The purpose of the G-10 Police model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Episteme

The purpose of the G-10 Police model

Post by Episteme »

I own a serrated G-10 Police model (full flat grind). It does not have the 'false-edge' toward the tip like the SS version has, but instead it gradually tapers at the spine. I would like to know what the official purpose of the G-10 Police was designed for? I ask this because it seems that this model's tip is almost as thin and delicate as my Civilian model, and I imagine that if the full flat grind Police were to be used as a general utility knife, the tip would be in jeopardy of breaking off (rendering the knife almost useless). On the other hand, if the design of this knife were to be a thrusting tool for self-defense, than wouldn't this tip also be too fragile to hold up in an extreme tactical environment? (think military use).
I like my G-10 Police a lot, and I wear it on my pocket often...I only wonder about the 'fragile tip' and what purpose this design is best suited for.
Best,
Mike
"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me." -Immanuel Kant

"I do not worry about what will happen; only what needs to be done". -Lucious Hunt, "The Village"
bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

Use it, abuse it, do not worry about it. My main EDC and 2nd favorite :spyder: are my G-10 Police flat grinds (PE and SE). The flat grind and distal taper give the tip more strength than the hollow ground versions.

The G-10s came both hollow and flat ground and I own both but the flatty gets all the work.

Bigk6
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hmm, personally I would not consider the tip of the full flat ground Police any more delicate than the one on the "saber with swedge" style. As any other full flat ground blade, it would be best suited for slicing. It may also have been an attempt at a less menacing looking version of the Police. To many people, myself included, swedge ground knives appear to be designed as stabbing weapons rather than cutting tools.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Episteme

Post by Episteme »

Thanks for the responses. My G-10 full-flat ground Police model is perhaps my favorite Spyder right now.
-Mike
"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me." -Immanuel Kant

"I do not worry about what will happen; only what needs to be done". -Lucious Hunt, "The Village"
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I SO envy you guys. SIGH.
Jeff/1911

G10 Police models

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Darn...I used to have the newer version with liners and flat ground blade in both plain edge and serrated, and the older style, with no liners and the hollow ground blade in plain edge. Somehow, I managed to let all three "get away" from me. :rolleyes:
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

How bout some pictures of that G10 version???
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
Slatts

Post by Slatts »

The Paradox of the G-10 Police Flat Grind. Everybody loves them or wants one and Spyderco doesn't make any more of them. I've shown mine to non-knife friends that were smitten by them. A re-introduction of the G-10 Police model, Sal?
sal

Post by sal »

Slatts wrote:The Paradox of the G-10 Police Flat Grind. Everybody loves them or wants one and Spyderco doesn't make any more of them. I've shown mine to non-knife friends that were smitten by them. A re-introduction of the G-10 Police model, Sal?
When we introduced the version, it was considered an "upgrade". The market didn't want any part of it no matter how we made it (full flat, saber, liners, no liners, etc).

We have a P2 designed. The maker didn't want to use the ball bearing lock so it will have a mid-back-lock. Once (if?) the design is refined a bit and the "real world" accepts it, we'll play with other locks.

sal
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Oh man, a Police with a ball lock would have been nifty.

I think what a lot of people seem to miss is that certain models that are disco'd and very popular and htf are that way because there's not a huge number of them out there because of poor sales. Also it seems anything disco'd is immediately more desirable.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

sal wrote:When we introduced the version, it was considered an "upgrade". The market didn't want any part of it no matter how we made it (full flat, saber, liners, no liners, etc).

We have a P2 designed. The maker didn't want to use the ball bearing lock so it will have a mid-back-lock. Once (if?) the design is refined a bit and the "real world" accepts it, we'll play with other locks.
See? I knew you had something worthy of the casual bombshell thread waiting to come out...

Are there any traditional Spyderco's that will have a ball lock? I'd love to have a ball-lock...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Flyguy,

The ball lock with the cage (like the P'kal) is one we're developing for the Golden factory. We're currently considering which models would benefit from the lock change.

sal
bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

**** Yeah!!!!!!!!! Happy dance, happy dance!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :D :D

Sal, You have made a broke down old Geezer very, very happy at the meer
possibility of a revamped Police model.

Bigk6
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Yay! I've been waiting on a new ball lock for awhile. The P'kal is unfortunatly not a knife I would normally use.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

Firefighter880 wrote:How bout some pictures of that G10 version???
Here's a pic of the flat grind G-10s (one with POLICE engraved in the blade and the other clean) plus a carbon fiber version (hollow grind). I'll carry them every once in a while when I want a big blade. No serrated as I don't own any. :)

enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Yea, wish I'd never sold mine. Sold it right before I left active duty with the Marines. Had no liners. Loved it.
JD Spydo

A difficult one to summize

Post by JD Spydo »

The lackluster interest in the G-10 Police at the time of it's tenure has been one of the most baffling mysteries to me as far as why it wasn't received well. I'm wondering if it wasn't more of a PRICE or Dealer's Choice type of issue :confused: ? Or maybe it was just another Spyder that was a victim of what I've referred to as the "Golden Era Of Spyders" ( 1998-2003) in which there were so many super classics on the line up that some of them just got unjustly passed by :(

But the G-10 Harpy apparently suffered the same fate. If I were to lose my G-10 Harpy I would truly suffer some serious depression :o . I use that little Hawkbill almost daily. It is truly my favorite of all the Harpys. And the G-10 Police is also another one that I would dearly love to see offered again.

But there were a bunch of Spyders that suffered at the box office but are now some of the most coveted. The American consumer is probably the most difficult animal to understand. What you think would be a "slam dunk" becomes a failure and what you think would be a novelty becomes the next box office smash. Spyderco isn't the only company that has witnessed that anomaly. "ONLY IN AMERICA" as Don King would say :rolleyes:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:Hi Flyguy,

The ball lock with the cage (like the P'kal) is one we're developing for the Golden factory. We're currently considering which models would benefit from the lock change.

sal
Is any chance for Dodo?
Thanks,
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dewingrm

Post by dewingrm »

I would love to see the G10 Police and Harpy return to production. I had SS handled Police model for a few years but it just didn't work out for me. The SS handled Police was very slippery when using it with gloved hands. I live in Wisconsin and I'm wearing gloves about 6 months out of the year. Hopefully my new Military will work better while wearing gloves. I did like the Police model for IWB concealed carry. It was very easy to conceal and plenty of knife for any unpleasant encounter. I would definitely buy a G10 Police.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I think, outside of the very small market the "affi" community accounts for, G-10 is viewed as just another plastic and most people equate plastic with cheap. Low cost is the major thing that makes plastic tolerable to them. Unlike FRN, G-10 does not make the knife less expensive. In fact, the relative price points of the FRN and G-10 Byrds does make one question how much difference is really justified. Exceptional good looks might be one reason to buy a more expensive knife even if it's plastic, but in the form Spyderco elects to use it, G-10 is unattractive to the point of being downright ugly. A marked savings in weight might be a reason to pay more for a knife, but compared to FRN, G-10 is as heavy, or heavier.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!