CPM-D2 Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Blades wrote:I got my confirmation email on saturday. Mine is on order!!
HAPPY DANCE!!

Blades
Where did you order it? I didn't even know they were out yet. :confused:
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
SpydercoKnut

Post by SpydercoKnut »

I am loving this thread. However that does bother me that Crucible would make refine the D2 process which really does not need refined and produce a product that they might quiickly do away with. D2 is not a step down from the super steels a long with 154 cm imho. Sometimes is better to leave well enough alone!! Great thread here!!!

:spyder:
Lusting for a Spyderco in A2 or 154cm

:spyder:
butch

Post by butch »

i ll take cpm154 over 154cm any day be it cutting stuff in use or grinding out a blade and hand finishing it (its much nicer to finsh)
cant wait to see what the cpm does to the D2 to make it better
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

sal wrote:The foliage green G-10 is custom made for us.

It looks like David is trying to "force" us to make a foliage green G-10 Paramilitary. :p

We were trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the steel.

sal

Sal, I have to say I am actually excited about this one. I don't have a Millie or a Para yet...the Green G10 and D2 would push me over the edge on both!! Especially after you demonstrated at the Oregon Knife Show how YOU open the Millie!!!

Looking forward to this, Sal!!

Tim :D
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Native Justice

Post by Native Justice »

I'm gonna wait for the S90V. Dang that's great news that a sprint run in this steel is coming in the Mili. When can we expect it?

NJ
Be safe.

NJ

“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I am loving this thread. However that does bother me that Crucible would make refine the D2 process which really does not need refined and produce a product that they might quiickly do away with.
Why would this bother you? Personally I'm curious and kind of excited to see what changes are made by using this process on D2. I do have CPM154cm as well as 154cm knives just so I could try to see if there was a noticible difference in sharpening, edge holding, etc. IMO, D2 could possibly benefit more from the process than 154cm. Hopefully, we'll see what we can see.

D2 is not a step down from the super steels a long with 154 cm imho. Sometimes is better to leave well enough alone!! Great thread here!!!
You think 154cm, and D2 are up to the level of ZDP 189 and S90V ? Why would it be better to leave well enough alone? Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Slick

Post by Slick »

I'll buy (or not buy) as availble and to my means or not. ANY Millie is too big for my local LEO's. A Para Military is a possible carry but I fear my finger being under the lock button. Old habits are hard to break. Finger tips shear quicker than ****. Never lost any but years ago I worked for a Chef who whacked his. EM and cauterization. Nasty.

Ever since I am much more cautious of big, sharp, and scary blades. This describes all my knives!!!!

Any possible Lil'' Temp plus all the mules will get first shot at my money anyway.

Bless you for all the new choices.
Not really all that slick ;)
Blades

Post by Blades »

David Lowry wrote:Where did you order it? I didn't even know they were out yet. :confused:
I'll pm you. I just placed the pre-order, they are not out yet. I just want to make sure my name is already on one.
1499 to go.

Blades
--Jason--
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I guess I'm going to have to buy more than one to make up for forumites talking about not buying, or waiting for whatever. This is a nice guy move by Sal for his Steel Junkies and millie fans, not a big money making move. If these turn into money losing propositions how many more sprints will Sal want to do? My opinion anyway. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

Tank

Post by Tank »

Sal,
Sounds like a great knife, Is it going to be southpaw friendly? Either way I will have to have one but just curious.
-John
Ribz

Post by Ribz »

ill name my 2nd born after you if anyone can tell me where to pre order!! :D

:spyder: Mike
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm late to this party, having not paid attention to this thread earlier. I'm a big fan of D2 and own it in numerous Queen slippies and lockbacks. Looking at my steel notes, it's often said to "have excellent edge retention, be on the brittle side, has high wear resistance, pits readily in salt water & impact resistance is low." That's just what I've read various places--it's always worked great for me and I've had zero bad experiences with D2. Much as I'm thrilled Sal's making a D2 Millie, I will likely not buy, b/c I can't find use for such a large knife. Although I understand Sal's reasoning for using the Millie as a test platform. So I'll enjoy this one vicariously as you big-knife users put it to the test.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
GradeMaker

Post by GradeMaker »

How many will be made in run?
Blades

Post by Blades »

GradeMaker wrote:How many will be made in run?
1500 I think was mentioned.

Blades
--Jason--
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

What are the pros & cons of CPM-S90V vs CPM-D2? How does (either) compare with ZDP-189?

Sorry for such an open-ended question, but... ;)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

You'll have a difficult time finding anyone here that is familiar with S90V. No one except Sal and some spyderco employees will have any experience with CPMD2. Sal's about the only one that can answer this question. Joe

al888

Post by al888 »

Perhaps this Mili should be 2007 forum knife?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Perhaps this Mili should be 2007 forum knife?
There are still some extremely nice knives coming out still this year. It will certainly be a difficult choice as to which would be forum knife. I'm more worried about getting the knives I MUST have and not which knife will be the forum knife. I still need both millies, and Stretch 2 as a minimum, along with any surprises Sal hits us with, along with the first 2 installations of the mule team knives. I still need another BRG E4, plus a few BYRDs. There is always the vintage knives that creep up at gunshows too that are too good to pass up. If the millies are as good as I think they will be I'll get an extra for the future like I did with the BG42 CF millie. Stretch 2 also if I can afford it.

Basicly what I'm saying is that I'll cross the forum knife bridge when I get there. Joe

flyguy

Post by flyguy »

The Mastiff wrote:Sal's about the only one that can answer this question. Joe
You're probably right. Since Sal started this thread, it makes sense... LOL
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

[quote="flyguy"]What are the pros & cons of CPM-S90V vs CPM-D2? How does (either) compare with ZDP-189?

Sorry for such an open-ended question, but... ]

Just bumping this question. (Now that Blade is over... :cool: )