Spydie lying in my kitchen drawer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
minimarc123

Spydie lying in my kitchen drawer?

Post by minimarc123 »

Hi, as I had one of my kitchen drawers open, I noticed a glimmering knife, so I grabed it to seehow sharp it was (checking to see if I could find a rozor-edge knife in my house).

Well... it turns out that this knife has a serated edge that, to my knowledge, looks exactly like a SpyderEdge!

It's just over a foot long, and has a small hole at the tip. The tip is also cut out to form a V shape (so it has 2 points). Also, for about 1/2inch at the tip, the serrations are only the small ones.

The writing on the blade says:

THE SHARP EDGE

SURGICAL STAINLESS STEEL

CHINA

Anyone know if this is a real Spyderco?

-map
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

NO WAY IS THAT A SPYDERCO

1. When (always?) Spyderco puts what kind of steel a blade is made of on the blade, they put _the_ specific alloy.

2. The SpyderEdge is probably the most copied seration pattern in existence.

3. Spyderco Has never produced a forked tip Kitchen Knife (according to _Spyderco_Story_ book)

Many more reasons there are, but these sufficient should be.

Knife Knut on a shoestring budget.
Clay Kesting

Post by Clay Kesting »

I'd have to say it's not a real Spydie. To my knowledge Spydies have never been produced in China, only in Seki City (Japan) or Golden. Also I don't believe Spyderco has ever used "surgical steel", the cheapest steel they use is AUS-6 and the knives are always stamped with the exact steel designation.

Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow, in Australia it's tomorrow already.
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

That sounds right to me also, but not all Spyderco knives are stamped with the steel used. Many of the older models are not marked, I'm not sure when they changed over (maybe late 80's or early 90's). After that point I think they are all stamped, but not owning them all (yet) I couldn't be %100 certain about that fact.

Ben
minimarc123

Post by minimarc123 »

OH well... at least it's good to know that Spyderco is the brand so many others want to copy

-map
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

It is a ginsu.