How does one clean their Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sheltleth

How does one clean their Spydie?

Post by sheltleth »

I just took my SS Harpy up to the ranch, and needless to say it got a little dirty. I keep hearing a crunching noise like there's sand or dust inside of it? How would i go about cleaning the inside and/or opening it up?
zatoichi

Post by zatoichi »

I would not recommend taking it apart. I would send it to Spyderco. They might charge you a small fee...but I don't really know about that. Anyone else care to give sheltleth some real advice....
yog

Post by yog »

Hi Sheltleth, welcome to the forum.

First thing to try would be to flush it through with fast flowing water, remove the excess water, I then put a hair dryer on it as Can't stand the thought of water sitting on the steel, then use a penetrating lubricant like Tuf_glide to get into the pivot area. Use a cloth with some of the lubricant on it (I use a Tuf-Cloth) to wipe down the exposed surfaces including the blade.

"Walk softly, but carry a big stick."
Sword and Shield

Post by Sword and Shield »

To add to Yog's comments-I always clean the knife as best I can with cotton swabs before I wash it out. That minimizes the loose dirt that could clog the works.

Keepin' it real...real sharp, that is.
Formerly Nervous

Post by Formerly Nervous »

One thing i have found useful in that sort of situation is the compressed air cans you buy for cleaning your computer... use the tiny straw provided, to blow out between the liners. Have some one shoot blasts of air while you work the blade.. that will get alot of the grime out if your blade was not heavly oiled.. soo.. now ya have options.
Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy »

One more addition to Yogs comments, when you flush things under the faucet use hot water. It will dry naturally (evaporate) and not cause rusting. Don't use too much lubricant, it will just attract dirt and so forth. Stainless doesn't mean stainproof, so don't think your knife won't rust. An old trick we use in construction... to lubricate our tape measures we use lighter fluid. It works good without attracting to much dirt.

"He who dies with the most Spydies wins"