LOOKING BACK AT: The C-01 Worker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

LOOKING BACK AT: The C-01 Worker

Post by JD Spydo »

I was one person that was highly disappointed when the Great Spyder Factory discontinued the Worker model. I know it had a really long run but I personally think that this was one Spyder model that could have changed with the times.

Just think how great a Worker could be with a ZDP-189 blade and a Carbon Fiber handle ( either variation of CF). I have often wondered how nice a C-01 Worker would be with a Titanium handle and a newer CPM Crucible blade steel.

The Worker has become an almost forgotten model especially with the explosion of new Spyderco collectors. Again I think that ZDP-189 blade steel was made for this type of design. It also can be argued that the Worker may have been the most pragmatic EDC design that Spyderco ever put forth. I would like your feedbacks on this great Spyder CLASSIC of years gone by. If you have one please give us your take on it. Also for your mega-collectors I would value your input as well on this CLASSIC SPYDER.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
swede

Post by swede »

JD,
Here's one I've liked over the years.
Dave
Attachments
forum stuff 003.jpg
forum stuff 003.jpg (25.6 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Well JD, I never handled one :( but I would very much like a revamped version of it.

I said it before, but this would be a great knife to be the number 100. Going full circle ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

The looks of the worker never pulled me in, but Spydercos aren't meant to be pretty, are they ;)

Didn't this one have a sharpened swedge?
freeman7

worker

Post by freeman7 »

First Spyderco I ever bought. Carried it for some years. Still have it.
You are right. It is one of the best and deserves a re-birth.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

In my opinion the Worker was a very inovative knife/concept and the best way Spyderco could start in knife-business, indeed! To learn, that the Worker will under no circumstance see a revival, would hurt me.

@ Swede: I love this picture, but I would love the knife in hands more :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

The Worker was my first Spyder as well. I bought it in 1994 and it was love at first sight. The shape of the blade and the hole in it were what drew me to it at first, and as soon as I bought it, it went into my pocket and never left. There were many times in that "rough" part of my life when I even slept with it. We were inseparable for the most part until that fateful day when we parted company. It was a sad, sad day indeed!
Then in 2002, I was lucky enough to find another one and Since then I have bought two more that will hopefully stay with me a lot longer than the very first one. I sincerely hope the Worker makes a come back some day, I don't care what steel is used, I'd just like to see another run of them. The Worker is, always has been, and always will be my favorite Spyderco knife!

BTW, forgot to mention the EVO set, so make that 5 Workers so far.
Come on JD, let's keep up the lobby for another Worker!! ;) :cool: :D
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

swede wrote:JD,
Here's one I've liked over the years.
Dave
Hi Dave ... hope things are well.

Hmmm .. I've gotta go look, but I'm purdy sure I don't have this one .. :D
Is this about as rare as snake's teeth?
Steve
swede

Post by swede »

Hey Steve,
Things are going well here, I hope so too with you & yours.
This is a Worker I bought from Mr. Blanchard in Las Vegas about 10 years ago. I don't think I've seen another one with the same configuration.
Take care,
Dave
AUXCOM

Post by AUXCOM »

JD Great thread

No doubt this is one of the all time classics on my list. It was my 2nd :spyder: ( Co-Pilot was my 1st) and the loss of my original 1.5 years ago ( either it's somewhere in my house or stolen by a plumber - long story) was actually the thing that re-kindled my interest in :spyder: . When I discovered it missing it was one of those OMG, OMG moments. But as the saying goes something good comes out of something bad. I wasn't "plugged in" to anything :spyder: at the time, although the worker was my weekend EDC. It's loss drove me to google and that's where I learned about this forum, all the information here, and mostly excellent individuals. Since that time I've re-stocked and then some similar to Felljr's assortment.

Comment and a question about the postings thus far -
1. I totally and ENTUSIASTICALLY agree with Spydutch, it would be very cool to have a special edition "full circle" worker as #100

2. I really dig the swedge, although not sharpened out of the box, I like to do so to use as a non-scarry way to open pacakges, and cut twine. My question to the group is - Does a sharpened swedge, now put the knife technically into the double edge category, and therefore restricted in some US states? I'd appreciate any legal savvy or LEO's to chime in with their thoughts on this one
" As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I think you just took a running jump into a legal gray area.
Technically, a sharpened swedge is not a double edge.
Technically, a knife is not a gravity knife unless it is held shut by a latch and will fall open by gravity alone when the latch is released.
How many knives have been confiscated as gravity knives simply because an officer could open them with a wrist snap and didn't like the owner's attitude? The fact that a sharpened swedge doesn't make the knife double edged doesn't mean an officer can't say it does and take it anyway.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Episteme

Post by Episteme »

I really like the Worker. I have two serrated Tufram Workers, and they are really at the top of my Spyderco collection. I think that the blade size is perfect for EDC, and the Tufram handle makes this model that I have very lightweight. I wish Spyderco would have production models offered more in Tufram.
"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me." -Immanuel Kant

"I do not worry about what will happen; only what needs to be done". -Lucious Hunt, "The Village"
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Re-introduction of a Worker would probably make all those who liked the pointy tip of the Delica 3 happy.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
JD Spydo

the C-01 Worker: Too good to leave in the history books

Post by JD Spydo »

The older Tufram handles were indeed interesting. I would love a C-01 Worker with either a G-10 or Peel Ply Carbon Fiber handle. I am flexible on the possible blade steel that they might end up using.

I would prefer it be made with ZDP-189 as I stated earlier. However this knife would be great with a high end tool steel like M-4 or D-2.

This knife to me is much more of a classic than most people give it credit for. Just the fact that it lasted so long on the line up speaks volumes in regard of preference. It would be so proper to bring back this knife even with all new handle material combined with a "maiden voyage" of a new CPM blade steel.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!