Forums Knife 2007 ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ozspyder

dunno about 2 knives ?

Post by ozspyder »

Hmm,

I don't know if I agree with there being 2 forum knives..... It's like going to the Olympics.... all the training and hard work and the end of the line, you are given the gold medal !!!! Yay !!! OH ! and the bloke next to you, also gets a gold medal, and the bloke that ran last.

I think by creating 2 forum knives for the 1 year it can be argued, and argued quite convincingly, that it dilutes the intrinsic meaning and also the value of the forum knife..... devalues both of them in fact. There is less of a scarcity value, and more of a preference value attached to the forum knife that appeals to a person.... and if you don't have both, do you then actually own a forum knife...or HALF a forum knife because there were 2 in that year???

My vote is for 1 knife (plus I don't think Spyderco can afford to do 2 special editions in the 1 year, logistically)
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

datan wrote:My vote is for 1 knife (plus I don't think Spyderco can afford to do 2 special editions in the 1 year, logistically)
Which is why I suggested that the Byrd not be a "special Edition" rather a production model.

As to the second part of your post, I appreciate what you are saying but disagree. It would make for an interesting poll thread though, if someone wanted to make one. Perhaps a multi-vote thread with options like: price and Spydie vs Byrd ($50-100, $100-$150, $200+, Byrd & Spyderco, only Spyderco).
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

How about the Viele Prototype with the Ball Bearing Lock that I saw at BLADE 06?
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
UK KEN

Spyderco Forum Knife

Post by UK KEN »

With respect.....if we are going to have a Spyderco Forum Knife, let it be a Spyderco knife. I do like the Byrd range but IMHO they do not represent the knives I love to use and collect. :)

If two knives were produced, more than double the work load is needed where the disrtibution is concerned, who wants both, one and of what type, a potential nightmare. :(

Regards, Ken
Sleeping Robot

Post by Sleeping Robot »

UK KEN wrote:With respect.....if we are going to have a Spyderco Forum Knife, let it be a Spyderco knife.
Agreed. I would also prefer something affordable
by as many of the forum members as possible.
My vote would be for a Cricket, possibly one of
the upcoming etched ones if they can be
engraved OK.

Ron
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

Sleeping Robot wrote:Agreed. I would also prefer something affordable
by as many of the forum members as possible.
My vote would be for a Cricket, possibly one of
the upcoming etched ones if they can be
engraved OK.

Ron
A cricket might be a good idea. Maybe instead of etched, some sort of embellishment to the handle?
coffeeman

one for all and all forum one.

Post by coffeeman »

Hey, My feeling is I will gladly take almost anytype of :spyder: Taz & Sal want to put forum on, just as long as there is a little more time to put the money aside. I could not do the Lava, money was just too tight. I must admit the fact it was a new production knife, it was stamped Forum and we got them before most people could buy the regular was great. To me several months lead time, a new or existing knife that is just a little different than the production would make it great.
Now I must admit, an H-1 steel with peely ply scales and new features like in the d4 would really rock.
Special thanks to Bill W. for all of his inspiration and guidance.

Do you know Bill ?

One :spyder: for all and all :spyder: forum one!
para-force

Post by para-force »

I agree with Sleeping Robot, I think the etched cricket with some sort of engraving would be awesome.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
dialex

Post by dialex »

Piet.S wrote:
Hey Alex, I didn't know Eric is here too.
Not very active lately, I guess The Factory eats most of his time... :( But he is a forumite, OK. :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
burningpit

Post by burningpit »

Personally, I would love to see a blue G10 Dragonfly. :D
:spyder: Collector Club #092 :spyder:

Post by 5150 »

like i've said before, i'm in for anything that would make the knife more unique or special ;) ...lot's of good ideas here... :cool:
SPYDERCO doesn't blend...and i like it!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i am always leery about these forum knife discussions, and amazed at how many wildly different interests are in play... (although the end result usually seems great!)

but just to stick my hand in the fire along with everyone else's -- what about the H1 chokwe folder under development?

WHY?

1. developed in part on the forum
2. nothing else like it out there
3. it's for a good cause
4. which means you'll have an excuse to buy multiple forum knives
5. which means maybe more will be sold?
6. which means that more good will be caused.
Sleeping Robot

Post by Sleeping Robot »

clovisc wrote:what about the H1 chokwe folder under development?

