My Testimonial...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
doubleclaw

My Testimonial...

Post by doubleclaw »

Hello, all! I lurk here infrequently, and post seldom, but I wanted to share my thoughts on my EDC, an old, beat-up looking Endura II.

I've carried this knife pretty much non-stop for about 11 years now, and it shows.

Scratches, nicks and scuffs decorate just about every bit of the stainless steel handle, and the spine of the blade has a tiny nick or two from every day bumps and scrapes. The clip screws backed out one year, and one disappeared, so I put a tiny drop of Devcon on the tips of the two remaining screws, and they haven't backed out since. Hopefully I'll never have to replace the clip!

The blade is terrifyingly sharp, to the point that no one wants to borrow it at work anymore, because they're afraid they'll lop off a finger or something. Tape, cardboard(up to 1/2" thick), zip ties, canvas, nylon and just about everything else you can imagine a person cutting have all failed to take the edge off this knife, and it continues to amaze me. One guy at work said, "That ain't a knife; that's a folding razor."

I took it to Iraq with me in 2005, and it survived everything the desert could throw at it, and came back for more. As a bonus, I wrote a letter to Spyderco while I was overseas, mentioning this knife's sterling service, and I was lucky enough to receive an OIF Native, courtesy of the great folks at our favorite knife company. I didn't have the heart to subject such a gift to the travails of my daily life in Iraq, so the Endura II soldiered on.

It sits by my bedside every night when I go to bed, and gets clipped to my pocket when I awake, without fail. My constant companion, it is the one thing I never leave the house without.

Thank you, Spyderco, for making such outstanding knives!
"Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without."
-Havamal, Verse 38
Gollum

Post by Gollum »

Great story!
Someone is just gonna ask for a picture anyway, so I'll ask. ;)
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Thanx for the great story :cool: :cool:

It seems that you found "The One"

I've got the same thing a bit with my Delica3/SE :)

Actually the knife is a bit too small for my hands, but it always finds it's way back to my pocket, to stay there for a good while ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I have had an Endura II for nine years now and it has never let me down. Shows its age, but still working.
Tank

Post by Tank »

Great story doublesaw.
Then Endura II is definatly a work horse. I found one burried in the dirt at a construction site a few years ago and resurrected it back to life and while I dont carry it much anymore I always turn to it for the truley dirty, grimy tuff jobs because I know it won't let me down.

Take care.
-John
Jeff2112

Post by Jeff2112 »

doubleclaw, thank you sir for your service! Those old Endura 1s and 2s are great old knives, I miss my E-1 but someone needed it worse. If I remember right the E-2s had either G-2 steel or 6A either of which makes a great user friendly knife as heat treated by :spyder: !
KaliGman

Endura I

Post by KaliGman »

I had an Endura I that I lost in the Southwest, near the Mexican border, during a surveillance operation. I still miss that knife. :(
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Aside from my SS Jester at the office, I've carried an Endura more than any other Spydie model. It's hard to beat as a hard use EDC.
Steve
CajunMike

Post by CajunMike »

Great story!

I and my family thank you for your service!

I have that same kind of attachment to my first SS Delica II. It is the most scratched up knife you ever laid eyes on but it will always be a beauty to me.

Cheers,
Mike
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

doubleclaw,

That's the best story (testimonial) I've read in a long time.

I still think that Spyderco needs to put a "testimonial" page up on their website for people to read. It may or may not help sales but it sure would be impressive. ;)

And yes.......I would love to see pics of this good old Endura.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
JD Spydo

A truly awesome testimony

Post by JD Spydo »

Well Doubleclaw first of all I just want to tell you that I can totally relate with your story. Now I've only carried my big C-44 Spyderco Dyad ( their double bladed knife) for a little over 2 years now but my feelings about it is similar to the way you feel about your Endura. That is a great story and a superb testimony. There is no way anyone could have made that up>> it just has too much passion forged in it.

You're the kind of guy that defines the Spyderco Forum and I consider you a great citizen here in Spyderville. Thank GOD for great Americans like yourself :cool:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

What a great story doubleclaw,

Thank you so much for you service.

I have a similar story with my old EDC, however mine didn’t make it 11years.

My knife made it about 5 years and I retired it today when I purchased A new Caly 3. My old knife (a benchmade,*i know i know I just really like the axis lock*) just finally wore out. (lost screws and such) I must say it feels strange having a different knife in my pocket now. I hope to be telling a new similar story in 11years.

Oh and I am also yet another that wants to see pictures.

Brad
Thalestin

Post by Thalestin »

great story, love hearing about old friends=)
cjgrad23

Post by cjgrad23 »

Its great to here testimonials from actual end users and not rely on the company telling me who has used their product.

I currently have two enduras: a gen 1 and a gen 3. the gen 1 was my dads turnout gear knife from about 91 till i cabbaged it in 02 (cost me a new rescue). full serrations, the only part of the kife that is recognizable anymore. dont want to even imagine the crap that knife has seen - still sharp as all get out

my gen 3 has seen everything from swamp muck to deer gut, from South Dakota fine dirt to a fall in a drainage ditch, and still comes back. my expensive brand x knife's lock failed while I was opening a box with it. such is the par for :spyder: 's
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Doubleclaw, thanks for the story. We all here are aware how great Spyderco knives are, but it's always nice to hear another testimonial :) Enjoy your fine knife and good luck.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
doubleclaw

Post by doubleclaw »

Thanks for all the kind woids, guys! I'm working on some pics of the E II, some of which will be at work, doing the jobs that only a knife can do.

I've started carrying my SPOT under my blasting suit, because the ALOX that we blast with was getting into the hinge area of my E II. Plus, reaching onto a pocket under the suit was awkward as all get out, and a neck knife is easier to reach in a hurry. I use it to cut painters' tape and masking film when we help the painters prep vehicles in the shop. It's become another EDC knife, and works great when trimming excess tape from masked areas.

Soon, I'll be carrying more knives than an Armenian bandit!
"Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without."
-Havamal, Verse 38
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Endura is my favorite, the E2 actually replaced a S30V Millie in short order quite a while back, I have moved on to the SS E4 now. (Paitently waiting for pics)......

are they up yet????????????? ;)
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
snuffaluff

Post by snuffaluff »

I know what you mean when you had to make sure the screws for the clip didn't come out... I had to do the same thing with my gen1 Endura. A lil' Loc-tite and she was good to go again.
Great story dblclaw.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

doubleclaw wrote:Thanks for all the kind woids, guys! I'm working on some pics of the E II, some of which will be at work, doing the jobs that only a knife can do.

I've started carrying my SPOT under my blasting suit, because the ALOX that we blast with was getting into the hinge area of my E II. Plus, reaching onto a pocket under the suit was awkward as all get out, and a neck knife is easier to reach in a hurry. I use it to cut painters' tape and masking film when we help the painters prep vehicles in the shop. It's become another EDC knife, and works great when trimming excess tape from masked areas.

Soon, I'll be carrying more knives than an Armenian bandit!
Is doc snubnose Armenian? :D :p

You only need to start worrying when you carry more than Doc snubnose, of course, by then you will have added thirty pounds of steel to your weight :p

It's usually a rare or special day when I step out of the house without at least 3 spydies on me (One SE, one PE, one fingernail cleaner :D )
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE