Just got Caly3 and WOW!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flipe8

Just got Caly3 and WOW!

Post by flipe8 »

Hi guys. Like the title says I just got a Caly3 through a trade and I'm extremely impressed with the knife. It's smaller than the dimensions would suggest, IMO. To me, this is a good thing. It fits my medium-size hands very well and I really like the deep riding clip. Very sharp as expected and light weight, but solid feeling. I've been EDCing a Small Sebbie for the past year and I think this knife could give it a run for that spot. I'm already thinking about the ZDP version! This knife is very close to the perfect EDC from my initial impressions. Great knife Sal and Co.!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

I've the same feelings for the Caly 3 as EDC - close up to very close to be my perfect EDC. Any words from Spyderco if the Caly 3 is a good/best seller? I fear we as spydernuts have once again a different taste than the market.

Nice to hear that you enjoy yours a lot, flipe8!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
LJK

Post by LJK »

I thought I read in one of Sal's posts that the Caly 3 was selling well. I should be getting mine today along with a Nav 2. :)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Mark me down as a huge fan of the Caly 3 as well. It's my runaway top choice for an EDC knife. I like it so much I've started buying duplicates of it, rather than branching out to other knives. I know diversity is a good thing when it comes to Spydercos, but...I feel better having several Caly 3s! The Caly Jr is very nice too, and is my choice for days when lots of manual labor is on the to-do list. I'm less concerned about those FRN scales on the Jr. Of course, like all the other Caly nuts, I'm looking forward to variations. Thanks Sal for the CF model, love it!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ront

Post by ront »

Since receiving my Caly 3 several months ago, it has been in my pocket everyday since. I love the knife. It is pretty close to the perfect knife for me :) .

Ron
JohnyKwst

Post by JohnyKwst »

I agree with everything that has been said. Its an amazing little knife!
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

Bolstermanic wrote:Of course, like all the other Caly nuts, I'm looking forward to variations.
Me too. I've think I've decided to hold off on the C/F ZDP-189 model for now, since I already have a couple of the laminated ZDP-189 blades (one being the Caly Jr.) and one solid ZDP-189 one.

Hopefully, there is a Sprint or two in the works. Hitachi blue steel with dark red or beige Micarta.... Sign me up, please. :)
Thalestin

Post by Thalestin »

CALY 3 is a great knife. I dont edc mine to much thought since it has a little vertical blade play=(. Drives me nuts so i go to my other knives most of the time sadly.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I think the Caly 3 is another one of the best balanced designs produced by any company at any price range. I feel this way about the larger BG 42 Millie also. The CF/ZDP Caly 3 is even more of an afi knife with that scalpel sharp ZDP blade than an every day blue collar EDC knife. Not for everybody perhaps, but just right for me. The VG10 version is no sloch when it comes to slicing though. I have both and intend on keeping them both.

On some models everything just seems to come together just right and the final product exceeds the sum of it's parts. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
LJK

Post by LJK »

Wow is right! I received my Caly 3 today, it is absolutly a beautiful knife, and at last deep pocket carry... yes... :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am with you guys on this. I love this knife; it is a beauty queen and an excellent cutter. I carry it every day since I got it and I cut whatever I need. Caly3 is one of my best EDCs.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i am eagerly anticipating the arrival of my first caly 3... SE... which i managed to win NIB on ebay for a little over $50!!!!

your posts are getting me psyched! i've heard nothing but the best comment about this knife...
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

OK, this love-fest is getting a little saccherine, even for me, the Caly worshipper. There must be SOMEthing that could be improved on a Caly3, right? How about a wire clip that doesn't skootch around as much? Or a Caly3 that is assembled with screws instead of rivets? Or--my dream--a Caly with a curvey Schempp-style bolster? Oh yeah! A man can dream.

Holy Moly Clovisc--$50?!? Wow! Good score! I was feeling good abt $70!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Dream Caly

Post by Bolster »

Contemplate this, for example.
Attachments
CalyIII-best.jpg
CalyIII-best.jpg (43.15 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
Slatts

Post by Slatts »

The Caly 3 is still my most carried knives since I received my PE and SE when they were first introduced. I just started carrying the SE version in the last coupla weeks and DANG! I think I'm a SE man now. It does everything the PE does and more. I use to have about 10 knives in rotation and I guess I still do, but I think I cary the Caly 3 about 80% of the time.
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

Yeah... I really like mine, too. I carry my ZDP D4 in the warehouse because I do drop my work knives or they slide off onto the concrete floor more than occasionally, but the Caly 3 goes just about everywhere else.

I'm also thinking about a B/U "just in case...".
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
LJK

Post by LJK »

I don't know about improving this knife. The more I look at it the more I'm thinking the shape, proportions, and lines are close to perfect. I guess screws and tip down would be nice.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

well, my caly 3 arrived today, and i just can't stop staring at it, fondling it, playing with it... best $55 i ever spent on ebay, to be sure.

originally, when sal was discussing the caly 3 concept on here, back before production, i was quite excited. but for some reason, when i got back from africa and saw the newly-released caly 3 (in pictures only), i just couldn't get myself excited enough about the knife to rush out and buy it. my aversion was purely superficial -- i guess i expected something that looked a little more like the first two calys... the third knife looked rather awkward somehow... i should have known better... :rolleyes:

to actually carry, hold, use this knife is a pleasure that compares to the pleasure of when i got my first spydie... i'm still excited, astounded, surprised...

i'd say the caly 3 is right up there with the R2 as "perfect EDC" knife.