Spyderco Newbie - Best All-Around Hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Harry1922

Spyderco Newbie - Best All-Around Hawkbill?

Post by Harry1922 »

Hi Everybody - greatly anticipating the purchase of my first Spyderco and trying to find the overall best knife for me.

With that said, I know I want a hawkbill blade but can't decide on which would be the best model to have for everyday carry but slight usage - more just for cutting a box or rope here and there but still always in my pocket should a self defense need arise. So, if you could only carry one, which would it be: The new Tasman Salt, the CF Harpy, Stainless Harpy, Spyderhawk (too big?) or Merlin...?

Really appreciate your opinions.

Best,
-Harry1922
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Of the models you mentioned, I'd suggest the Tasman Salt. It's easliy available, reasonably priced, the FRN handle offers a much more secure grip than either stainless steel or glossy CF, and you know with 100% certainty the blade will never rust. Get the serrated, it will do better on the rope and box cutting.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

Id suggest the CF harpy, just because its that cool.

But the tasman would be a great all around knife that you wouldnt be too mad if it got beat up a little.
JD Spydo

Hawkbills spoken here

Post by JD Spydo »

First of all "Harry1922" I wish you a hearty welcome to the Spyderco Forum :) . I guess before I recommend you a Hawkbill I kind of need to know what cutting chores you anticipate doing? Deacon's recommendation of a TASMAN Salt, H-1 is truly a great one for a beginner who has never used a Hawkbill blade before. Personally I carry daily a G-10 handled Harpy which is the same size with a different blade steel and different handle.

However if you have some heavy duty, rough cutting chores I would absolutely recommend one of the older Spyderhawks ( that is if you can locate one :D ) But with the new model Superhawk almost ready to be released to the public you might just go ahead and wait on that one to be released. But the TASMAN would be a great one to start out with.

But if it's truly a Hawkbill blade you want>>~~~ then you've come to the right place ;)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
drf

Post by drf »

another vote for the tasman--great knife
carrot

Post by carrot »

And if you can't bring yourself to pay the $50+ right away for a Tasman, a suitable cheaper alternative is Spyderco's Byrd Crossbill. I believe it's bigger than the Tasman, but pretty well built and a nice piece for the $20 and change you can get it for.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Welcome Harry! I personally like the serrated harpy, although any of the Spyders (or Byrd) mentioned in this thread will do you justice! :D

One thing I like about the harpy is that I find it an easy size knife to carry and use.

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

I vote Tasman Salt too.... the plainedge is no slouch either.....esp. with cardboard i prefer the nice, straight clean cuts but if you're gonna be cutting lots of rope..... spyderedge is the ticket.... ;) the Crossbill is significantly bigger/heavier than the Tasman, but it'll satisfy your "hawkbill lust" at 1/2 the price.... :p
BTW : Welcome to the forums Harry....
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I'd go for the fully serrated Tasman as well :cool: :cool:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Harry1922

Post by Harry1922 »

Just wanted to thank you all for the quick and informative responses - looks like I'll be ordering a Tasman fully serrated tonight!

Thanks again!
-Harry1922
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

I just placed an order of a Yellow Tasman PE after reading this thread. oh god
deeker

Post by deeker »

The Tasmans are great, but don't forget to look at the Byrd Crossbill as well. It's got a milder curve to the blade, and Stainless Steel handles, and is fairly inexpensive. A good way to test out the hawkbill-style knives.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I just bought my first hawkbill about 3 weeks ago. It was a PE black Tasman Salt. I love it. In fact, it's on me today. It is really growing on me and I never thought I would like hawkbills. If things end up working out, later today I'll be the owner of a new Harpy. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Michael Cook

train hard and stay safe!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Some don't consider s-curved hawkbills true hawkbills (I do) but I think the dodo just can't be beat. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai