ATTENTION: Fake Spydercos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

ATTENTION: Fake Spydercos

Post by 224477 »

Dear all,

we had some threads in the past where forumites were asking about "not usual" Spyderco models that they aquired mostly via ebay.

I did a small personal research on chinese ebay, and even I dont understand a single word in chinese, was lucky enough to come across a couple of fakes.

Some of them were already posted, like the linerlock Gunting or Karambit.

Prices for these were typically suspiciously low, around 30 USD.

A couple of pics will follow!

BE CAREFULL FOR WHAT YOU PAY!!!
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."

Post by 224477 »

OK, this is the infamous 440 steel Karambit
Attachments
SN039D.jpg
SN039D.jpg (26.75 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
SN039B.jpg
SN039B.jpg (25.1 KiB) Viewed 3260 times

Post by 224477 »

another couple..

The genuine Spyderco Karambit has philips style barrel bolts screw, the fake has torx screws.
The Chris Reeves style frame lock looks different as well.
Attachments
SN039C.jpg
SN039C.jpg (22.89 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
SN039A.jpg
SN039A.jpg (21.91 KiB) Viewed 3179 times

Post by 224477 »

The liner lock chinese fake Gunting.

Gunting was never in liner lock AFAIK and the clip is completely different.
Attachments
fake gunting.jpg
fake gunting.jpg (55.63 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
28_1_sbl.jpg
28_1_sbl.jpg (24.39 KiB) Viewed 3144 times

Post by 224477 »

I was LOL when I saw this one, its not really a fake of a real spyder, but has the company name and spyder logo engraved on the blade.
Attachments
85_1_sbl.jpg
85_1_sbl.jpg (31.62 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

224477 wrote:I was LOL when I saw this one, its not really a fake of a real spyder, but has the company name and spyder logo engraved on the blade.
That's the spittin' image of one of the Spyderco patents I was reading earlier in the week. I thought it was odd Spyderco would patent a knife with a triangular opening hole.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

dedguy wrote:That's the spittin' image of one of the Spyderco patents I was reading earlier in the week. I thought it was odd Spyderco would patent a knife with a triangular opening hole.
i saw that patent too! apparently, so did some Chinese con artists. :mad:
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Funny thing is, I was going to start this thread sometime soon. All because of this one website I found while looking for some extremely cheap knives. It's called Asian Knife Express (http://www.asianknifeexpress.com).

This is the one that really made my blood boil though:
http://www.asianknifeexpress.com/catalo ... 9&detail=1

The only things I can tell that are different are the Two lines of text on the blade, instead of one, and the bent wireclip.

They also have many different rippoffs of emerson's, complete right down to the wave. The funny thing is that all these wave ripoffs have a clip on them that is only tip down.
v34

Post by v34 »

Out of interest I'd love to see one bought and taken to pieces with a concise treatise on why they are rubbish are the real deal is not.
To get a analysis on the steel, fasteners etc and indepth photos of the things I imagine like poor finish, rough edges, poor lockup etc.
cheez

Post by cheez »

Here's a website selling fake spydercos as well: Link

(Sorry, couldnt resist)

Keno
"I sold my voice to pay for my security. Now I write my sentences on its walls." - Jason Cruz
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

cheez wrote:Here's a website selling fake spydercos as well: Link

(Sorry, couldnt resist)

Keno
LOL...those b#stards!!!!
Qboy

Fakes

Post by Qboy »

v34 wrote:Out of interest I'd love to see one bought and taken to pieces with a concise treatise on why they are rubbish are the real deal is not.
To get a analysis on the steel, fasteners etc and indepth photos of the things I imagine like poor finish, rough edges, poor lockup etc.
Okay, this is really an issue of intellectual property--not the quality. If Spyderco pays great designers and someone else just copies, we should not support the copiers. I sell software. If someone copies it (illegal) and re-sells it, then people should not knowingly buy it. This is wrong.

Second, in asnwer to your query, these knives are crap. I bought one of those cheap Emerson karambit knockoffs before I knew any better. I can easily break that knife in half with my bare hands. I would not trust the liner lock for anything.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

cheez wrote:Here's a website selling fake spydercos as well: Link

(Sorry, couldnt resist)

Keno
hehehe yeh, that was one below the belt.... ;) :D
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

tonydahose wrote:LOL...those b#stards!!!!

my reaction was oh so similar!!!!!!!!! :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

yep you can buy a fake chinese spyderco for 30 USD but the shipping costs to the US is about $1,000 LOL :eek: Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
JD Spydo

But they're our friends: Aren't they?

Post by JD Spydo »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:yep you can buy a fake chinese spyderco for 30 USD but the shipping costs to the US is about $1,000 LOL :eek: Doc :D

Good let's starting putting huge tarriffs on all the "Landfill destined" garbage they stock "rip-mart" shelves with :mad: . Anyone who thinks that country is their friend is sadly mistaken :( .

Counterfeits?? You ain't seen nothing yet :mad:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

JD Spydo wrote:Good let's starting putting huge tarriffs on all the "Landfill destined" garbage they stock "rip-mart" shelves with :mad: . Anyone who thinks that country is their friend is sadly mistaken :( .

Counterfeits?? You ain't seen nothing yet :mad:
Friends are you kidding......not even close...double what JD said!!!.......Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
dialex

Post by dialex »

Thanks for the link. Asianknifeexpress (or whatever) has new and interesting stuff. Too bad the new one is not interesting and the interesting one is not new. And neither is theirs... :mad:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
noxtempus

Post by noxtempus »

There has always been rip-offs and counterfiets on the internet but it gets worse. i went to the knife store in the mall by my house and was looking around and i saw a spyderfly. for 45$. i was like it must be a sale or something and i asked to see it and the guy pulls it out and says "oh by the its a "mock" spyderco and tried to hand it to me. i laughed and walked out and was really pissed because it just annoys me to know that knife shops is malls are selling fake spydercos.
steeltiger

Post by steeltiger »

Sorry, don't exactly understand the bechmade thing. Could you elaborate please?
_''the ultimate awnser to life the universe and everything is......42''----
douglass Adams
_Thats my window on the world, if you dissagre please pm me
_''free and easey down the road I go''-Dierks Bently

TWO BILLION YEARS......