Is the Paramilitary lock about as strong as the Manix?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flipe8

Is the Paramilitary lock about as strong as the Manix?

Post by flipe8 »

Hi guys.
The heading pretty much says it all. I've read that the comression lock(on the Lil Temp) was the strongest lock designed by Spyderco, so I was wondering if the Para's lock is to the same specs and would they be considered as strong or stronger than the lock on the Manix? I'm kinda looking at both the 83mm Manix or the Para for my next purchase(dedicated hard-use at work). The tip on the Para concerns me a bit, but I won't be looking for ways to take the tip off though abuse.
Thanks,
Pete
J.B

Post by J.B »

AFAIR the Paramili is not as strong as the MBC rated Lil´T. For hard use I ´d prefer the folder that suits my hand the best. Between the Manix 83 mm and the Para it would be the Paramili or the Mili. Paramili and Mili have stop pins what may give them an advantage over backlocks in some situations. All of them are strong enough for hard work though. By the way, don´t forget the D´Allara with the very strong BB lock.

Best wishes,
JB
We need locking :spyder: folders, at least a D4, with very small :spyder:holes (no one-hand function, only trademark) for legal carry in Germany!

If I could only keep one of all my knives, it probably would be a D4.

Ever tried, ever failed, no matter.
Try again, fail again, fail better.
(Samuel Beckett)
markg

Post by markg »

Between these two knives, lock strength is really not a relevant issue. Both are more than strong enough for anything you might need them for.

I vote for the Para... Still one of the best knives Spyderco makes. Plus it will be more pocket friendly.
naggalowmo

Post by naggalowmo »

Like what others have said already, both should be strong enough.
However if you are worried about tip strength i would go with the Para. The para tip seems a little more stout to me than the Mini Manix.
"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I have both and would be hard pressed to recommend one over the other, where lock strength is concerned. That said, it is hard to beat the Para-Military for pocket friendliness and weight.
Franco G

Post by Franco G »

Percival wrote:I have both and would be hard pressed to recommend one over the other, where lock strength is concerned. That said, it is hard to beat the Para-Military for pocket friendliness and weight.
Manix, Chinook and mini Manix have all the same lock. The strongest one. In fact, MiniManix has the strongest locking (#lbs inch per inch), because the blade is shorter. Sal never said how Manix compares to Lil'Temperance (both are MBC), but ParaMillie has, IIRC, a heavy duty lock.

Would be really interesting which one has a stronger lock - Lil'T or MiniManix. Sal?

Franco
Spyderco: NON MULTA SED MULTUM

My islands
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Both are EXTREMELY strong. To the point where you would almost certainly damage something else before either lock failed.

If you can live with a handed lock, and tip down carry, the Para is definitely lighter, and probably a bit thinner. The 83mm Manix offers total ambidexterity, a fractionally longer blade, and a fractionally shorter handle, in return for a couple ounces of extra weight.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
delicrazy

Post by delicrazy »

I was under the impression that the original chinook remains the strongest lock that spyderco has tested. I could be wrong though.
still trying to set my watch to metric time
druid

Post by druid »

I would go with the mini Manix, but it's really a matter of personal preference and which fits your hand better. The mini Manix also has full steel liners, where the paramilitary has inset liners this is probably where a lot of the extra weight comes from but I think it's worth it. the mini Mannix blade is also wider. I can't really justify it but I think the mini Manix is a better choice.
But to be honest I am also not a big fan of the paramilitary in general, there something about having a short blade handle ratio that just rubs me the wrong way, it is a constant reminder of the stupid knife laws.
why
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Both the Comp lock on the Para and the lockback on the Manix are extremely strong. In both cases your hand would probably fail before the lock did. In this case, it all comes down to preference. If you prefer a certain lock type, go with that one, if weight is an issue, go with your preference. Either choice is good :cool:
delicrazy wrote:I was under the impression that the original chinook remains the strongest lock that spyderco has tested. I could be wrong though.
The machine Spyderco uses to break knives actually jumped off the table trying to break the original Chinook, or so the story goes.

Wish they'd taken a video of that, because that would be entertaining to see.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
dialex

Post by dialex »

Although the Paramillie's lock is not that strong as the Manix's, I am pretty confident lock problems will be the last of your concerns, no matter which model you choose.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

I have both a Para-Millie (newer) and an 83mm Manix (older). I have carried and used both in hiking / camping / traveling chores. Both were "intentional" buys (I didn't buy one or the other because I couldn't find what I was really looking for, which I do sometimes. I think that lock failure is the least of my concerns with either knife.

I have found that the Para-Millie is replacing my 83mm mManix in carry time because it is a more comfortable carry and a more useful blade shape for me. The blade/handle ration is no concern for me. Actually, I like having a little extra handle for any type of grip that I want to use (even a hand-and-a-half), and the blade thickness gives me some confidence that it will be able to do what is asked even near the tip.

Another advantage I have found is that the compression lock is very "lefty-friendly" even though it's not truly ambidextrous. I can unlock the Para easily with either hand and the size and grippiness of the knife handle makes using the clip to help open the knife unnecessary. I like the open construction of the knife for use in a dirty environment because I think that it's easier to clean it out quickly and get back to using it, and because it seems that there is less chance of something mucking up the lock as sometimes happens with a front/back lock. And the nested liners and G-10 scales satisfy even me for a rigid handle.

I am very pleasantly surprised by my growing attraction to the Para-Millie (I still love you, too, mManix). I would have gotten one much sooner if I'd known how much I would like it.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
SpydercoKnut

Post by SpydercoKnut »

Great thread posted here and I found it most interesting; makes we desire a Paramilitary even more!

:spyder:
Lusting for a Spyderco in A2 or 154cm

:spyder: