Captian blade play.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gamewraith

Captian blade play.

Post by gamewraith »

I got a Captian for my son, and when it arrived it was rock solid. A week or so later ( without any real cutting, or any excessive flicking) it has developed play. When pressure is put against the spine of the blade as if to close it there is now vertical play and you can see the liner lock move left as if it was being moved to an unlocking position. Has anyone else had this issue, or know a way to remedy this issue? As an added note, this is a beautiful knife which feels fantastic in the hand. My son and I are Spyderco enthusiasts, and currently have 30+ Spyderco's between us.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

have you attempted to tighten the knife up with a torx wrench?
gamewraith

Post by gamewraith »

Yes we have played with different tightenings to try to achieve the desired results, but as of now no luck.
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

there is a slight amount of "give" if i apply pressure to the spine of my Captain, and putting direct pressure on the spine will force the liner lock to move slightly up the angled ramp on the tang, but i don't consider this blade play. if i hold the knife from the butt of the handle and shake it hard up and down, there is no blade movement around the pivot (unlike my Paramilitary :mad :) .

i think this slight amount of "give" is normal. anyone else? :confused:
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
Fish

Post by Fish »

My Captain does the exact same thing, but I don't see it as a problem. A dealer showed me his personal Captain and his did the same thing. He said he had tried with all his might to get the blade to unlock with pressure on the spine and couldn't get it to go. I kind of expected it with mine, and sure enough, it moves a little with pressure on the spine. I don't really consider it "blade play". Hope it is not too problematic for you as I have really grown to like this knife. It does a lot of things well and a few things not so well without a point, but I don't consider it a gimmick grind as some others do. Good luck.
“If any man says he hates war more than I do, he better have a knife, that's all I have to say”
-Jack Handy
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I was able to do that with the one I used to have as well. Couldn't get it to fail though. Just a quirk of that particular model.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
JD Spydo

Captain: Doing well here

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I've had both of my Captain models since around November. I have not had any bad experiences with either one of them. However I must admit that I've only used one of them extensively. Plus I have done a lot of sharpening work on the one I use and it has done me well.

If your problem persists then I would certainly contact Spyderco Repair ASAP. They will make it right.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!