boxcutters?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dijos

boxcutters?

Post by Dijos »

i posted the same question on bladeforums, but how does everyone feel about boxcutters as a design platform for a tactical knife-big handle, small blade. they are reported to be the #1 killer among stabbing/cutting fatalaties, I believe. Obviously, they're made for a different application, butit got me wondering this weekend..
Clay Kesting

Post by Clay Kesting »

Dijos,

I recall posting on this subject some time ago on BF. Whilst most users look for as large a blade as possible in a given handle, Spyderco has several knives which use a large handle for control with a relatively small blade. The Gunting is an obvious example, but the Military also has a larger handle than is needed for its blade length and some of the smaller knives like the Navigator also have a short blade in a relatively large handle. Sal has used the example of a scalpel before when talking about the relation of blade to handle length, but the same applies to the box cutter (we call them Stanley knives). I think the concept has much merit as it focuses on the use and ergonomics of the knife.

Clay

"The trouble is that you think you have time."