What is the "HOLY GRAIL" of Spyderco knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Archimedes

Re: What is the "HOLY GRAIL" of Spyderco knives?

Post by Archimedes »

Someones got to bring them back from the dead.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

It lives!

(I have my grail, the original micarta handled C44 Big Dyad.)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It's interesting going back and reading this. It brought back memories and is strange to remember my life and situation back then.

We have had some great knives in amazing steels made for us since then. It really illustrates in my mind just how fortunate we have been being able to fine tune our hobbies to such a degree. Even for a first world society we have been blessed.

To catch up here I :

1) passed on the blue Lum to a worthy forumite who gave it a better home. Part of a trade IIRC.
2) Same with the Aus 10 stainless PE Native. Went to one of the best people I've ever met.
3) Sold the Ti ATR. I liked the idea of it better than the knife itself so I sold it when I was broke to someone who would use it.
4) The Aus 8(W) knife I finally found and bought and resides still with me. Takes very sharp edges easily for a stainless steel. Not as corrosion resistant as the regular Aus 8 I'm used to IMO though that is likely heat treat more than the composition of that steel. I don't think the Tungsten added was that much from what I remember reading.
5) Cruwear. I just want to say it. The Cruwear Millie is the knife I always wanted even before it existed. My "Holy Grail" knife that will stay with me as long as I have my wits about me. Thanks Sal, Eric and Spyderco!

Joe
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Mastiff wrote:It's interesting going back and reading this. It brought back memories.
+1
Currently I do not have any "Holy Grails", which I am hunting for. There are couple knives, which I would like to have. But if I will not, this will be OK too. I am quite happy with what I have. 2013 Forum Native is an icing on my cake. Super ergos, super steel, super scales. I even bought one more spare on secondary market. I think that it will be very difficult to make a better knife for me. May be Shaman. I am not sure about compression lock. Only time will tell. I still love my Persian very much and I didn't see anything, which can replace it, so no retirement for old buddy, which is in my pocket since August 2006. Still enjoying slicing with Caly3.5. Love Memory.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

The Deacon wrote:If there could be such a thing as "the" Holy Grail of Spyderco knives, it would have to be Sal's original hole opener "concept model" that Eric shows us at 3:18 in the first Shop Tour video.

https://youtu.be/JlsoX_Hkd1c
I agree. That knife is truly the Holy Grail. The only one worth getting your head chewed off by a bunny. :D
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

+1 on that one deacon and archimedes.
Since there is only 1 knife it is worth a zillion dollars :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

That isn't what I would call a grail. That is a family heirloom. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
recoil

Post by recoil »

This thread really takes me back!
I'm retired from the PD now but still have the P.I.G. Police model.

dave
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Speaking of necro threads, what's the deal with the other getting shut down? It was fun.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

For me, it's the Kris. No other knife has eluded me so. Somehow even after buying and paying for a new one, it has still never materialized in my awaiting hands. :(
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Mine as well. I also have one.

yowzer wrote:It lives!

(I have my grail, the original micarta handled C44 Big Dyad.)
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:For me, it's the Kris. No other knife has eluded me so. Somehow even after buying and paying for a new one, it has still never materialized in my awaiting hands. :(
I am so glad you brought up the Kris. I have been looking for this one as well. Now i am going to head over to the sprint thread and bring this guy up over there :D

JD
BOHAWG

Post by BOHAWG »

1. CX06 Experimental
2. C60 Massad Ayoob Serrated Almite coated handles
3. C104 Kris
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

For me personally it's a Superblue Caly 3.5. There were plenty floating around by the time I got into Spydercos but I just didn't care for the design. Now that I've acquired a VG10 3.5 and used it though, I get what the fuss is all about. My Superblue Stretch is an utter joy to sharpen and use and I'm just kicking myself for not grabbing a 3.5 with that steel when I had a chance. I have a feeling it's going to go down as one of the greatest Spydercos ever and desireability will continue to sore.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Well.. Don't know about a "GRAIL".. But I would like to score a G-10 Delica reasonably priced!! I know the Worker is out there.. Barongs are KOOL too!! :cool: John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
MCM

Post by MCM »

My Favorite is the M4 Millie. :o
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......