Questionable tag lines & shiny footprints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ManixFan

Re: Questionable tag lines & shiny footprints

Post by ManixFan »

The spam looks like it has an old date......so perhaps this was from around the time that vbulletin started to lose the spambot battle and Taz was able to mask it previously. When all the data got transferred the move may have also included previously masked spam. Just a guess but it sounds like a reasonable explanation.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Wrong thread, sorry.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Complete noob that just joined yesterday.
Bought my first Spidey and had a question and an issue.
I was welcomed and helped out immediately!
Question was answered quickly and issue resolved in an hour.
Extremely helpful, generous and friendly membership!!!!
This means I'm going to go broke, doesn't it???
Replacement hasn't been sent out yet and I spotted my next already!!
Ugh!
Thanks for making a true noob feel comfortable and welcome!
Joe
Donut

Post by Donut »

palonej wrote:Complete noob that just joined yesterday.
Bought my first Spidey and had a question and an issue.
I was welcomed and helped out immediately!
Question was answered quickly and issue resolved in an hour.
Extremely helpful, generous and friendly membership!!!!
This means I'm going to go broke, doesn't it???
Replacement hasn't been sent out yet and I spotted my next already!!
Ugh!
Thanks for making a true noob feel comfortable and welcome!
Joe
Welcome to the forum.

It doesn't have to mean that. Just pick a favorite and pace yourself.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
usar

Post by usar »

My take on this post is this ! If you are going to be an advocate on Spyderco Knives then you post positive comments on the forum
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Usar,

We would prefer that you do not make negative comments about others. All discussion about Spyderco is ok.

sal
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

I think that Spyderco should probably not host their own forum. When you start restricting what people can say or do, then you create a filtered environment which does not paint a picture of reality but rather some fantasy utopia.

Why would anyone want to restrict people is such a manner, especially considering that Spyderco lives and operates in one of the greatest free countries on Earth? People should be allowed to express themselves how they choose, provided they are not committing a crime (assault or slander against an individual, threats, racial insults, etc ).

I should be able to say that IMO company XXX products suck as of late and the quality is really going downhill. The thoughts are coming from me and not the owner of the website. I see nothing wrong with this and although it may not be my personal style, it should be someone's right to do so.

If this is such a problem, I would rather see everyone go chat it up on one of the general knife forum sites, instead of putting such restrictions on what members can or can't post. Spyderco owners/employees can post there all they want as well, so nothing is really lost, except for having to worry about maintaining an internet forum site such as this which as we all know is a lot of work.

Best Regards.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Salimoneus,

Appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts. I do however disagree with you. It is our intention is to keep the culture of our forum civil and more of a dialog than a name calling argument. We have found that often on forums where civility is not maintained, the members that try to maintain an informative forum will not hang around where people are acting in an argumentative manner. Then what you have left are those that would rather argue than learn or teach about Spyderco. Often, people will bring up other companies and their contributions to the industry, which is generally discussed. They are permitted to express themselves as they choose. You can say that a particular company is disappointing you because their quality is going down, in your opinion, but that XYZ company sucks is not very descriptive of your thoughts.

We do have a presence on other forums where forumites may say as they choose (Blade forums, Usual suspects forum, British Blades forum, Edge Matters forum, an Australian forum and a German forum). There we follow their rules.

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

salimoneus wrote:I think that Spyderco should probably not host their own forum. When you start restricting what people can say or do, then you create a filtered environment which does not paint a picture of reality but rather some fantasy utopia.

Why would anyone want to restrict people is such a manner, especially considering that Spyderco lives and operates in one of the greatest free countries on Earth? People should be allowed to express themselves how they choose, provided they are not committing a crime (assault or slander against an individual, threats, racial insults, etc ).

I should be able to say that IMO company XXX products suck as of late and the quality is really going downhill. The thoughts are coming from me and not the owner of the website. I see nothing wrong with this and although it may not be my personal style, it should be someone's right to do so.

If this is such a problem, I would rather see everyone go chat it up on one of the general knife forum sites, instead of putting such restrictions on what members can or can't post. Spyderco owners/employees can post there all they want as well, so nothing is really lost, except for having to worry about maintaining an internet forum site such as this which as we all know is a lot of work.

Best Regards.
It's simply call for professional courtesy. There are plenty of places to bash makers for arbitrary reasons; look at Amazon for example. There are great things that come from a "gentle" community and certainly a lack of them on the internet. Why try to make every community the same? The amount of custom makers and artists that frequently visit here speaks for it's tone.

