Forums Knife 2007 ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anson argyris

Forums Knife 2007 ?

Post by anson argyris »

Just curious: Which knife will become the Forums Knife for 2007 ?
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

I'm not only curious about that, but being new here, about what process is used to determine it.
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I'm not exactly sure how it's decided, but I know that when it is, we'll be the first to know :D .

I'm getting excited to find out too, the last two forum knives were designed by forumites here :D
Glock27

Waved ZDP Endura Forum Knife.

Post by Glock27 »

How about a Waved ZDP Endura :cool:
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

dialex has some very cool unrealized concept knives, I vote dialex unless the knife has to already be in production.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

what about the g10 endura Sal just spoke about.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Maybe...

A Forum Kiwi!

It's lasted through plenty of variations, and seems to be pretty popular.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

tonydahose wrote:what about the g10 endura Sal just spoke about.
That was the same thread he talked about "pain" right? ;)

Seriously though, we're a ways off from being able to do another forum knife.

As for the process, since I've been involved, is fairly simple. We (meaning Sal and I) listen to all of the requests and then discuss options and then we choose. For the past two years, I've handled all of the logistics for the Forum knife orders and believe me, it's no small task. I'm not griping, I love all of you, it's worth it. I'm just being honest.

Right now, we're in the midst of our busiest travel season, so it's just not feasible to take on this project at this point.

Keep discussing ideas though, we're "listening". :D

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Truth is there's no set pattern for Forum knives, but for the last two years it has been a model which had not yet been released, but was scheduled to be released within a couple months after the announcement was made. Last year's was announced by Kristi in early April with an anticipated ship date of June/July. Realistically, that's probably what will happen again this year. I doubt there will ever be another "special" forum model, where the color or material differs from standard production, since the sales of them did not justify the minimum quantities needed for that not to be a financial disaster for Spyderco.

So the question is, what's "in the pipeline", due out this summer, not so expensive as to limit it's appeal drastically, and with enough area for the "Forum Model" engraving on the blade or handle (assuming a SS or AL handle). There has not yet been an H-1 Forum Model, so perhaps the Saver Salt, or one of the Dive Knives would be a realistic choice.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

TazKristi wrote:
Right now, we're in the midst of our busiest travel season
Kristi
Kristi, Will anybody from Spyderco be at the OKC show in Eugene Oregon in April?
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I would like any forum knife for this year to be a normal affordable knife. Maybe with a different colored handle or something. Everyone always wants these really neat knives for the forum knife but not everyone can afford them.

No G10, no Carbon Fiber, no ZDP or S30V, no Titanium, etc....etc....etc...

Why not stick to a simple folder like the Delica or the Native? The Endura is too long for many people to legally carry. How about a Dragonfly or a Cricket, or a Spin, or.....? Something that everyone can afford and carry. Even a Scorpius with a spyder web on it with the forum engraving done on the blade?
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

yeah I agree, David, I like the D4.... :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
ozspyder

Forum Knife 07

Post by ozspyder »

I think affordability of the knife along with some uniqueness would make it easier to afford to the loyal forum members in this wonderful group here. I agree whilst it is very cool and awesome to have one of the more exotic Spydies as a forum knife (eg: Captain, Chinook III et al.) we have to look at the mass production of these and if Spyderco do make a loss then it is less of a loss to produce a $50 knife than a $150 knife.

Granted many companies do limited runs and do make a loss but it engenders brand/ company loyalty amongst its die-hard customers and client, that in turn generates more interest outside of the company's usual demographic....which in turn generates revenue (in theory)....and in Spyderco's example is pretty much the truth.

Small 3" or sub-3" blade would make it useable by almost everyone in the world, non threatening to sheeple, affordable, and frankly a better EDC option.

My vote:
1) something 3" or under
2) coloured handle (purple, pink :rolleyes: , green) or engraved S/S
3) can't be the same knife as previously produced as a forum knife from other years...lava, native etc..
4) a folder , not fixed blade

the above is my humble opinion only, remember to take in mind I am a newbie, nonetheless my 2 cents worth...... (purple dragonfly)

Daniel
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Good point David, Delica, Dragonfly and Cricket are all typical Spyderco knives.
Maybe the FRN handled Calypso jr. should be in this little hall of fame too.
Choosing among those would be a blind pick, any off em are suitable.
If I were to choose, I guess it would be a Dragonfly with an FRN grip of the brightest orange.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

anything with FRN of a unique color will have me saving pennies so that i can be in... :D
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

Forum Matriarch!!

:D
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

well even though i am self proclaimed endura nut i can see the point (no pun intended) of the knife's price being reasonable and since i don't own a dragonfly yet....
datan wrote:nonetheless my 2 cents worth...... (purple dragonfly)

Daniel
and the last purplish hue knife that :spyder: has come out with was the violet salsa (or the rainbow spyderfly , but thats pushing it) i second the vote for a purple dragonfly.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I vote for something different, but around 3-3.5 inch blade max.

I would love to see something like a FRN captain with an H1 blade (and a serrated inner curve, of couse ;) )
I think a blade like this would be the only new spyder I would ever need :D Of course, I would want to buy many more.

We could always bring back the dodo :D
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

David Lowry wrote:Everyone always wants these really neat knives for the forum knife but not everyone can afford them.

No G10, no Carbon Fiber, no ZDP or S30V, no Titanium, etc....etc....etc...
I politely disagree, I think the forum knife should be somthing that people want to scrimp, and save for. There is useally plenty of lead time and I want somthing that makes me want to stress over which organ I am gonna donate this time!
So somthing with CF/Ti and steel more excotic than mere ZDP/BG.
Bigger is always better here, I won't use it anyway.
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Matriarch, please. Or full-sized Persian. What ever the knife, it will only get limited use (if any).