[...]
3. it's for a good cause
[...]
I think that would be great, assuming that the project comes to fruition this year. In fact, I had been thinking I should have added a caveat to my earlier suggestion of the etched Cricket - saying that the Chockwe would be great too if it happens soon enough. So thanks for bringing that up.

Ron
griff76

Post by griff76 »

clovisc wrote:i am always leery about these forum knife discussions, and amazed at how many wildly different interests are in play... (although the end result usually seems great!)

but just to stick my hand in the fire along with everyone else's -- what about the H1 chokwe folder under development?

WHY?

3. it's for a good cause
4. which means you'll have an excuse to buy multiple forum knives
5. which means maybe more will be sold?
6. which means that more good will be caused.
Sounds like an excellent option.
"There was never a good knife made out of bad steel"
-Benjamin Franklin
KamSingh

Post by KamSingh »

Any of these with Peel-Ply CF

Police
Dodo
Terzuola
Jess Horn
Poliwog
ozspyder

small special package

Post by ozspyder »

Good things come in small packages (ok, ok.... large packages are very good too :P). My vote would be something that is invariable good for EDC'ing, small, affordable, special:

Purple ladybug, cricket, dragonfly.

But I reckon the most EDC'd forum knife would have to possibly be a special Yin/Yang kitchen knife set ! what say the masses? stupid suggestion?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Time for another reality check.

Realistic, and thus feasible candidates would be...

- Any current production model already in circulation with no change aside from forum engraving.

- Any models Spyderco knows are scheduled for production and is reasonably sure will be delivered to them by before Oct of this year, again with no "special features" other than the forum engraving.

Unrealistic choices would be...

- Current production model, but with a different handle color, blade color, blade steel, handle material, etc., or some yet unannouced resurection of a "golden oldie". Any of those would be a sprint run, and would require both too high a minimum quantity and too much lead time to be feasible.

- Brand new "concept model" still in "discussion" phase, for which even a "proto-plastic" probably does not yet exist. One needs look no further than the "Supertanker" Hawkbill to realize a realistic minimum time for something like that to hit the street is well over a year.
datan wrote:But I reckon the most EDC'd forum knife would have to possibly be a special Yin/Yang kitchen knife set ! what say the masses? stupid suggestion?
No, not at all. Fairly interesting and extremely rational one really. Feasible, different, not obscenely expensive, and, as you say, having the potential to be useful as well as decorative.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Darkfin

I Second...er...Third...er...Fourth....

Post by Darkfin »

clovisc wrote: what about the H1 chokwe folder under development?

WHY?

Though I would think this would be more realistic for a 2008 forum knife. As for 2007, I'm all for a new FRN shade on a Delica or Endura (H-1? ZDP? D2? heh). Has Sal ever said if it was possible to use more than one color in those? A red & blue swirl would look cool! Or perhaps one side Red and the other blue?

Maybe white FRN? Yeah, THAT would be SHARP! Deacon, How hard can it be to change (or remove) the dye color used in the FRN handle mix? And how hard can it be to utilize the same blade that is already in circulation (referring to ZDP)? And what are the odds that a white handled (or new colored) Delica won't sell out light white lighting? Look at what happened to the Blue Delica ZDP.

Anyway, my .02.
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Th232

Post by Th232 »

datan wrote:Good things come in small packages (ok, ok.... large packages are very good too :P). My vote would be something that is invariable good for EDC'ing, small, affordable, special:

Purple ladybug, cricket, dragonfly.

But I reckon the most EDC'd forum knife would have to possibly be a special Yin/Yang kitchen knife set ! what say the masses? stupid suggestion?
I think that'd be a good idea, it'd definitely get used. Feels a bit strange though, looking through the current range of forum knives, and then this.

Although if I bought a pair, they'd be safe queens. Noooo way am I letting other members of my family near them with what I've seen happen!
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I'll vote for one of the Saver Salts as well :cool:

Otherwise an improved Dragonfly( I'll settle for VG10, unlinered FRN, wire clip, no Boye dent and a fully serrated blade) would be very nice :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p