Forums Knife 2007 ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
druid

Post by druid »

my personal choice would be a ZDP Lum Chinese folder with an anodized deep purple handle almost black.

Other options I haven't heard if forum you will in one of the more sought after steals when they come out maybe Damascus or my choice 10v

Or if it would help at all if you just throw a forum engraving on something you have a backstock of a fully serrated ZDP? for example. Not a very good idea but I'd be happy with it.

I also think a lot of people would get behind a sprint run forum dodo in any color or configuration.

Also Sal had mentioned at some point the possibility of a G-10 Kopa I think this would go over well. although I still think my idea of an all steel handle Kopa is a good one. ;)
why
druid

Post by druid »

fellyjr wrote:I'm wondering why there wasn't a Forum Knife offered in 2004. :confused:
Was it because there were two different models offered in 2003?
I don't knowt I guess the 2003 was a military with a spider bug inlay

and the 2004 was a blue frn spyder Hawk . I think that's correct
why
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

druid wrote: I also think a lot of people would get behind a sprint run forum dodo in any color or configuration.
True 'dat.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

druid wrote:I don't knowt I guess the 2003 was a military with a spider bug inlay

and the 2004 was a blue frn spyder Hawk . I think that's correct
Here they are in order:

2000 - MOP Spyder inlay Military PE

2001 - Blue G10 Native (PS and PE)

2002 - Burgundy Vesuvius PE

2003 - Blue FRN Spyderhawk PE / Blue FRN Native III PE

2004 - ???

2005 - Adventura

2006 - Lava

So I wonder what happened in 2004? Sal.......Kristi......???
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Poor sales. The Military sold fewer pieces than hoped for. The G10 Natives sold so poorly that many had to have the egraving removed so they could be sold through other channels. The Vesuvius had "issues". The Blue Spyderhawk and Native III, were total disasters in terms of sales. Spyderco decided to stop offering Forum knives after that. The idea was only revived due to input on this forum, specifically the suggestions that a standard production knife be used rather than a "special edition", that it be offered at a price closer to "street" price for the model being used, and that it be sold by prepaid subscription. The first meant that even if only a couple dozen were sold, the project could go forward. The second gave more people the incentive to participate. The third meant that Spyderco would not get stuck with "leftovers".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Thanks for the info Paul. It all makes sense now. ;)
I have all the Forum knives except the two blue Natives, and I was hoping I wouldn't have to try and find the 2004 as well! :eek:
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

fellyjr wrote: So I wonder what happened in 2004? Sal.......Kristi......???
There wasn't a 2004 knife. After lackluster sales for the two 2003 Forum knives (and earlier years also) we were probably lucky to get Forum knives in 2005 and 2006. Likely, the only reasons for those two were 1) they were designed by Forum members and 2) the only "custom" aspect was the engraving (i.e. no special inlays, materials or FRN colors).

Unfortunately, the additional cost of special tooling or materials seems to really deter many potential buyers - especially if the knives are only available through the SFO without significant dealer discounts.

I'd love to see a truly "special" Forum knife for 2007 - but it will certainly come down to a question of economics for Spyderco.
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

4 s ter wrote: I'd love to see a truly "special" Forum knife for 2007 - but it will certainly come down to a question of economics for Spyderco.
Thanks for the additional info 4 s ter.
I hope we WILL see a "special" 2007 Forum knife, but really, any Forum at all will suffice for me. ;)
Fatboy

Post by Fatboy »

Can anyone purchase Fourm knives when they come out ? :eek:
:spyder: Collector # 185
65 Spydies and counting
hawkbill

Post by hawkbill »

Yep, any forum member could call the SFO (Factory Outlet) and order them in the past.
I am what I am, and that's all that I am. Popeye
druid

Post by druid »

Fatboy wrote:Can anyone purchase Fourm knives when they come out ? :eek:
not everyone exactly, but I have a feeling you won't have a problem. ;)

Can't resist sorry :D
why
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Fatboy wrote:Can anyone purchase Fourm knives when they come out ? :eek:
Sort of. Once they're out, you can't order them anymore. They're pre-orders, but as long as you get your pre-order in and pay for it before the deadline you can get one.

Doesn't matter if you have one post or 10000. Heck last few times people joined the forum just to get the Forum Knives ;)
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Fatboy

Post by Fatboy »

So I just call the factory and pre-order it and pay ?
Thanks
:spyder:
:spyder: Collector # 185
65 Spydies and counting
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Well now let's take it easy. We don't know if there will BE a forum knife this year :( Kristi is usually in charge of that, and she's going to be occupied for quite some time.
TazKristi wrote:Ok, I'll play nice, it's not flowing, nor is it a forum knife. Sorry, with my schedule right now, it's not physically possible for a forum knife.

Taz
Kristi has done an awesome job with taking care of our forum knife needs in the past, and it was piled right on top of her existing duties at work, so let's be understanding here, eh?

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

How about a clipless Kopa...perhaps with a traditional American wood. (Deacon's reality checks be damned, this is brainstorming people! Sal is a creative dude, who knows what our desires may spark.) :D
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Well as always I will buy one, no matter what it is. I carried My Dialex forum knife yesterday. What a great knife!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

zenheretic wrote:How about a clipless Kopa...perhaps with a traditional American wood. (Deacon's reality checks be damned, this is brainstorming people! Sal is a creative dude, who knows what our desires may spark.) :D
Did you say clipless Kopa? wood?
I am in.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bh49 wrote:Did you say clipless Kopa? wood?
I am in.
Me too! :D Heck for that I'd probably cheat and twist the arms of a couple friends to sign up here so I could get more than two. :o :D

But, back on planet earth, I still think the Saver Salt looks like the most realistic candidate if its anticipated release date is somewhere between August and early November.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I still would love this.

It is Amazing.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote: But, back on planet earth
Do we have to do this???????
I still have a hope to see (and own)one day your Persian
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26481
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian