Question for R2 users...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
APS

Question for R2 users...

Post by APS »

For those of you that love and use the R2, have you found anything that you didn't like about it functionally? Like, do the handle cutouts really attract dirt, get caught on stuff, prematurely wear pockets?

I am interested in this model due to it's flat ground blade, deep choil and handle long enough that it appears to offer a choil or no choil grip depending upon what kind of cutting you're doing (I don't like being locked into a choil-only grip). The Para was awesome in this respect but it's tip-down and in general I prefer VG-10.

Thanks,
Adam
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I had two functional issues with the R2. The first, and most serious, was the "thumb reach" was not comfortable for me. I have relatively small hands and short thumbs and found it did not work as well for me as the Stretch. I believe the combination of a longer distance between the center of the blade pivot and the center of the Spyderhole and the broader handle both contribute to this. The other issue was solvable, the blade and lock bar pivot screws kept wanting to unscrew, "industrial strength" Loctite finally cured that problem.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I edc R2 five days a week at work for eight month. I brake down cardboard boxes, open letters, help with lunch, I cut whatever need to be cut. It doesn't attract dirt, doesn't wear my jeans, it is just very good EDC at least for me. Perfect size, comfortable handle and looks good.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

i haven't used my R2 as much as bh49 has, but i've had no "lint" problems carrying the knife in a jeans pocket..... but I also had to use a little blue locktite on the pivot pin as well to keep it from loosening.....after that little fix, I haven't found any "gripes" about the R2..... ;)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Orlando De Free

Post by Orlando De Free »

APS - My R2 SE is the most comfortable and easy to use work knife that I have.

orlando
APS

Post by APS »

Thank you all for your informative posts! You sealed the deal for me ;)

Adam
Slick

Post by Slick »

My R2s are in the chase for best knife ever. Lint can be an issue but a quick cleaning negates that issue and I have few other complaints.

LIGHT, quick, and VG-10 is a great combination.

The bestestest attribute is the ease of drawing and repocketing an R2. Very smooth with excellant grip due the metal scales WITH CUTOUTS. I normally dislike metal scales but the R2 is an exceptional difference.

Very thin, easy on the pocket, good grip, and so cool even the NKP give it a pass.

How could it be any better.

ZDP laminate?
Not really all that slick ;)
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

My R2 is almost always in my pocket, along with my Manix and Caly Jr. It is a very ergonomic (to me) and lighweight design with excellent blade geometry. Sometimes I get a little lent on the blade, but I just wipe it off with my shirt and all is good in the world. I have large hands and find the grip comfortable with or without the choil, and have no problems with my thumb reach for opening the blade. The main thing I didn't like about mine was the frop point, so I had STR flatten the spine to give it a very pointy tip.

Mike
APS

Post by APS »

Thanks for all of the replies, folks. My new R2 should be arriving 8/24. Can't wait.
Adam
bh49

Post by bh49 »

APS wrote:Thanks for all of the replies, folks. My new R2 should be arriving 8/24. Can't wait.
Adam
Smart move Adam. Enjoy your new R2.
Good luck,
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Slick wrote:My R2s are in the chase for best knife ever. Lint can be an issue but a quick cleaning negates that issue and I have few other complaints.

LIGHT, quick, and VG-10 is a great combination.

The bestestest attribute is the ease of drawing and repocketing an R2. Very smooth with excellant grip due the metal scales WITH CUTOUTS. I normally dislike metal scales but the R2 is an exceptional difference.

Very thin, easy on the pocket, good grip, and so cool even the NKP give it a pass.

How could it be any better.

ZDP laminate?
I agree with you 110% Slick! but make mine solid ZDP189 please.... ;) .... I'm actually more than happy with the "standard" VG-10 blade.....but I'd love to see a "Delica-sized" R2 someday.... something to fill the niche between the "S" and the R2.... :rolleyes:

BTW Adam, congrats in advance on a great knife! :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Tom v S

Post by Tom v S »

Adam,

Here is a pic, so the waiting doesn't hurt so much :D

Great knife!

Tom
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The R2 has, in my opinion, one of the all time best blade designs of any pocket folder. The size is about perfect and though I generally don't like aluminium grips, the Almite does it's job and keeps it from slipping. An all around great knife, and nice cutter.A sleeper to the general public, like the Stretch, Volpe, Dodo, temperance and a few others. Appreciated by those in the know. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The R2 is a great EDC. Congrats on the order! I have no issues with the cutouts. On the contrary, the cutouts help with the grip. Almite on Alu tends to get slippery, moreso than SS, and the cutouts help. I even like my R2 better than my Ti ATR :eek: .

one more pic to help with the wait...

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
APS

Post by APS »

Tom, Wouter, excellent pics!

Oh Friday! Why can't you be here NOW!
Adam