Navigator Collection

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fellyjr

Navigator Collection

Post by fellyjr »

Here is my crew of Navigators so far. I know I haven't got the SS version yet, but I was wondering if the NavII was the only SS version ever made. I have never heard of any other SS one other than the II, but I would think that they did one in Gin-1 like the blue almite. Anybody know? Enjoy the pic's!

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I believe the Navigator II is the only all stainless Navigator.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

The Deacon wrote:I believe the Navigator II is the only all stainless Navigator.
Thanks Paul, that's kinda what I gathered. :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Thank you for sharing Felly. Great pictures. I love the one with reflection.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Puyallupknifegu

Whoohoo!!

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

Excellent touch w/the Navigation system there, Felly!! It's good to see that our little friend is so photogenic!!! LOL!!! :D :p

Tim
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

Were the older spyderco G-10's more benchmade feeling as far as the material goes, because that is exactly what BM's G-10 looks like.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Capt. Carl wrote:Were the older spyderco G-10's more benchmade feeling as far as the material goes, because that is exactly what BM's G-10 looks like.
IMO it actually feels more like FRN than G-10. I haven't handled too many BM's to know the similarities but the older G-10 feels more like plastic and the pattern is a lot wider and open than the new stuff. I can tell you the feel is worlds different than the new G-10. ;)
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

[quote="fellyjr"]IMO it actually feels more like FRN than G-10. I haven't handled too many BM's to know the similarities but the older G-10 feels more like plastic and the pattern is a lot wider and open than the new stuff. I can tell you the feel is worlds different than the new G-10. ]
Yep, just like BM's G-10.

Thanks!
swede

Post by swede »

Actually there were 2 different G10 handle materials used in the Nav. I'll try to get a pic up soon.
(Great pics of one of my favorite models, Felly)
Dave
griff76

Post by griff76 »

Nice little group and great pics as always. Thanks for sharing!
"There was never a good knife made out of bad steel"
-Benjamin Franklin
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

I like the idea playing with 'Navigators' in your pictures! :) Ergonomic of the handle it one of the best for smaller knifes IMO.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Peter1960 wrote:I like the idea playing with 'Navigators' in your pictures! :) Ergonomic of the handle it one of the best for smaller knifes IMO.
Thanks Peter. :)
I'm trying to be a little more clever with my photo's like you and Brian, as well as a few other guy's on the forum. ;)
Another one I like for the little guy's is the Pegasus, but you usually don't see very many of them at all. I have a PE SS Pegasus, and AFAIK, SS was the only way they came.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The thought just crossed my mind that, when folks speak of an early all-stainless Navigator, they are getting a couple very similar models confused. I'd bet they are referring to the CX01 Experimental which became the C61 Pegasus. As you can see in this photo, the Pegasus and Navigator look fairly similar in both size and shape. There are other, subtle differences, but the most obivious difference is the curve of the rearmost portion of the handle. On the Pegasus, this curve is convex, while on the Navigator it is concave. That makes the Navigator a somewhat more ergonomic knife, as it offers better purchase for a finger.

And yes, you are correct, the Pegasus only ever came in all stainless.

Paul
Hillbillenigma

Post by Hillbillenigma »

I love the size and use factor of the Navigators. I think it is almost perfect size for EDC.

GREAT PICS Felly.

I only have one SE left (slotted handle) as I gave a Plain Edge away to a Buddy that I shared some Desert time with while I was in the Marine Corps. I know he enjoys it.

Thanks for sharing.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

The Deacon wrote: Image
I thought I had all the handle materials until I saw this photo. :(
Paul, what can you tell me about this CF version? Was it a production piece, and if so, how many did they make? Also, what is your Pay Pal address so I can send you the appropriate amount for it? :D :D
*Just kidding around about that last part!!* ;) :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely not a production piece, probably one of a kind. Does have an SE sibling that's on the inside cover of The Spyderco Story along with a bunch of other "one off" SE CF Spydies. It, the Pegasus, and the Co-Pilot, never made it to production. The others - a Ladybug, Dragonfly, Cricket, and Civilian all eventually did, but not in the same steel the "cover girls" are sporting.
Paul
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

The Deacon wrote:Definitely not a production piece, probably one of a kind. Does have an SE sibling that's on the inside cover of The Spyderco Story along with a bunch of other "one off" SE CF Spydies. It, the Pegasus, and the Co-Pilot, never made it to production. The others - a Ladybug, Dragonfly, Cricket, and Civilian all eventually did, but not in the same steel the "cover girls" are sporting.
OK, so maybe I wasn't REALLY kidding about that last part! :eek:
No, I'm just kidding.........For real.........or not! :p :D

One thing I did forget to do is give props to PKG for finding the slotted Gin-1 Nav for me. Thanks Puyallupknifebrodude!! :D
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

swede wrote:Actually there were 2 different G10 handle materials used in the Nav. I'll try to get a pic up soon.
(Great pics of one of my favorite models, Felly)
Dave
It's kind of hard to tell here but weave of the G10 is more coarse or open on earlier versions. This is similar to the G10 variations on the Rookie.

:D
j
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder:
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

java wrote:It's kind of hard to tell here but weave of the G10 is more coarse or open on earlier versions. This is similar to the G10 variations on the Rookie.

:D
j
Thanks for posting the photo java. :cool:
The difference is slight but definitely noticeable. I'll have to keep an eye out for the other G10 handle variation.
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

The fileworked blade and lockbar is hard to find as well. :D

j
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder: