Spydercard, Swick...thoughts?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Agent Starling

Spydercard, Swick...thoughts?

Post by Agent Starling »

I've had a curiosity about what I think of as "oddball" spyders, like the Spydercard, Swick, maybe there are more...and I'm thinking to get one of these at some point. Any thoughts, comments, whatever u want to say, about any of these? Like them :) , don't like them :eek: ...

Ex Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Only one I can comment about is the Spydercard.
Carry it for some time in your wallet and you forget it is there.
Still it it is a lot of knife, much more then you would expect from a card sized one.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Swick is an excellent neck knife. I like it much better than the SPOT. The grip is more versatile then you'd think, you don't have to use the finger hole for a good grip. The Stonewash finish is not very pleasing to the eye, to me at least, but it hides scratches well. ;) It's a great EDC knife.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

starling, i know you like your yojimbo, and are interested in SD... maybe you'd enjoy the karambit or the scorpius. the scorpius is certainly an interesting, "odd" little SD knife with a WICKED blade, and can still be had for a reasonable price... and if you don't already own a dodo, well... time is running out to find one at close-out prices!

other than that, think a lot of the current spydies might be considered "oddballs." the captain, the lava, polliwog, maybe even the adventura... :D sal and crew are certainly fond of creating "odd" designs, aren't they? :)
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I have a Swick in my pocket right now! There are a few Swick-o-fans amongst us. The Swick isn't just a neck knife, it works great in a pocket of on a belt (you have to supply your own belt attachment, Mike Sastre sells some good attacher hooks).

The Spyder card has cool engineering, but I wouldn't want to carry one around much due to size, weight, and comfort using on any long term cutting.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

clovisc wrote:maybe you'd enjoy the karambit or the scorpius. the scorpius is certainly an interesting, "odd" little SD knife with a WICKED blade, and can still be had for a reasonable price...
clovisc, i'm glad you pointed this one out, it is a very cool looking knife, and all steel to boot! :D
clovisc wrote:other than that, think a lot of the current spydies might be considered "oddballs." the captain, the lava, polliwog, maybe even the adventura... :D sal and crew are certainly fond of creating "odd" designs, aren't they? :)
yes, indeed, very innovative designs, those...!!

Starling :D
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Piet.S wrote:Only one I can comment about is the Spydercard.
Carry it for some time in your wallet and you forget it is there.
Still it it is a lot of knife, much more then you would expect from a card sized one.
must try it sometime, piet! :)
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

zenheretic wrote:I have a Swick in my pocket right now! There are a few Swick-o-fans amongst us. The Swick isn't just a neck knife, it works great in a pocket of on a belt (you have to supply your own belt attachment, Mike Sastre sells some good attacher hooks).
zen, i used to think a neck knife would be cool, but i think i'd be a little less leery with pocket carry, good to know there's a way to do that! :D

Starling
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

AND the price on the scorpius is right... :D

i still don't understand why this knife never got "popular." people complain the SS is too slick for SD, but the ergos more than make up for that, if you ask me... and it's pretty easy to epoxy something-or-other on the handle to make it more grippy...
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

zenheretic wrote:There are a few Swick-o-fans amongst us.
Reporting for duty sir :cool:

The Swick is hands down, my favorite knife. It covers all the bases. It can be worn as a neck knife(though sheath retention should be checked prior to doing this), dropped in a pocket(my personal favorite), clipped to a belt, tucked in the waist band, pretty much wherever. Not many knives can be that versatile.

Continuing with my neverending praise of the Swick... ;)

The blade shape is well suited to utility(my primary useage) and I'm willing to bet would make an excellent "oh crap" weapon in a pinch. I wouldn't carry it as the sole tool for defense, but it has the potential to save your ***.

It's extremely secure in hand, Fred Perrin is a genius for coming up with the finger hole. Once you've got a grip on it, it doesn't slip. Period.

It's stupidly easy to sharpen. Even I can get an atom splitting edge with the Swick.

Oh yeah, and most important of all, the Swick is an example of how S30V is SUPPOSED to perform. It doesn't chip, it doesn't roll, and it doesn't break, no matter how many times I drop it tip down on ceramic tile... :o

Only downside is the stonewash finish. I love it because it hides scratches really well, but others have likened it to the finish on a garbage can lid, and I have to grudgingly admit, yeah it does look like that.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Funny... two things I like about the swick is the stonewash finish, and I think it is a cool design...for me it's a little too small in a big way if you catch my drift....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Funny... two things I like about the swick is the stonewash finish, and I think it is a cool design...for me it's a little too small in a big way if you catch my drift....Doc :D
Once I held one, I liked the finish too...buttery smooth, not rough like the galvanized steel that it looks like.

The last time someone said a certain knife was too small for SD work (knowing you, that is what you are saying) we had people tearing off their shirts to show their big muscles and other pics such as half naked women, aardvarks, Tang, all sorts of madness. :eek: :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

zenheretic wrote:Once I held one, I liked the finish too...buttery smooth, not rough like the galvanized steel that it looks like.

The last time someone said a certain knife was too small for SD work (knowing you, that is what you are saying) we had people tearing off their shirts to show their big muscles and other pics such as half naked women, aardvarks, Tang, all sorts of madness. :eek: :D
I'm not saying the swick couldn't be used for self-defense and I think a lot of small knives do make good SD options...it's this things I have about fixed blades....I just like em big....no reason to send the Tang Police out just yet ;) Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

zenheretic wrote:The last time someone said a certain knife was too small for SD work (knowing you, that is what you are saying) we had people tearing off their shirts to show their big muscles and other pics such as half naked women, aardvarks, Tang, all sorts of madness. :eek: :D
Hmm...lets see what's in my photobucket account :p

This will cover the big muscles...sort of... ]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/s ... 0_0305.jpg[/IMG]

Norman's little brother...

Thirsty?

And I'm ashamed to say I do not have any pictures of half naked women in my photobucket account. But the last time we talked about pizza, the conversation shifted to half naked women. So this will have to suffice.

Ask and you shall receive ;)

-Sir Winston Churchill-
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

I really hate to pull the thread back on topic but...

Have you considered the new FlatByrd?
http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... ?s=SPBY16P

I haven't held one yet but it looks cool.
>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Flatbyrd is definitely more ergonomic than the spydercard. All those drilled holes give a bit more purchase and the rounded corners on the handle don't hurt either.
Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
theocguy85

Post by theocguy85 »

I use and enjoy my SWICK regularly. Great little knife.
FIGHT ON!
Agent Starling

hole-y flatbyrd batbrain!

Post by Agent Starling »

SeanH wrote:I really hate to pull the thread back on topic but...

Have you considered the new FlatByrd?
http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... ?s=SPBY16P

I haven't held one yet but it looks cool.
that's one i didn't know about, glad you brought it up, it looks cool :) ...i suppose the swiss cheese look is to make it lighter to carry in yer wallet...??? :p

...ok now somebody please derail this thread again cuz tangents are fun!!! :p :D

Starling
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

ExSpAgtStarling wrote:...ok now somebody please derail this thread again cuz tangents are fun!!! :p :D
Already did, I have to let someone else have a turn :p

-Sir Winston Churchill-
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

ExSpAgtStarling wrote:that's one i didn't know about, glad you brought it up :) ...i suppose the swiss cheese look is to make it lighter to carry in yer wallet...??? :p

...ok now somebody please derail this thread again cuz tangents are fun!!! :p :D

Starling
Did someone mention TANGents?