Carbon Fiber Ladybug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thinman7777

Carbon Fiber Ladybug

Post by thinman7777 »

Anyone know where I could pick one of the old carbon fiber ladybugs? What should I expect to pay?
Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

thinman7777 wrote:Anyone know where I could pick one of the old carbon fiber ladybugs? What should I expect to pay?

Hello my friend,

I was fortunate enough to receive one as gift for helping a friend. Mine is the only one I have ever seen in person. I have never seen them for sale anywhere...I'm sorry I can't point you in the right direction. :(

I will let you know if I find one anywhere. You may find one in another country.
(I'm assuming you're in the U.S.?)

Good luck!!

Tim
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
JD Spydo

Rare as an honest commissioned sales person

Post by JD Spydo »

thinman7777 wrote:Anyone know where I could pick one of the old carbon fiber ladybugs? What should I expect to pay?
Well you have a Spyder that is going to be a bit tough to find. Now I do see one on Ebay about twice a year. They always seem to fetch between $70 to $90. They truly are about the most rare of the ladybugs. I heard once that there were only 600 made. I would imagine the vast majority of them were used as Keychain Knives. So finding one in new, mint condition is going to be a bit of a tough search. But good luck finding one. JD
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

JD Spydo wrote:Well you have a Spyder that is going to be a bit tough to find. Now I do see one on Ebay about twice a year. They always seem to fetch between $70 to $90. They truly are about the most rare of the ladybugs. I heard once that there were only 600 made. I would imagine the vast majority of them were used as Keychain Knives. So finding one in new, mint condition is going to be a bit of a tough search. But good luck finding one. JD

JD, I asked Eric Glesser about this at the Oregon Knife Show...if I remember correctly he seemed to think there were no more than a sprint runs worth of them made...1200??

Anyone know?? I'd like to know more about my little "beauty", too!

Tim :D
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

What the number of produced models concerned - I noted in my records 500 pieces (IMO 1200 x are far too high).
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
thinman7777

Thanks for the info

Post by thinman7777 »

Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies. I'm new to this forum. I have a carbon fiber ladybug that I picked up a couple of years ago at a gun show. It was new in the box and was in a gun dealers "junk bin". I think I paid five bucks for it. I love it and have carried on my key ring ever since. I'm looking for an extra to "put up". I'll bet if they made another run in VG 10, S30V or ZDP189, they'd sell out in the blink of an eye. I know I'd buy a couple...maybe more.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

thinman7777 wrote:... I think I paid five bucks for it...
You ......... lucky guy! This is in no way overpriced! We don't have such gun shows in Austria :(
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto