traditional african spydie? any interest?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

Glock27 wrote:Now this would be a really cool Forum knife.
G27
That's a GREAT idea!!!
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

yes i'll third that vote....if its "affordable" to most.... :rolleyes:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Karen

Post by Karen »

Th232 wrote:Ok, the material itself is terrible, but you should be able to tell the outline of the cassava leaves:

What is the latest with this design? Will it be produced in the near future?
:spyder:
carpdiem

Post by carpdiem »

I've never seen this thread before, but it's interesting enough that I just read straight through the whole thing. This sounds like a very intriguing design--an excellent combination of functionality and culture.

One question though... from looking at the pictures of the proposed model, I'd be worried about my hand slipping onto the blade when trying to use the tip to pierce something tough. Would a choil (with an extended blade, to keep the cutting edge around 4 inches) or some similar safety feature be too far out there for this design?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Karen,

Funny you would bring that up. We've finished the design (pattern) and we're fitting locks to it. There isn't much room. Originally, I wanted an integral compression lock for simiplicity.

Then we decided to do it as a "special project" and popularity will beimportant. We just fitted a mid lock-back to it last week, but it will take some juggling of the pattern.

Any thoughts on a lock preference?

sal
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

integral compression lock or "lockback" please ... :)
brian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Mid lock-back is great.
What is handle material? Any chance for African ebony?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Now I know why spyderco doesn´t have any competition. This is amazing... :eek: Just don´t know what to say, maybe... You are fantastic!!! In the begining is just unpretentious idea and at the end... some great knive... that could be just :spyder:
ducktapehero

Post by ducktapehero »

I'm new but I read this whole thread. If it would be possible to keep this knife near the 100 dollar mark or less I'd love to get one too. I love my Nav2 and it brought me into the Spydie world but things like this let me know that it's about more than just the knife. It's the people behind the knife that makes this company so great.
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

sal wrote:
We just fitted a mid lock-back to it last week, but it will take some juggling of the pattern.

Any thoughts on a lock preference?

sal

I feel a mid lock-back would be the best bet. It’s a popular lock that most everyone is happy with. It doesn’t have the "cool" factor that the compression lock has. But I feel its a great lock for a simple design and will keep it looking clean. With it being a mid-lock back, the problems that could arise of accidental opening will be solved because even if you white knuckle the knife the lock would b somewhere around the hollow of your hand, So no safety problem what so ever.

What are the cost difference between a lock back and a compression? It seems to me that a lock back would be cheaper, but that’s just a guess?

So as much as I like the compression I would still say mid-lock back for this design.
What are you and the designers thoughts on this Sal?
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Raqudu

Post by Raqudu »

I'm probably in the minority, but I think this would be a good candidate for traditional slip-joint construction. No cut-outs or Boye dents to interrupt the angular lines of this beauty.
Raqudu :D

Freedom is never a gift. It is the "pearl of great price" in anguish won.
[RIGHT]- The Theological Concept of Freedom[/RIGHT]

"Well, it's a nice soft night so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason."
[RIGHT]- Michaleen Flynn (Barry Fitzgerald) in "The Quiet Man"[/RIGHT]
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Interesting you asked Sal, I've been fondling my Flatbyrd and I'm not sure what the dimensions of the holes in the Chokwe's handle are, but perhaps you could do a liner lock in the same style as that on the Flatbyrd? Doesn't require any space, and no chance of a release if you twist the handle.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

bh49 wrote:Mid lock-back is great.
What is handle material? Any chance for African ebony?
or African Blackwood? :)
brian
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Will,

If we went that route, we'd most tlikely use a Reeve style integral lock, which is also one of the locks in the running..

sal
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

:D ahhh... it's extremely exciting for me to see that this project is still underway! it's hard to find words to express the thrills of happiness that shot through me when i saw this thread at the top of the forums again!!! :D

i'd second the recommendation that the lock not interrupt the angular beauty of the knife... if it is to be a mid back lock, maybe no boye dent. (that'll keep the deacon happy, too... ) :D

as far as my personal preference in a lock... my prime concerns would be with strength and affordability.

you don't want a knife to fail in the bush -- but then, i've never had a spydie lock fail in the bush.

if the main goals behind the knife knife still include raising awareness of another culture, and possibly funding a charitable project, you might want to keep it affordable so as to engage as much of the market as possible.

i'm extremely excited to see how the project develops. it really warms my heart to think about the consideration and leadership spyderco and sal have shown in taking the concept so far...

and on a personal level, you can't imagine how excited i am to carry a spyderco knife and a knife from my own village -- combined into a single design!!!!!!!!

i'm very curious about the specs and materials... but i'm guessing sal will inform us about this stuff when he feels its appropriate. :D

tazkristi -- i believe i CC'd you in on an email a little while ago in regard to the administrative details / logistics of possibly funding a peace corps project. if you didn't receive the email, PM me, and i'll fill you in. :)

thanks, sal and kristi -- and thanks to everyone else who has supported and offered feedback on the design!!!!!
huugh

Post by huugh »

Africa has lot of interesting designs. If you excuse the poor quality, here are some examples (source: Arms & Armour, Dorling Kindersley Limited, London 1988):

j3jymann

Post by j3jymann »

The shape of that Kasaja looks beautiful, I really like it, too bad it would be a dagger and "illegal" where I live :(
Karen

Hi Sal, how is the design coming?

Post by Karen »

Any new info for us yet?
My fav lock design is the lockback. But I don't like the boyle dent.
peace & love...

:)
:spyder:
mr_bsii

Post by mr_bsii »

Keeping a close eye on this one. Unfortunately for my wallet, one of these will likely make it's way to the wilds of north GA. Lockback is fine, but I really like the compression and integral locks. Looking forward to it either way.

bs
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Karen,

Design is complete, we're working on lock engineering and fit now. My preference would be for a Compression lock or a Reeve Integral Lock.

The current proto is being made with a G-10 front scale and a RIL ( Reeve Integral Lock) on the back scale.

We're always open to opinions.

sal