This is a very fun place to spend time on. I've never felt censored but simply expected to act mature. Rather than suggesting the forum be closed because what it will not be why not post a bit more and see what it can uniquely offer?

PS: Most places censor racist and vulgar speech but much of it is totally legal. An unfiltered forum is a wild place and one I certainly one that would turn off many from the brand.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Blerv wrote: It's simply call for professional courtesy. There are plenty of places to bash makers for arbitrary reasons; look at Amazon for example. There are great things that come from a "gentle" community and certainly a lack of them on the internet. Why try to make every community the same? The amount of custom makers and artists that frequently visit here speaks for it's tone.

This is a very fun place to spend time on. I've never felt censored but simply expected to act mature. Rather than suggesting the forum be closed because what it will not be why not post a bit more and see what it can uniquely offer?

PS: Most places censor racist and vulgar speech but much of it is totally legal. An unfiltered forum is a wild place and one I certainly one that would turn off many from the brand.
I don't think most people enjoy an all out bash fest (well there are always a few) and that's not what I'm advocating, nor am I advocating a completely unfiltered forum, on that we certainly agree. But to put a restriction on forum members that they only make positive comments, is a restriction that seems unrealistic when people are going to compare products between competitors. Making comparisons is a natural thing to do and is a part of being a good consumer, and some criticism will naturally result from that.

Debate and criticism are actually good things to an extent, and allow everything and everyone to continuously improve and evolve. The minute you prevent someone from speaking their mind, whether you want to call it a bash or a criticism, then you start stifling free speech and controlling information.

If some members just want to sit around a campfire and celebrate each other, that's great and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I liken that more to a private or exclusive membership club where people conform to fit some mold of what the club leaders sees fit. Trying to do that in the guise of a forum that is open to the public just seems like an exercise in futility.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

salimoneus wrote:If some members just want to sit around a campfire and celebrate each other, that's great and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I liken that more to a private or exclusive membership club where people conform to fit some mold of what the club leaders sees fit. Trying to do that in the guise of a forum that is open to the public just seems like an exercise in futility.
I've ever felt this place to be an exclusive club or a chipper group of fanboys/girls. The application process is quick and extremely simple.

If Spyderco was censoring our bad feedback about their models I would see it as a shell of a forum. Just a pathetic attempt of self-promotion. On the contrary, they take feedback and criticism very seriously and urge people to give it. The management strongly believes against a "shill culture". In fact, I could do a post right now saying how I hate everything about the Delica and wish it was never made.

If I visited a manufacturer forum and trashed their competition it would seem even more a transparent attempt to gather friends and/or followers (both for the consumer and company). If someone actually wants a comparison between say a Cold Steel Voyager and a Para2 it's completely possible to provide a detailed analysis without resorting to low blows, immaturity, and blanket accusations.

This place is what people want it to be, both in what they see and how they contribute. We just have to be civil. That means keeping emotional hot-topics in check if at all possible. Religion, politics, hatred for other companies, etc. Most of that talk goes in circles anyways. Just a bunch of hurt feelings with very little facts.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Blerv wrote:If someone actually wants a comparison between say a Cold Steel Voyager and a Para2 it's completely possible to provide a detailed analysis without resorting to low blows, immaturity, and blanket accusations.
That particular example might be VERY difficult to do. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Donut wrote:
Blerv wrote:If someone actually wants a comparison between say a Cold Steel Voyager and a Para2 it's completely possible to provide a detailed analysis without resorting to low blows, immaturity, and blanket accusations.
That particular example might be VERY difficult to do. :)
Well, low blows with protective gear aren't so bad. :D
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Blerv wrote:If Spyderco was censoring our bad feedback about their models I would see it as a shell of a forum. Just a pathetic attempt of self-promotion. On the contrary, they take feedback and criticism very seriously and urge people to give it. The management strongly believes against a "shill culture". In fact, I could do a post right now saying how I hate everything about the Delica and wish it was never made.
I don't think this was ever in question, at least by myself. I commend Spyderco for listening to their customers and taking their feedback seriously. I own several Spyderco knives, and do not doubt their products or service.
Blerv wrote: If I visited a manufacturer forum and trashed their competition it would seem even more a transparent attempt to gather friends and/or followers (both for the consumer and company). If someone actually wants a comparison between say a Cold Steel Voyager and a Para2 it's completely possible to provide a detailed analysis without resorting to low blows, immaturity, and blanket accusations.
I keep seeing references to extreme adjectives like "bash" and "trashed", but in my opinion those don't really mean the same thing as constructive criticism. I can criticize someone, make my points, and still remain completely reasonable and respectful, without "bashing" or "trashing" them. There is a distinct difference between constructive criticism and excessive negativity.

