I need a multi-city knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Monocrom

Speaking as a New Yorker....

Post by Monocrom »

The knife laws here in NYC are retarded. They're selectively enforced whenever some dumb-*** kid stabs someone. At this point in time, they're being enforced. If you leave NYC off your list, your options open up quite a bit. Something like a Spyderco Delica would be a good bet.

Want to play it even safer? A Spyderco Lava or Dragonfly.

Still want to keep NYC on your list?.... I recommend a toothpick!
(No, I'm not joking. BTW, Tom19176 is very knowledgeable. Consider his words carefully before you pick out a knife).
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sleeping Robot wrote:Sadly, no. My Kopa spydie-drops better than my Native, because of the extra mass in the liners and the smoothness of the action. But it looks less threatening (http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26507). Of course, if security at a baseball game wants to seize it, I'm not going into the Stadium. :-)
Best regards,
Ron
That is true. I also can spyder-drop at least half of my Kopas. It doesn't look like a threat and I am an old (51) man. But if some boring cop decided to make a case, he (or she) will it doesn't matter what. So probably it will be safer with SAK.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bolsermanic,

As mentioned, a small light FRN handle is pretty safe legally (Dragonfly, Ladybug, Finch, Starling).

The new Micro-Dyad is very very difficult to snap open, classy, but it is expensive.

When I'm in the same "question mode", I carry a UKPK. Non locking, non snapping, one hand open, but it is 3" in blade length and at this time it has only a black G-10 handle. We plan a Foliage green handle next year.

The New Urban, which is not yet out, should fit the bill. 2.6" blade, non-locking, one hand open, a variety of handle material and color options and 4 blade shapes. It is what I will carry when travelling to other countries where laws are always a question.

sal
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Darkfin wrote:...Can one snap open a SS kiwi? ...
It's not easy but its do-able....I actually attached a little lanyard to make the "Spyderdrop" more "reliable"..... :p ....I find spyderdropping a Kiwi is Much easier than opening it conventionally (with thumb in spyderhole)..... ;)

BTW: Foliage Green UKPK! :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:
The New Urban, which is not yet out, should fit the bill. 2.6" blade, non-locking, one hand open, a variety of handle material and color options and 4 blade shapes. It is what I will carry when travelling to other countries where laws are always a question.

sal
That is very interesting. More info, please?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Well, other than a SAK, here's another knife that definitely can't be flicked open. But I have a feeling I'm not going to be too popular once I mention it....

It's small enough to clearly pass as a non-weapon, requires 2 hands to open, it locks in both the open and closed position, and to top it off; it looks like a tiny slip-joint.

Benchmade's Benchmite II.

(Almost seems as if it were tailor-made for NYC). :rolleyes:
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
araneae

Post by araneae »

Actually I can flick my benchmite open 1 handed. It takes a small amount of practice though so I would think that it would be a good sheeple friendly knife, and would be unflickable to the general population. I would go with Sal's recommendations or look at a Swiss Army. The Pride is also very hard to drop & is non-locking.

The Urban you say...Tell us more. How long before its available?
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Darkfin wrote: Or a blade with a tightenable pivot where you screw it down tight.
Hey DF, is this a real word? LOL!! :D :D