Jester Dilemma

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bluntrauma

Jester Dilemma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone has had this experience. I carry an SS Jester on my key chain. One day I was cleaning it up and sprayed a little WD-40 at the joint of the knife. From that point on for the entire day the lock would not work. I checked it out a few days later and it locked up just fine. But, I can't help but feel a little leary of it now. Any thoughts?
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
i.v

Post by i.v »

There could be something wrong with you knife. I just took a few of mine and use WD-40 on the locks and pivot areas and they all locked up normally. Send it in to Spyderco maybe?

It also doesn't make sense that a lockback would suffer from this, I can see how a liner lock might slip if the tang and liner are lubricated but not a lockback..
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Had to have loosened up some gunk that got in there just right and kept the lock from working. That would have been a sign for me to detail clean the knife. If that didn't work, stop carrying it immediately, and return it to spyderco warranty for a diagnosis. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I think Joe hit the nail on the head...must of loosened some gunk or trapped some lint with the oil....if it's no longer happening I wouldn't give it a second thought....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Thanks I appreciate all the replies. I am going to give it a shot(WD-40) today and see if the lock faulters. If so, off to Spyderco. It's such a small knife that I use my thumb high up on the blade to do detail work. I can't have it fold over on me.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.