Crazy deals @ Sierra and other places

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Crazy deals @ Sierra and other places

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:16 am
The stainless steel Kopa is only 65 on Rivers Edge Cutlery
Dang! OoS...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

jdw wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:20 am
Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:57 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:24 am
Not sure how long they have had the sale up, but Smoky Mountain Knife Works has a bunch of the discontinued Spydies on sale now too.

They still have SE Pacific Salts in stock for all the fans. Both satin and DLC, with satin for $67.32.
lol of course they do. i'd rather edc a lil native than do business with SMKW, but thanks for the heads up!
Why do you dislike SMKW? They aren't my go to retailer but I had good service with them in the past. I really am just curious.
1. I pre-ordered a knife with them and they withdrew funds within 60 seconds. No biggie, but a little unusual.
2. When the knife was ready to ship they emailed me and said "Hey, WE made the mistake of listing this knife for the wrong price. You have to pay more money if you want your knife, despite what we're asking being illegal in your country."
3. I said no, give me my money back.
4. 24 hours later, I did not have my money. My email went unanswered.
5. Same thing 48 hours later, 72 hours later....nothing. No emails back, no money, nothing.
6. I call them and they say they are still "processing" my refund a week later. I tell them if I see nothing in my bank account within 24 hours I'm going through my bank instead of them, because its just getting silly at this point.
7. Nothing 24 hours later, so I do a chargeback on my bank to get my money back months after I gave it to them. At this point I was already fed up and unwilling to do business with them again.
8. They continue to send me a catalog every two weeks for the next six months. Every single catalog I write in black sharpie across the front RETURN TO SENDER. I sent back over 20 catalogs. I emailed them and called over ten times each saying DO NOT SEND ME ANYTHING FROM YOUR COMPANY, PERIOD.
9. Three months later I am STILL getting spammed their catalogs, and I end up having to file a complaint with my post office to get them to stop.

Its beyond amatuer hour over there.
:unicorn
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:08 am
jdw wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:20 am
Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:57 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:24 am
Not sure how long they have had the sale up, but Smoky Mountain Knife Works has a bunch of the discontinued Spydies on sale now too.

They still have SE Pacific Salts in stock for all the fans. Both satin and DLC, with satin for $67.32.
lol of course they do. i'd rather edc a lil native than do business with SMKW, but thanks for the heads up!
Why do you dislike SMKW? They aren't my go to retailer but I had good service with them in the past. I really am just curious.
1. I pre-ordered a knife with them and they withdrew funds within 60 seconds. No biggie, but a little unusual.
2. When the knife was ready to ship they emailed me and said "Hey, WE made the mistake of listing this knife for the wrong price. You have to pay more money if you want your knife, despite what we're asking being illegal in your country."
3. I said no, give me my money back.
4. 24 hours later, I did not have my money. My email went unanswered.
5. Same thing 48 hours later, 72 hours later....nothing. No emails back, no money, nothing.
6. I call them and they say they are still "processing" my refund a week later. I tell them if I see nothing in my bank account within 24 hours I'm going through my bank instead of them, because its just getting silly at this point.
7. Nothing 24 hours later, so I do a chargeback on my bank to get my money back months after I gave it to them. At this point I was already fed up and unwilling to do business with them again.
8. They continue to send me a catalog every two weeks for the next six months. Every single catalog I write in black sharpie across the front RETURN TO SENDER. I sent back over 20 catalogs. I emailed them and called over ten times each saying DO NOT SEND ME ANYTHING FROM YOUR COMPANY, PERIOD.
9. Three months later I am STILL getting spammed their catalogs, and I end up having to file a complaint with my post office to get them to stop.

Its beyond amatuer hour over there.
They also sell products glamorizing an army that fought (and lost) a war against the United States to maintain the brutal system of chattel slavery.
🙃
Last edited by aaronkb on Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fng5

Post by Fng5 »

aaronkb wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:53 am
They also sell products glamorizing an army that fought (and lost) a war against the United Stated to maintain the brutal system of chattel slavery.
🙃

We get to do this all over again!
Lorelei wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:12 pm
aaronkb wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:47 pm
Candyman wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:48 am
Smoky Mountain Knifeworks has the Sage 1 discounted to $115.37! Heck of a deal!

Rich
Too bad, I’ll honestly never buy from a retailer that sells items with confederate flags 🤷‍♂️

I'm sure that they're scrambling at this very minute to create a forum account whereby they can offer you a "special" discount for off-topic virtue-signaling.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Fng5 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:59 am
aaronkb wrote:
They also sell products glamorizing an army that fought (and lost) a war against the United Stated to maintain the brutal system of chattel slavery.
🙃

Lorelei wrote:
aaronkb wrote:
Candyman wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:48 am
Smoky Mountain Knifeworks has the Sage 1 discounted to $115.37! Heck of a deal!

Rich
Too bad, I’ll honestly never buy from a retailer that sells items with confederate flags 🤷‍♂️

I'm sure that they're scrambling at this very minute to create a forum account whereby they can offer you a "special" discount for off-topic virtue-signaling.
Sorry it bothers you, but some things are worth making noise about. If you’re more offended by me calling out the glamorization of slavery than you are by, I dunno, the glamorization of slavery, that’s between you and your morals - dunno what to tell ya. But I’m gonna keep making noise any time SMKW comes up. It’s my version of shiny footprints.
Fng5

Post by Fng5 »

:spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Why are you trying to start a fight about that on this forum?

People be crazy.
vivi

Post by vivi »

aaronkb wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:26 am
Fng5 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:59 am
aaronkb wrote:
🙃

Lorelei wrote:
aaronkb wrote:

Sorry it bothers you, but some things are worth making noise about. If you’re more offended by me calling out the glamorization of slavery than you are by, I dunno, the glamorization of slavery, that’s between you and your morals - dunno what to tell ya. But I’m gonna keep making noise any time SMKW comes up. It’s my version of shiny footprints.
Are you ok with stores that sell products from China?
:unicorn
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

aaronkb wrote:
Sorry it bothers you, but some things are worth making noise about.
No, you're NOT sorry at all. Otherwise you'd stop spouting your political nonsense where you are told it's not wanted. The only thing your "noise" does is irritate people who don't want to see it. Sorry if that bothers you...
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rivy

Post by rivy »

Hold whatever opinions you want... in a thread that's not reserved for DEALS please.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

...or at least take it to Off Topic. Vent away there. You can even tag the folks you want to debate.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This is a forum for the discussion of knives and this is a thread for the discussion of crazy deals. If we want to go off topic then there is a forum for that too. However, politics is not welcome there either. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:41 pm
aaronkb wrote:
Sorry it bothers you, but some things are worth making noise about.
No, you're NOT sorry at all. Otherwise you'd stop spouting your political nonsense where you are told it's not wanted. The only thing your "noise" does is irritate people who don't want to see it. Sorry if that bothers you...
I would LOVE to know what this has to do with politics. Since when is slavery a political issue? Thought our country settled that ages ago.

I also think it’s funny that none of you were bothered by another user listing their issues with SMKW at length. I haven’t seen a peep out of anybody about that being off-topic, even though that user wasn’t mentioning any deal.

So for everyone complaining that it’s off-topic for me to mention my issue with SMKW... your credibility is stretched pretty thin. The other user’s comment about their issues with SMKW had nothing to do with crazy deals.

So maybe y’all are just a liiiiiiittle bit sensitive when somebody criticizes them for promoting a confederate battle flag? Just food for thought.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wait...slavery is still a thing?? Why is this even a discussion?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
PStone

Post by PStone »

aaronkb wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:51 pm

I also think it’s funny that none of you were bothered by another user listing their issues with SMKW at length. I haven’t seen a peep out of anybody about that being off-topic, even though that user wasn’t mentioning any deal.

I can’t speak for others, but the reason I think Vivi’s post didn’t generate such negative feedback for being off topic, is because it was just off topic. Not political. This and the what’s in your pocket thread very regularly go off topic. It’s not a big deal. Also, it’s Vivi. He’s an incredibly active, knowledgeable, helpful, and very long standing member. He is constantly giving insights into use and design, as well as guiding other novice members to further enjoy their tools by sharing all the knowledge he has gained in the last 30 years as a knife user. For free. Without expecting anything in return. With all that said, if Vivi were to start posting about his political beliefs, he would get told just like you are that this isn’t the place for that.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:44 pm
aaronkb wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:51 pm

I can’t speak for others, but the reason I think Vivi’s post didn’t generate such negative feedback for being off topic, is because it was just off topic. Not political. This and the what’s in your pocket thread very regularly go off topic. It’s not a big deal. Also, it’s Vivi. He’s an incredibly active, knowledgeable, helpful, and very long standing member. He is constantly giving insights into use and design, as well as guiding other novice members to further enjoy their tools by sharing all the knowledge he has gained in the last 30 years as a knife user. For free. Without expecting anything in return. With all that said, if Vivi were to start posting about his political beliefs, he would get told just like you are that this isn’t the place for that.
I appreciate the thoughtful response, thank you.

That said, it’s not a political belief. Y’all have probably made all kinds of assumptions about my politics, but it was a Republican leader who defeated the confederacy.

Neither of the main political parties, as far as I’m aware, advocates that slavery is a good thing.

That the civil war was about slavery is also not political; it’s a matter of historical fact. Yes, the south seceded due to “government overreach.” What policies constituted that “overreach”? They were policies that specifically threatened the institution of slavery. One of the critical ones had to do with whether slavery would be permitted in new states as they were added to the union.

Another interesting historical fact, which has nothing to do with political beliefs, is that that flag as a symbol pretty much died until the civil rights era. It was revived by groups opposing the civil rights movements, as a reminder of slavery and an intimidation tactic. Again, this has nothing to do with politics. As far as I’m aware, both of our major political parties are pro-civil rights and anti Jim Crow.

I am still waiting for anyone to tell me why this is a political issue at all, because I genuinely don’t understand.

-EDIT-
I should add that I think the north has slavery in its heritage almost as much as the south... it was economic conditions that made it easier for the north to give it up a little sooner. I just don’t think it’s a part of our heritage that ANY of us should be celebrating or glamorizing, which is what SMKW does by selling knives with a confederate battle flag on them. Again... not a political issue.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

This thread has been going for 12 years. It's 204 pages long. So much useful information was shared. And then it went way off the rails.

There are so many comments that aren't appropriate for our forum. I'm not saying the comments aren't part of an important topic or valid. I'm saying this forum isn't the place for that discussion. I'm disappointed that I have to close this thread after all of these years, but the time it will take to clean it up...

Please remember, we all have opinions, and we all have causes that we champion. This forum is about Spyderco. Spyderco products, history, people, philosophy, etc.

This forum is also about the people who make up our community. It truly is a special place filled with exceptional people. We learn not only about Spyderco, but we learn about and with each other. We don't always agree with each other, but we can still respect each other and be kind to one another.

I'll start a new thread, and let's try our collective best to keep that one on track.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.