how about another spyderco necklace?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
golem

how about another spyderco necklace?

Post by golem »

The mini-police has been discontinued for years, I I still think it's a must have jewellery for all knifenuts. How about bring on another mini-spydie necklace? Maybe a mini-poliwog or mini-cricket? with some more rust-free material such as talonite? That will be way too cool!
Th232

Post by Th232 »

I'd go for a mini-Cricket! That would look cool.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

dialex

Post by dialex »

Agreed 100%. We need a new necklace. Yes, I guess the Polywog would look cool as a necklace, but I'm not sure about a ball lock that small... OTOH, a mini Cricket... :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
surawut

Post by surawut »

Mini Cricket sounds great. I would love to have one. The lock would need to improve though. Otherwise, accident can happen easily.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Sharpest thing you need to have is your mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

I would buy any model the Great Spyder Factory chose to make but I guess I'd be partial to a Blue Lum. :)
Stenny

Post by Stenny »

I would love to see new run of completely rustproof (H1) Police necklaces. Or SS Endura ones. Cricket would be probably too small to be really useful at all. Maybe Spin with a bit redesigned handle?
golem

Post by golem »

or, a slipjoint like ukpk or kiwi. Indeed, at this size, lock doesn't make too much sense.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Another vote for H1 here... Maybe a mini-Para military model?
Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

Another Cricket vote...

T :D
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Th232

Post by Th232 »

IIRC, the locks to date have been slipjoints, rather than proper locks? I think it should also look good if you're just wearing it as a necklace as well, hence my call for a Cricket. Since it'll be that small, maybe something like the SFSW Yin and Yang Cricket?
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I would love to see a Cricket necklace but I don't think it will ever happen.
IIRC Spyderco stopped making the Police necklace because they did not want any chance of one of there knives getting on an airline.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Th232 wrote:IIRC, the locks to date have been slipjoints, rather than proper locks? I think it should also look good if you're just wearing it as a necklace as well, hence my call for a Cricket. Since it'll be that small, maybe something like the SFSW Yin and Yang Cricket?
You have a good point about the locks, and I'd be up for a Cricket necklace IFF it was done in a leftie ][Family Guy style random clip][/B]
"EXCUSE me! Are you looking at my breasts? :eek: "

"No, I'm admiring that deceptively decorated knife between them."
[/Family Guy style random clip]

...besides, my flash drive gets lonely and pulls the hairs out of my chest just to get attention. :rolleyes:

So, :spyder: necklace designed from the ground up. I'll start sketches.

"What say the augurers?" -AllenETreat

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

I'd like to see another run of the mini-police. But in Ti/H1 this time. (Maybe with a slightly beefier lock too).
That's be another one to add to the list...
"Even though I, Bruce Lee, may die some day without fulfilling all of my ambitions, I will have no regrets. I did what I wanted to do and what I've done, I've done with sincerity and to the best of my ability." - Bruce Lee
Th232

Post by Th232 »

uhiforgot wrote:Personally, I'm all for having a new :spyder: designed specifically as a necklace. Maybe it won't be one-handed or have an MBC rated lock, but something smaller than a Jester/Ladybug3 that can be worn on a dog tag chain or other small chain, but with big cutting power, great ergos (for one finger or so), and either be deceptively decorative or extremely low profile as to not draw any unwanted attention...

[Family Guy style random clip]
"EXCUSE me! Are you looking at my breasts? :eek: "

"No, I'm admiring that deceptively decorated knife between them."
[/Family Guy style random clip]

...besides, my flash drive gets lonely and pulls the hairs out of my chest just to get attention. :rolleyes:

So, :spyder: necklace designed from the ground up. I'll start sketches.

"What say the augurers?" -AllenETreat

-Jeff
This augurer says that it'd look good!

As for designed knives, well, we never did get a run of Sal's pendant, did we? I'm not sure precisely what was patented &c, but:

Five minute's work, which explains why it's so basic.

I don't know precisely how we would get this to work, but since we aren't going for MBC rating, all we really need is reliability. How reliable was the pivot on the Gerber Chameleon?

If there's interest, I'll do more work on the handle (ergos... it has ergos?).

Edit: I have no clue as to how a reliable lock would even be possible, given the limitations. The furthest I've gotten is a liner/frame lock on the thin handle, but that would be very flimsy. Any ideas?
Will

uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Th232 wrote:This augurer says that it'd look good!

As for designed knives, well, we never did get a run of Sal's pendant, did we? I'm not sure precisely what was patented &c, but:

Five minute's work, which explains why it's so basic.
Yeah, basic. Yep. Sure... ;)

I like it :D :D :D

Never thought of something like that...

I'll have to sleep on this idea some more because now you got me thinking in a different direction.

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Err... I've just realised, the above pendant/knife is 9 cm long. Back to the drawing board :o

Edit: On second thoughts, is the size fine?
Will

Th232

Post by Th232 »

Ok, I'm getting the size down, but I think I've hit the minimum limit (8 cm long, 3.4 wide).

To anyone who has the Police necklace, what's the approx pivot size, and the distance the pivot is from the edge of the handle?
Will

J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Get rid of the bottom 2 holes and down size it to 25mm long and that could be the Value totum knife.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Looks like a fun concept th, but I was thinking about how cool a mini SE harpy would be. The harpy is the longest running model currently in the lineup, right?
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

I'd go for a mini spyderco. I love minis!