SE or PE, which is best for girlfriend.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Milu

SE or PE, which is best for girlfriend.

Post by Milu »

I already have my answer to the question - serrated.

I'll probably get flamed for this but WTH. I believe one should never lend tools, especially to a woman.

Women seem incapable of understanding how a tool should be used - knives in particular. I used to have an assistant who was proud of the fact that she could change a plug - her mother had taught all her daughters that skill, because mum had shown her how to do it with a tableknife, she would ONLY do it with a table knife, refusing to use a screwdriver. She even taught other ladies on the team to fit an electric plug with a tableknife. The cutlery in her house looked very distressed!

I gave my gf a folder, a mcusta, in a matter of weeks she reduced a perfect, sharp edge to a blunt, nailnicked, chipped lenght of steel. She maintained she only used it to cut vitamin pills in half and to open a few packages! I worked days to restore it. I've now given her a dragonfly for daily use, this is holding up much better.

I believe that a SE is better for girlfriends (allright, for non knife people of the female persuasion if we're going to be pc) as it will keep cutting for longer and hence not encourage poor use methods and practices. Further a SE does not lend itself quite so much to non knife uses encouraging the gf to find some other tool to abuse.
My father always taught me not to trust a man who was not interested in cars, guns and knives.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have given my girlfriend a number of knives over the last fifteen years, and the serrated models hold up better than the plain edge. The flip side is, I get to reprofile both kinds for her periodically, and it is a lot more work on the serrated blades. I've even had to resort to the Dremel a time or two (she's a landscaper).
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: anyone, boy or girl should stick with serrated if they won't commit to learning how to keep a knife sharp. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Milu wrote:I already have my answer to the question - serrated.

I'll probably get flamed for this but WTH. I believe one should never lend tools, especially to a woman.

Women seem incapable of understanding how a tool should be used - knives in particular. I used to have an assistant who was proud of the fact that she could change a plug - her mother had taught all her daughters that skill, because mum had shown her how to do it with a tableknife, she would ONLY do it with a table knife, refusing to use a screwdriver. She even taught other ladies on the team to fit an electric plug with a tableknife. The cutlery in her house looked very distressed!
No flaming, here, Milu, just a comment...I think I understand your point of view. In a way it's not surprising, and it's likely got a lot of truth to it, what you say about some women messing up tools...most of us don't grow up being taught to use tools, nor have the curiosity that boys have about how to use them.

I'll cast my vote for serrated! :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

my girlfriend doesn't like the look of SE (too manly, she says), so I have no choice to give her PE. At least they're easy to sharpen.
picobrain

Post by picobrain »

My wife is plain edge,
so i think a serrated girlfriend would be nice.

peace
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

picobrain wrote:My wife is plain edge,
so i think a serrated girlfriend would be nice.
make sure you keep them separated , **** hath no fury like TWO women scorned
spyder spyder spyder spyder
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Serrated is ALWAYS the best choice :D :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p