VG-10 Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
delkhouri

Post by delkhouri »

no i dont have any pics of the knife but i bought it at a spyderco dealer and it came with the box and paperwork.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

From what I've read thus far, my guess is an improper heat treat. Seems like the steel was run too hard. For VG-10 to chip on rubber, it has to have been at a high rockwell than it normally is run at. That would explain the difficulty in sharpening as well.

Though it doesn't explain the swift dulling. That would be a case of being too soft.

The heat treat is suspec, I'd say.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Tom Percy

Post by Tom Percy »

I have a Large Calypso that I had similar problems with. The first time I sharpened it (with the sharpmaker), there were several small chips along the edge which took quite some time to remove.

I also have a Delica (my last purchase) and recently, it too has been a pain to put an edge on. After getting back to the video and book, I started by dressing the back angle, and then the edge, following the instructions closely.
After several hours of work, I did manage to get the edge back. Then today, I cut a couple of plastic bags and the edge is not quite as sharp as it should be.

- 2 knives with VG10, and 2 sharpening issues.

I have had several Spydies over the years (something like 23 in my collection), and never have I had a problem like this - the rest are all hair raising sharp and are easy to maintain at this level.

If it wasn't for dealing with Canada and US customs, I would return mine. However, I will persist until I have a sustainable edge.

This will not prevent more purchases, I'll just avoid VG10 in the future.

BTW - its nice to be back.......
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

naggalowmo wrote:I don't mean to question your sharpening abilities, but maybe you arent cutting off the burr when you sharpen? That could definitely lead to the problems you are having.

I've never had any problems with my vg-10 knives and they were MUCH easier to not only sharpen but to cut the burrs from the edge then s30v. Good luck with your problem and hopefully your next experience will be better because vg-10 is truely a very good steel. Much better IMHO then s30v. :)

This has been my experience as well.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

you really think vg-10 outperforms s30v? doc? I can get my natives shaving sharp with lansky crock sticks not so w/ vg-10.. that satin finish on the s30v is sweeeeeeeet.

I'm choosing a chinook over a kris for my birthday knife mostly because I'm now solid in the cpms30v camp.

I have experienced chipping with zdp-189 and s30v but I was able to sharpen the chip out of the edge pretty easy on the native.
spyder spyder spyder spyder