Multi-tool Recommendation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CQC

Multi-tool Recommendation

Post by CQC »

any recommendations on a multi-tool
money cant buy knifes
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

i have a leatherman squirt s4 -- the "s" stands for scissors, but they also have a "p" model with pliers instead.

the squirt is a very small multi-tool, and if you need a more serious tool, you may want to look at some of the bigger models. but i'm happy with my squirt -- it suits my needs, and is small enough to carry on a keychain (along with my byrd finch and photon freedom light, as shown below).

Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

The byrd wrench is a good choice or a leatherman charge. I haven't handled the Byrdwrench but I love the Charge.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

See, now THIS HERE is what ya need....

There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

I've not used my Byrdwrench much since I got it....but the build quality is good....the Byrd Harp Tool which I scored from :spyder: in a recent contest works well....I've only used the phillips screwdriver on the harp tool.....the added length of the screwdriver shaft on the harp tool is a definite advantage over the ones on most multitools for "hard to reach places" like tightening doorknob screws....
I used to own a Leatherman Wave multitool that I gifted since....
the Wave actually impressed me ....and I've also owned a Micra in the past....
Both these Leatherman's I recommend.....though I also like Victorinox SAK's too....esp the quality of the scissors on the Classic/Climber and also the "needlenose" pliers on my Mechanic....i've found to be of great quality for the $
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Gollum

Post by Gollum »

rcbalt2 wrote:The byrd wrench is a good choice or a leatherman charge. I haven't handled the Byrdwrench but I love the Charge.
Another vote for the LM Charge!
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I've got a Wave and use it all the time. Got the pockey clip for it and keep it clipped inside my messanger bag.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I've got the LM Core, LM Charge, LM Squirt E4 (wire strippers :D ), LM Juice S2... see a theme there? Also use my vnox cybertool 29 a lot.

Core is on my belt, Charge is in my vest... the core probably gets used 4-5 times a day. All depends on what you want for tools and size. I've got big hands, sometimes I think I could probably break the juice with a good grip.

I've given away a couple gerber recoils, tried out the sog toys, used to have LM PST's and a crunch. Still waiting now for my local to get in the byrdwrench to look at, has to be better for price than the spyderench was (170cad at my local when they had it).
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
CQC

Post by CQC »

ever tried the sog EOD PowerLock 2.0 s69 or any thing from sog
money cant buy knifes
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Depends on what you want it to do.
I have a Leatherman Super tool,the first one with out the locking thing on the handles.They seemed to get in the way.It has everything I could want.I am wanting to try a XTi.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
silverback

Post by silverback »

Victorinox here, quality is great and a good price. It was afaik the first multitool with locking tools and rounded corners.

Also, I had the chance to handle the Spyderench and the Byrdwrench at the German Mini Show and was instantly in love. Maybe they're a bit of a novelty, but they seemed quite sturdy and high quality.
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
JD Spydo

Best of 2 different worlds

Post by JD Spydo »

I have 2 Multitools I use quite a bit in my work as well as carry in my truck. First and foremost I love the original, American made Spyderench I've had for quite a while now. Also I had many needs for a conventional multitool so I also have a Victorinox SWISS TOOL.

The 2 of them together are truly a dynamic duo. I just moved this last weekend and I used both tools to disassemble items and to remove other items and between the 2 of them they were all the tools I needed.

The Spyderench is truly a well engineered tool. The Victorinox multitools are also known to be the standard of the industry. If they make a better multitool than either one of them I would sure like to know about it.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i've managed to break about 4 different leatherman tools in the last year or so... people just kept giving them to me, so i kept trying to EDC them... :rolleyes: have a broken squirt S4 on my keychain, and i sometimes use the tiny screwdriver, although not too often...

maybe i'm just a little rough on multitools, or expect too much of them... i'd rather just keep a set of real tools handy at home and/or in my vehicle...
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I've had three Leathermans and the Victorinox Swisstool RS. The Vnox rocks big time. The Leathermans never did it for me, the ideas are great, but I find the execution and engineering somewhat wanting. I'm looking forward to trying a Byrdwrench.

Gordon
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

I saw your other post, asking about the SOG EOD Powerlock steel, GET IT YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED. I have broke the Leatherman and returned it within the first three hours, I have been beating on the SOG for better part of 1 1/2 years now and it is still in good shape. I also handled the V-nox and others, I like the SOG best.

PM sent
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
Effigy

Post by Effigy »

Spyderench. Everytime :cool:

:D
:spyder:#86
cosine

Post by cosine »

I actually like one of the smaller full size multitools for carrying everyday. In this case, it's my LM Fuse. I do have some of the larger ones, such as the Core and Supertool 200, but they get big and heavy after a while trying to carry them around.

The LM Fuse has a full size set of pliers, and does a great job. It has everything I need.
^ Andy
CQC

Post by CQC »

the thing I like about the sog is the one handed opening just like my spydie and like clovisc and Simple Man said the leathermans break under to much force.I was going to get the LM surge but you all changed my mind.
money cant buy knifes
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

I had a leatherman wave and i did like it until i left it on the bumper of my truck after changing my license plates. Then I got a SOG powerlock gifted to me that was Military issued. I don't think I can break this thing, it's kinda heavy but you can torq down those needle nose pliers and not worry about it breaking. I have used and abused it and it's as good as new, Good sturdy tool. One handed opening is awesome as well. my .2 cents...
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

This thread got me thinking about Multitools again. I used to have a LM Charge, and it was great except for the fact that it takes two hands to open and close, and usually if I'm using it, the other hand is occupied. I wasn't aware the SOG could be opened one handed. Might be something I need to look into.

Any particular model anyone recommend?
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-