Any news on the Ti lil Temp ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
florijn

Any news on the Ti lil Temp ?

Post by florijn »

Any of you know of the status ???
Still only an idea, Still on the drawing board, prototype, in production or .......
did I miss out on it ;) :D
My addiction
--------------------------------------------
Patience is never more important than when you are on the verge of losing it.
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Sadly, I think the project has been shelved.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Th232 wrote:Sadly, I think the project has been shelved.
Hopefully not shelved, but I know there is a lot on the Spyder plate right now, so we might not see it in a while.
JD Spydo

The Bottom line

Post by JD Spydo »

In all fairness to Spyderco it's probably a very difficult choice to make as to what models to put out in production. The bottom line is that they have to turn a profit. Some of the blades that we knife afficionados love were blades that Spyderco didn't make any money on i.e. The Ti Herbst, The Shabaria, The stainless Rescue and many others that we love as collectibles were ultimately discontinued because of low sales.

The Lil Temperance being one of the Forum favorites was probably not a big seller to the general knife buying public. So I am sure that Spyderco has to be very careful as to not put too many slow sellers in their line up. They actually accomodate us quite well as it is.

If they do bring back the Lil T I sure hope that they have the "trailing point" model available again.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

I hope. I would love a new temp that isn't so blocky. I had to sell my temp because it was like carrying a block in my pocket and the clip and size in the pocket screamed mall ninja to me when out in a public area.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I've kept harassing ;) Sal and Eric on a few occasions on the status of the Li'l Temp II and a possible Ti version. What I got was that the future Li'l Temp versions have indeed been shelved for the moment. The reason? I think it's a combination of 'a whole lot of irons in the fire' and 'it's likely to be a slow seller'.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
V-1

Post by V-1 »

That's to bad. :( I was looking forward to the next generation of my favorite Spyderco.
florijn

Post by florijn »

V-1 wrote:That's to bad. :( I was looking forward to the next generation of my favorite Spyderco.
Yep, me too.
Come on Sal, make those few Lil T fans happy ;)
I'm sure when it's out there a lot more people will be interested.
Just a bit more rounded contours and a slightly larger blade and it is better than perfect. :)
My addiction
--------------------------------------------
Patience is never more important than when you are on the verge of losing it.
pcmike

Post by pcmike »

How about a CF/ZDP Lil Temp?! Anyone jonesin' for one like I am?
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

pcmike wrote:How about a CF/ZDP Lil Temp?! Anyone jonesin' for one like I am?
The price would make me sick! I dunno about this CF/ZDP combo lately either. I want to see how the stretch 2 comes out. For me, I'd much rather have CF/BG-42.
Franco G

Post by Franco G »

Capt. Carl wrote: For me, I'd much rather have CF/BG-42.
This is my dream too.

Franco
Spyderco: NON MULTA SED MULTUM

My islands
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I love the lil temp and most if not all other knives ive held don't compare.
westfork

Post by westfork »

But please keep the handle similar to the old Lil'T - The hand filling 3-D grip is the best attribute of this knife. A less conspicuous (and easier on furniture) clip would be welcomed though.
Lloyd
V-1

Sprint run?

Post by V-1 »

I'd be more then happy with a Sprint run of the old model with S30V & a different color G-10 handle. Tan, foliage, grey, blue, orange, black G-10 even? I'd prefer to see the trailing point blade design used. :) No need to change any manufacturing methods as long as the old jigs, tooling, programs, etc are still around. I'd like to see one done as "simple" as this design allows. Two reasons; 1.) to increase the chance of actually seeing a run & 2.) price.

But that's just my take on it. :D

PS. PLEASE retain the original clip. Makes the knife a much more functional piece.
sal

Post by sal »

We have not abandoned the Lil' Temperance. The design has been refined. It's a little thinner (Sorry, Westfork). The bumps have been smoothed to permit more grip potential.

The model was disco'd for lack of a good maker. We had planned to make it in Golden, but we're pretty busy right now.

I will be speaking to a maker with the capability and capacity shortly.
While we're on the subect:

6AL4V Titanium
G-10 (color?)
Carbon Fiber
Aluminum
Stainless Steel
FRN (3D or flat)
Other

Please let me know first and second choice.

sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

First choice for handle would be some of your new Foliage green G-10, with carbon fiber (preferably peel-ply) second and FRN third (preferably 3-d).

I've never been that impressed with titanium, and I really don't like exposed locks or metal handles in general.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Bodieism

Post by Bodieism »

1st: Stainless Steel
2nd: Titanium or Aluminum
-- Bodie

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione!
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

If a Lil’ Temp sprint run were to be done BG-42 would be the steel of choice, aside from CPM M-4.

As to handle materials, if it’s possible I would like to see an SS lockside scale and G-10 on the other side. I like to have a thick lock bar (SS is preferable over Ti for durability and cost) and if you use G-10 on the other side you save on weight compared to an all SS handle. My second choice would be Aluminum with nested SS liners.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

See sal my take is that the Lil temp is that darn good and needs to be made. I would love to see the knife with the same handle, but one side Ti with a frame lock. This is an idea but I really like the compression lock. I really knife the way it is. The ergos are great and I am looking at it now and there is not much i ant to change.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

My first choice for handle would be foliage green G10, the same color as it was.
Second choice would be navy blue G10.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian