Crazy deals @ Sierra and other places

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Re: Crazy deals @ Sierra and other places

Post by xceptnl »

Demon85z wrote:Isnt it a law in some states if its listed at that price ,and someone buys it they have to honor it? Took my chances as well!
It is here, that's why i took the gamble
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SG89

Post by SG89 »

lol this caly jr pre-order saga is pretty entertaining... hope it works out for yall
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Rats... foiled again, post from the official fb Spyderco group (TazKristi); Hey, everyone: Unfortunately, that is a mistake on our side. We're notifying our distributors and dealers so the pricing that you've seen is going to change. The correct MSRP for the Calypso Jr. Sprint is $119.95. That puts MAP at $77.97. I'm not sure how the mistake was made but we're correcting it on this end. On our behalf, I'm sorry for the confusion and disappointment.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If they have already charged a bunch of peoples cards that makes this interesting. I wonder how that will play out. I guess they could just refund everybody.

You really shouldn't be running cards on preorders though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:You really shouldn't be running cards on preorders though.
This.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

ross8425 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:You really shouldn't be running cards on preorders though.
This.
+1, but it was a gamble as i said before. I would happily pay either price.
*Landon*
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Nobody is getting a Caly 3 Jr in SB for $30.32. Not gonna happen.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

on_the_edge wrote:Nobody is getting a Caly 3 Jr in SB for $30.32. Not gonna happen.
Agreed. It was an honest mistake and IMO it would be unreasonable to expect that price to be honored. Probably wouldn't even cover the production costs on the knife.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I ordered one at 30.32 (SMKW) but not interested enough in the knife to pay 77.97.. Hope we all get a refund.. Wonder how this will play out?? John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

jmh58 wrote:I ordered one at 30.32 (SMKW) but not interested enough in the knife to pay 77.97.. Hope we all get a refund.. Wonder how this will play out?? John :D
Understandably, but I beg to differ. Honestly I knew this was a mistake, but wanted to see how it played out. That being said, I think $77.97 is a VERY reasonable price for a knife of this caliber. Tell me the last time we saw a sprint in this price bracket.
*Landon*
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

xceptnl wrote:
jmh58 wrote:I ordered one at 30.32 (SMKW) but not interested enough in the knife to pay 77.97.. Hope we all get a refund.. Wonder how this will play out?? John :D
Understandably, but I beg to differ. Honestly I knew this was a mistake, but wanted to see how it played out. That being said, I think $77.97 is a VERY reasonable price for a knife of this caliber. Tell me the last time we saw a sprint in this price bracket.
k390 urban is still a real 'steal' :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
xceptnl wrote:
k390 urban is still a real 'steal' :D
A valid example, but we have very few of them to spout off about. I chose not to get too involved in the MAP pricing debate because I know the honest truth is I will buy what I want and the price only determines how many. They K390 Urban is another that i just can't see passing up. Cost to worth ratio is just too good to resist.
*Landon*
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

So my question is, for those of you that did put in the pre order for $30, can they go back and automatically charge your card the difference? That could potentially cause problems for people who keep very little in an account.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

xceptnl wrote:
Landon.. I did not say the knife was not worth the corrected price.. All I said was I am not interested in it at that price.. John :D

KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

SMKW is a fair and honest dealer from my experience. I can't see them charging the difference without notification. Also, I hope no one is upset when they update the price and issue refunds. Crazy low price SNAFU with Amazon (Caly 3s), yes put up a stink if they don't honor. Independent well-intentioned small guys, cut em some slack, wasn't their fault.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

also, there was a situation where SMKW left off a 1 in front of a 20 dollar price tag...

...they honored it!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
rivy

Post by rivy »

KnickKnackCity wrote:SMKW is a fair and honest dealer from my experience. I can't see them charging the difference without notification. Also, I hope no one is upset when they update the price and issue refunds. Crazy low price SNAFU with Amazon (Caly 3s), yes put up a stink if they don't honor. Independent well-intentioned small guys, cut em some slack, wasn't their fault.
Makes sense, hopefully they address it and issue refunds soon though. I don’t want to wait until next year sometime to get my money back. Oh well, it’s only $38 or so after shipping and insurance fees.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

If a product is advertised at a price and is invoiced at that price it should be honored at that price.. NO matter who made a mistake.. Its funny how it is being construed here.. If it wasn't a Spyderco knife and say tires I wonder how things would go?? John :D

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I question the ethics that it is ok to hold Amazon to a price but not a dealer. I agree that we should support the good guys but I do not agree that it is ok to hold the big guys to a different standard. That is how our legal system works with lawsuits often over compensating from companies with deep pockets. I have always felt that usually in order to be just you must also be consistent.

I feel like if it was a preorder hold only it would be different but billing people's cards for an advertised amount complicates things.

Either way I assume some people will be getting refunds. They still haven't updated the price and are still taking preorders so I assume they have over sold. I also assume that some opportunistic people saw this as a chance to turn a profit and ordered a handful.

I do hope that they don't lose a bunch of money though. They seem like one of the good guys and it doesn't sound like it was all their fault.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

jmh58 wrote:
xceptnl wrote:
Landon.. I did not say the knife was not worth the corrected price.. All I said was I am not interested in it at that price.. John :D
I understood your meaning. I am just a fanboy of the design so i will always be a proponent of the Caly Jr. Your point is very valid.
*Landon*