Retail availability of Byrd knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gac

Retail availability of Byrd knives?

Post by gac »

Are their any retail chains that carry Byrd knives? I'd like to take a look at the different models to decide on what I might like to get.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Bass Pro Shops only had one model, in a blister pack, the last I checked; it was a Black Byrd Meadowlack.

I don't know about smaller shops though.
gac

Post by gac »

At that price range I figured the knives would be covered in plastic packaging. Maybe I'll just order the Crossbill and see if I like the blade shape.
tap

Post by tap »

gac wrote:At that price range I figured the knives would be covered in plastic packaging.
My Robin did come in a 4-1/2"X 7-1/4" box with plastic and a hanger to display the open knife. It would allow a display with some help as far as theft.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I've actually found two of the three that I own in the little "bargain bins" at the local B&M knife shops... a lot of high end places that generally retail 100$ plus blades stick everything worth less than about 40$ together. If you don't mind rooting around through a bunch of frost cutlery and cheap chinese pieces of crap, you can find some real gold in there. The only other way I've found one is online. You might just have to put in the legwork (knife shops, sharpening places, pawn shops and such) to actually handle multiple models pre-purchase. Good luck, no matter how you get one you won't be dissappointed.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
MG_Saldivar

Post by MG_Saldivar »

You could also just buy from a dealer with a quick and easy returns policy, like Lighthound.com, in case you end up disliking a certain knife.

I'm lucky -- I live in Denver and can go handle new models at the Spyderco Outlet Store. :D
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I think the older models may be the ones in the blister packs. Both of my G10 Cara Cara's and G10 Meadowlark came in boxes. One of my Flights came in a box and one came in a blister pack. The 2 Flights are different in the fact that the one that came in the box had Taiwan on the blade, in much smaller letters, probabaly 1/2 the size as the ones on the blade of the one that came in the blister pack. The smaller letters are the same size as my other Byrds. However, the one with the larger Taiwan on the blade from the blister pack, had much smoother blade action then the newer boxed model.
Regards Sonny
Fender Strat...the Guitar that put the Rock in Rock&Roll
brimic

Post by brimic »

You could try a Sportsman's Warehouse if you have one near you. They have a pretty good selection of Byrd/Spyderco knives, but their prices might be a bit high.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sonny,

The one that said "Taiwan" on the Blade also said "Spyderco" on the blade?

The Flight was never made in Taiwan. I would like to get my hands on that piece.

sal
gac

Post by gac »

I'll have to try and look around the next time I'm in the nearest large town. Aside from the usual blister pack Winchester and no-name knives at the hardware stores there are no stores around here that sell knives.