But according to Sal's post:
Sal wrote: We would prefer that you do not make negative comments about others
which to me means they would prefer that people keep constructive criticism to themselves, which I disagree with. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong in that interpretation.
Blerv wrote: This place is what people want it to be, both in what they see and how they contribute. We just have to be civil. That means keeping emotional hot-topics in check if at all possible. Religion, politics, hatred for other companies, etc. Most of that talk goes in circles anyways. Just a bunch of hurt feelings with very little facts.
I think we agree here. I generally avoid online discussions about politics and religion because you aren't going to change someone's mind on such core issues in a simple back and forth discussion on an internet forum. But regardless I don't think a knife forum is the place for those particular discussions. This is also a separate issue from the main point I am making about trying to stifle someone's constructive criticism of others.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Ok, I'm not sure how much you know about the background story to Sal's 2007 post and thus this whole thread, but I believe it was in response to somewhat specific, quite heated "discussion" concerning a certain other knife company and that company's "adoption" of the round hole, which was Sal's invention and patent. (If this is wrong in any way, someone please correct me.)

I'm not sure where you got the quote from Sal that you used above, so taken out of context, I might be misinterpreting it. I believe that he probably meant "negative" as in someone saying "X brand sucks," which, IMO, is not constructive. If you take a look at the Off Topic section of this forum, there are threads with plenty of positive and critical comments about the knives produced by other brands, and Sal does not, apparently, mind.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Also, please read this selection of quotes from this thread as I believe it answers your questions:
SimpleIsGood229 wrote:
ClockWork wrote:Wait...

Are we allowed to talk about other knife brands? Are we allowed to compare and contrast Spydies vs. others?

Although I will say that Spyderco is the sweetest of knives.... I do have many other brands of blades.... What is considered "talking bad" about the other knives company's?
If I say that my Benchmade scratches very very easily... is that wrong?

-Clock

:spyder: = :)
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but my opinion is that C&C'ing Spydies to other brands is totally fine (in Off-Topic, of course). I see nothing wrong with fair evaluations. It's the unfair bashing of other brands (one particular brand comes to mind) that is frowned upon. That is my take on it, anyway.

Sal, is this an accurate reflection, on my part?
sal wrote:correct.

sal
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

GoldenSpydie wrote: I'm not sure where you got the quote from Sal that you used above, so taken out of context, I might be misinterpreting it.
The quote I posted was taken verbatim from a post only one month old, right in this very thread, about a dozen posts above this one. Just scroll your browser back half a page and you will see it plain as day. Nothing out of context, quoted exactly as was stated.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

salimoneus wrote:
GoldenSpydie wrote: I'm not sure where you got the quote from Sal that you used above, so taken out of context, I might be misinterpreting it.
The quote I posted was taken verbatim from a post only one month old, right in this very thread, about a dozen posts above this one. Just scroll your browser back half a page and you will see it plain as day. Nothing out of context, quoted exactly as was stated.

You mean this?

"Hi Usar,

We would prefer that you do not make negative comments about others. All discussion about Spyderco is ok.

sal"

I don't know how that is open to much interpretation. Not making negative comments to others (individuals or manufacturers) is pretty cut and dry. It's certainly not worth debating for pages. Just try to be civil is all. Read some of Cliff Stamps posts...he's pretty blatant with his criticism but doesn't make things personal (or at least emotional). People have responded to his posts with less than shiny footprints and he maintains his composure.

As it's been mentioned this entire thread had deep-rooted context. Maintaining the "goal" of Shiny Footprints is professional courtesy showed by forum members to Sal, someone many of us respect. It's his house so if he asks to take our shoes off we oblige even if they are clean.

Did you want to make a particular post or would like to discuss a certain topic? Maybe we can deal with specifics rather than debate a theoretical situation that may never occur. They have moderators in the event things cross the line, whatever line that may be.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Yes I think there was just a difference in how the term "negative" was interpreted in that post. Having researched the history a bit more of what spawned this thread, it makes a little more sense. Thanks for clarifying.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I love this forum. This site brings me joy everyday. I have had one of the hardest years of my young life and this forum and this company have brought a smile to my face daily. I love learning and interacting with other forum members and I love that Spyderco employees and owner are here to answer questions and inspire others to strive to be better. Thank you so much everyone for sharing, teaching, and enjoying Spyderco along side me. :spyder: :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb