S30V v Aluminum, 4th of July

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bell

S30V v Aluminum, 4th of July

Post by bell »

At the 4th July BBQ my wife says, "Do you have your knife" Wearing shorts I whip out my Mouse and hand it over. She opens it up and gets an ice pick grip, and lo, the pull tab on her can of diet whatever had failed so she proceeds to stab the top of the soda can until it surrendured. Jeez, good thing S30V trumps Aluminum.
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

I just thanked my fiance for not being an idiot after I read your post. Thanks for making me appreciate her more.
cjgrad23

Post by cjgrad23 »

oh jeez - can totally relate - my mom gave my native 3 (pe) serrations by prying it under nylon zip ties ugh!! (that knife became hers)
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

stabbing a soda can shouldent break or chip a tip of a knife.

Also prying sip-ties in my experience has never chipped a knife. I probably pry-30-40 zip ties a day and i have never come close to having a problem.

all knives are different I guess.
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

Right... those things shouldn't be difficult for a Spyderco to handle. But the common denominator here is S30V.

I tell ya... much as I love my Para-Millie and my Ritter Grips (and I've had no problems with any of them), I'm feelin' a whole new wave of appreciation for steels like VG-10, 154CM, and D2.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

My girlfriend is scared of using a knife, but not me carrying/having them, so I don't have to worry about this. She wouldn't even touch my Military. Think of that... :D
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Post by 224477 »

I am glad my GF is enough edge-u-cated, so she would never stab a soda, or any other can.
Glad your knife is ok and her hands too.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Whoa, I thought it was an ORIGINAL mouse..

BTW: Zip ties dont cause chips..what else did the cut?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Bell, even though S30V is awesome steel, I still winced when i read what happened :eek:
- Jazz.
John G.

Post by John G. »

I find the D4 and mini-griptilian actually work just fine as a can opener on thicker tuna-fish & baked beans cans while camping. I've never applied a twisting torque, but pointing the knife straight down like an icepick and slapping the butt-end with your hand to drive it into the can doesn't cause any problems. Even opeing a large sized can doesn't seem to dull the edge enough to make whittling wood take any noticeable more cutting force.

Of course, I've never tried using a serrated edge knife as a can opener, but I wouldn't be suprised to see chips if I did :rolleyes:

Also, I've never had a plastic zip-tie hurt either the plain or serrated edges of D4's or Mini-griptilians. But, I'm careful not to apply any twisting torque. Interestingly, the SE is easier for thick plastic zip ties or reinforced packing straps (like on lumber). The SE takes much much less slicing effort than the PE on plastic / fiberglass strapping.

I've always used a plain edge on those plastic coated, wire-reinforced "kids toy" twist-ties. The SE may be strong enough, but I'd rather let someone else test it - so I don't have to sharpen out any resulting chips ;)

If anyone's used a SE blade as a can-opener, or cutting wire -- Please let me know how it turned out !
cjgrad23

Post by cjgrad23 »

heres the thing with the zip ties - she would slide the knife under them then twist. the ties bent the edge over :( . very fine edge was on it too. upside, my mom likes :spyder: s now