CX11P Wegner Mouse

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fellyjr

CX11P Wegner Mouse

Post by fellyjr »

I have a chance to get one of these but the guy wants $250 for it. :eek:
Can anyone advise me on the approximate value of this knife? Does anyone remember seeing one of these on ebay in the past, and if so, how much did it go for? I have seen reports that only 1000 were made, and I know very little about this model so any help would be greatly appreciated! ;)
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

IMO that is high.I have seen a couple go on Ebay at prices over 150.00 but I think that is rare.I would love to find another one but I wouldn't put over 125.00 or so in it.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

On Ebay-US I saw:

July 2006 - 158,- Euros
September 2006 - 117,- Euros
October 2006 - 137,- Euros

Sorry, I don't record the prices in USD as the Euro is more important for me, but with the exchange rates you will find out the USD prices :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Peter1960 wrote:On Ebay-US I saw:

July 2006 - 158,- Euros
September 2006 - 117,- Euros
October 2006 - 137,- Euros

Sorry, I don't record the prices in USD as the Euro is more important for me, but with the exchange rates you will find out the USD prices :)
Thanks Peter. ;)
So between $153 and $207. I guess $250 is a bit high but not astronomically so! :eek:
Thanks for the feedback guy's!! :)
bell

BladeTech

Post by bell »

That price is way out of line. You like the Tim Wegner Mouse? go to his website and get the Mouse II in G10 or CF or even an ecomomy version, or buy from NG. Caveat Emptor.
WhyNot

Post by WhyNot »

fellyjr,
Here is what I have in my records for 2006...
The prices for "regular" mouse without fish: from $154 to $228.
I have only one price recorded for mouse with fish - it went for $246.
All prices conveniently presented in US dollars :D
Sorry if it not something you'd like to see :rolleyes:
The little Mouse is getting ridiculously expensive.
WhyNot
swede

Post by swede »

fellyjr,
This seems to be the story with most fairly low-production "classics". Spyderco never really seemed to push this knife when it first came out. I remember a trip to SFO when they were in stock for about $69. I bought one.
Later, on ebay, some dealer had a "Dutch Auction" (I didn't even know what that was) but he had 25 or so, and the top bids, in descending order, got what he had. I got 4 at $40. each. As I remember, the high bidder got 5 or so for $55, and the last ones went for about $37. With prices what they are now, I could have kicked myself for not bidding a little higher. Apparently, I could have had them all for $56. each. What a windfall.

Anyway, I've sold off a few and am keeping the numbered one from SFO and one more.

The current Wegner Mouse was at least in part designed by Vince Ford, a very nice fellow who was once a Spyderco employee. He's the person who hand-built a few Ocelot/Lynx prototypes, way before they were ever produced. I don't think the current Wegner Mouse has a round hole, but the shape's still the same and finish is great.
Dave
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I remember when they were selling for 39.95 on close out,I wish I had bought 20 of them then.
I have had some with the fish,sold a couple and lost the one I was going to keep.Really miss that knife,I would offer a great trade deal on one if I ever see another one up for trade.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

We've spoken (written) about the Mouse.

It's a great little knife. You can find many posts of mine, here and elsewhere singing its praises.

No way in the world I'd pay $250 for one. Absolutely not.

There are too many other choices available today that will serve equally well for fractions of that cost.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

tortoise wrote:We've spoken (written) about the Mouse.

It's a great little knife. You can find many posts of mine, here and elsewhere singing its praises.

No way in the world I'd pay $250 for one. Absolutely not.

There are too many other choices available today that will serve equally well for fractions of that cost.
Well I don't think it should go for half that much but it's a hole in my collection that needs to be filled in so I have to get used to the fact that I might have to spend a little more to get it. :(
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

I found out that the Mouse for $250 has a fairly deep scratch in the blade so I told the guy to take a flying leap through a rolling doughnut! He wouldn't budge on the price so I basically told him that I thought he was being a little too greedy and sorry it didn't work out. What's up with people thinking that their knives are made of gold these days? I must say it pisses me off quite a bit!! :mad:
lamarrk

Post by lamarrk »

bell wrote:That price is way out of line. You like the Tim Wegner Mouse? go to his website and get the Mouse II in G10 or CF or even an ecomomy version, or buy from NG. Caveat Emptor.
I agree. That's what I did when I found the one or two on eBay going for more than I could afford. I bought a new Mouse II in CF for around $85 including shipping. Got a G10 handle Mouse II off BladeForums for $60. Almost identical to the :spyder: . The hole is "V" shaped and from a picture the Mouse II appears to be very slightly shorter in the handle.

Of course, it's not a :spyder: , but close enough and it's a great EDC.
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

What is a 'fish' model??
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

The first 100 delivered from Spyderco had the fish symbol Tim Wegner uses in his logo. These were originally intended for good friends and members of his church. Only 100 is a good reason for the price.
rycen

Post by rycen »

We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

fellyjr wrote:Well I don't think it should go for half that much but it's a hole in my collection that needs to be filled in so I have to get used to the fact that I might have to spend a little more to get it. :(
Understood.

Collecting is something else, sometimes you have to chase the elusive. Heck, I'd sell you mine for less than that price. ;)