Spyderco Mule Team Details

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
ChapmanPreferred

This mule team concept is fantastic

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I am very interested, and wishing I still lived in CO.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

dczippo wrote:I am very interested, and wishing I still lived in CO.
;) We're wishing that too! We miss you!! :D
There is nothing more important than this one day.
eL_PeLaDiLLo

Count me in!

Post by eL_PeLaDiLLo »

E-mail sent. Thanks!
"Live Life, Be Happy, No Worries..."
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Give me a price range and I'll go for it. ****, I'll even use it as my kitchen knife, since

1. I don't have one
2. I'm never gonna use my fixed blades enough

And for those who don't like the shape..well regrind time =D
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

GarageBoy wrote:Give me a price range and I'll go for it. ****, I'll even use it as my kitchen knife, since

1. I don't have one
2. I'm never gonna use my fixed blades enough

And for those who don't like the shape..well regrind time =D
Easy there... remember that each one is gonna be a different steel and thus is gonna need a different care and feeding while regrinding.

That gives me an idea: Could each one of these mules come with a spec sheet for the steel? Er, basically something that includes...
-Rockwell hardness (brand new, that is)
-abrasion resistance
-composition
-heat treating data
-toughness
-Applications other than blade steel
-etc.

Along with getting new and exotic steels into the hands of more users, this could be an educational tool as well. The more people learn and know about steel, the more likely they are to understand and appreciate the little details that are put into every design. For example: Why choose Steel A instead of Steel B for this particular blade? or... Why is this particular design hollow ground in this steel, but flat-ground in another steel?

I've previously echoed whoever it was that said "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot." I believe that the contrapositive is true as well; that being that if the ELU is more educated, you will be able to create more complex designs that will be much better received and appreciated.

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

uhiforgot wrote: That gives me an idea: Could each one of these mules come with a spec sheet for the steel? Er, basically something that includes...
-abrasion resistance
-composition
-heat treating data
-toughness
-Applications other than blade steel
-etc.
That's a pretty good idea. Don't know if Spyderco could give us all of that information(I have to assume at least some of it, like heat treating, would be somewhat proprietary), but as much of it as possible would be great.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

I would be intrested! dczippo you are very missed.
:spyder: The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.
-William Shakespeare :spyder:
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

great point, uhiforgot. i second (ok, third, behind scott) the idea for as much information about the steels as possible to serve as further education about the fascination world of high-end steels.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

A "build" sheet would be cool
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

Spec sheet! Good idea.

I'll fifth that. I'm sure I have a fifth of something around here somewhere... :p
>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser
sal

Post by sal »

Taz sid she'd make up a spec sheet. Whatchawantonit?

Steel came in. 52100. We'll run a few pieces to check processes. Then we'll do a run.

sal
Sleeping Robot

Post by Sleeping Robot »

sal wrote:Taz sid she'd make up a spec sheet. Whatchawantonit?

Steel came in. 52100. We'll run a few pieces to check processes. Then we'll do a run.

sal
Great to hear the steel is in. Things are getting closer!

Re. the spec sheet, uhiforgot's list looks like a good starting point. (I've rearranged the order a bit and expanded some of the descriptions).

-Origin of the steel, initial intended application, current applications other than blade steel.
-Alloy composition
-Heat treating data
-Test Results:
-abrasion resistance
-toughness
-etc.

It would be nice to have the alloy, heat treat, and test results compared to a baseline steel, such as 440C, so we can see how much more or less carbon, chromium, vanadium, ... it has and what the results are in terms of the tested properties.

Just the thoughts of a knife newby...
Ron
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ron,

test results?

What tests are you thinking of?

Don't know if I will provide too much heat treat data. I can tell you how hard it measured.

By abrasion resistance, I am assuming you mean CATRA test?

Our Charpy test is not set up in the new location yet. We can probably chase down the accepted Charpy for 52100?

sal
Sleeping Robot

Post by Sleeping Robot »

sal wrote:Hi Ron,

test results?

What tests are you thinking of?
Hi Sal,

Sorry, the indention didn't come out in my message.
I was thinking of the things mentioned after that line - the hardness, abrasion resistance, and toughness.
sal wrote:Don't know if I will provide too much heat treat data.
We will take what we can get. ]I can tell you how hard it measured.

By abrasion resistance, I am assuming you mean CATRA test?

Our Charpy test is not set up in the new location yet. We can probably chase down the accepted Charpy for 52100?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I was thinking about the CATRA test, so we could compare it to the results we have seen posted for other steels.

While it would be most meaningful to have the data after the heat treatment and grind, that would mean the spec sheet couldn't be done until at least the first prototypes were made. Plus, it adds a few steps to what is supposed to be a minimal process.

I don't think any of us want to add an unreasonable load to your process, particularly on this first mule. So if the spec sheet can contain those results, great. Otherwise, some generally-accepted information on the composition and properties will do for me, and I'll wait to see what people post once they have the things in-hand.

Thanks,
Ron
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

sal wrote:...

sal
Oh, cool. :)
EarthDog
whitefeather

Post by whitefeather »

Ball Bearings anyone?
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Awesome. :cool:

-Sir Winston Churchill-
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

A spec sheet would be cool, but it doesn't really matter that much to me. I don't care what the specs say, I want these blades to form my own opinions on the steels. I'll leave the why of it to the guys like Sal ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
ducktaper

Post by ducktaper »

[quote="yablanowitz"]A spec sheet would be cool, but it doesn't really matter that much to me. I don't care what the specs say, I want these blades to form my own opinions on the steels. I'll leave the why of it to the guys like Sal ]

That's how I feel, too.
But I had a crazy notion, one I mentioned elsewhere: it would be very interesting to acquire mule issues without knowing AT THAT TIME what steel composition it is; just a stamped code ID for later reference. This would allow the user to use the tool and make an assessment without any preconceived ideas (or expectations)-and provide much fodder here by users as to its' various qualities and comparo's to other mules. Then, after some time, a spec sheet could come out ID'ing alloy & such, and provide unbiased feed-back to Golden.
At any rate, I'm just excited about release 1.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

[quote="ducktaper"]That's how I feel, too.
But I had a crazy notion, one I mentioned elsewhere: it would be very interesting to acquire mule issues without knowing AT THAT TIME what steel composition it is]

I like this idea too. I'm kinda torn now, can't decide which one I like better. :confused:

-Sir Winston Churchill-