Spyderco and Reliable Automatic Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zac

Spyderco and Reliable Automatic Knives

Post by Zac »

Thanks to Wouter, you have seen the Citadel and Samaritan.

Now let me make an argument. Could these do well as production blades? Absolutely! Why? 15 reasons!

1) Not a single good hollow or saber grind automatic exists (most are using CPM-154 and a flat or chisel grind)
2) No reliable automatic exists in CPM-S30V, I do not count Lone Wolf as reliable
3) There are at best two companies making decent automatics, Protech and Benchmade; additionally Microtech may be going out of business and Protech does not make the best utility knife
4) The safety allows government contracting IIRC
5) There is currently not a single good double action automatic on the market
6) Mr. Butch Valloton makes an amazing double action knife
7) A fully serrated automatic knife does not exist although Rescue Automatics do...this could be a market share here alone
8) Colorado residents will likely be able to legally carry Spyderco automatics since they will be made in Colorado, depending on the state's law
9) Automatic knife collectors are angry at Microtech and are running out of new automatics to buy, but are more than willing to spend money on something new and good
10) Automatic knife collectors will buy the same knife if it can be had in different options and features
11) Low cost, reliable automatics do not exist; Benchmade is the cheapest priced on the market, and they are relatively expensive
12) Gun makers want automatic knives to say their company's name on them
13) One of the biggest complaints from automatic users is the lack of ergonomic handles on available choices
14) To my knowledge, no current automatic is offered in G10
15) Spyderco, as an already established and very respected firm will have loyal backing as their customers know that they have the ability to produce a superb product. Subsequently, their ability to make a reliable automatic will not be questioned given so many companies try to make decent automatics and fail. The customer loyalty for the initial runs of an automatic would be a major selling point as I dare say everyone here would buy one and having one as a Forum Knife would probably be well accepted.
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Zac wrote:8) Colorado residents will likely be able to legally carry Spyderco automatics since they will be made in Colorado, depending on the state's law
Nope, not legal -- but thanks for thinking of us anyways.
Zac

Post by Zac »

Darned...by federal rules you can carry in the state they were made, but many states have their own legislation.
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Zac wrote:The customer loyalty for the initial runs of an automatic would be a major selling point as I dare say everyone here would buy one and having one as a Forum Knife would probably be well accepted.
Respectfully, I believe that having an automatic as a forum knife will result in decreased numbers, mainly because of those of us in places where automatics are banned (Australia, Canada, and probably various places in Europe and other countries as well as certain US states) will not be legally able to get one. Pity, too. :(
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

Okay, stupid question, but I've never owned or been big into automatics.

What does double-action mean?

:spyder:
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I didn't realize the Samaritan is an automatic as well???
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
iamerror

Post by iamerror »

Firefighter880 wrote:Okay, stupid question, but I've never owned or been big into automatics.

What does double-action mean?

Double-action means that pushing the button/lever/whatever both opens and retracts the blade.
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

Ahhh, Thank you.

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
elt1

Arrrrgh!

Post by elt1 »

The Citadel looks fantastic. Love the swedge on top of the blade...
Too bad I'll never be able to carry it up here in the great northwest (north o' the 49th).
Dammit!!!! :mad:
Hodie piaculum cras suspectus.
"Todays victim, tomorrows suspect."
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

iamerror wrote:Double-action means that pushing the button/lever/whatever both opens and retracts the blade.
I thought someone a while back said that double action means that you can open either by pressing the button or by using the spydie hole like a regular spyderco.

Which is the samaritan?
Glock27

Post by Glock27 »

I want one of each :D ....and a couple spares too.
G27
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

cobrajoe wrote:I thought someone a while back said that double action means that you can open either by pressing the button or by using the spydie hole like a regular spyderco.

Which is the samaritan?
Thought the same.
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

cobrajoe wrote:I thought someone a while back said that double action means that you can open either by pressing the button or by using the spydie hole like a regular spyderco.

Which is the samaritan?
you are correct, for side openers double action means it can open manually or automatic. now for out the front knives d/a means open and close automatically. iamerror was partially correct.
"A little temperance is a good thing" -- Sal Glesser

mikebandw186

Post by mikebandw186 »

Dual Action (D/A) can mean two different things on a knife. For out the front Auto's, it means that the button or slide or whatever it is that causes the actual knife movement moves it both out, and back in. with folding knives, it usually means that you can open it with the button, etc., or with the thumb stud.

Also, I think Lone Wolf makes a plenty fine knife. the one auto i have a a LW Lobo D/A, in black G 10, with S30V. Don't carry it much. i like the :spyder: way more. plus i somewhat dislike the liner lock on it. too tight. But it came very sharp, and it's the only knife i have with a recurve on it.

But, more on the point of the topic, I'm pretty sure that even though I live in the same State as the knives will be produced in, I won't be able to legally carry, or own, one, unless i was an active duty military or law enforcement officer. Darn. Probably won't keep me from getting one though
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." Sal Glesser

Proudly carrying the SpyderEdge!

Chance is a fickle B$%^h and I have no faith in the judgmental abilities of criminals. -KaliGMan
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

cant even own one here in TX muchless carry one.
"A little temperance is a good thing" -- Sal Glesser

Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Texas Penal Code

§46.02. Unlawful carrying weapons.

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.

Nothing there prohibiting ownership severed thumbs. The only limitations on illegal knives in this state are that you do not sell one to someone under 18, and you leave it at home.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Texas Penal Code

§46.02. Unlawful carrying weapons.

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.
Darn, that's nicer than our carry laws by far! Jordan, you sure that there isn't another part of the law that defines illegal knives?

Wonder what they define as a club, though...
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Zac

Post by Zac »

I posted this on Glock Talk a while back for those wondering how automatics work and the difference in Double Action versus Dual Action.

My complaint with Lone Wolf is that many have had them open in their pocket, myself included.
Originally posted by NickZac
There are different types of automatic knives...

An automatic knife is a knife that uses a a spring opening mechanism to open the blade.

In a single action out the side automatic, you press a button on the handle and the knife flings open from the spring. To close, you manually press the open button and close the blade. Traditional switchblades are called Out The Side automatics.

Here is what a modern out the side auto looks like which is a Benchmade Auto-Stryker 9100 SBK/SB

Then there are Double Action Out The Side Automatics. This means they can be opened manually with a thumb stud, or by a hidden switch. There are many different switches but this classic Colt illustrates the concept.

Then you have OTF, Out The Front, automatics in that a switch or button forces the blade out the front of the knife, as opposed to being hinged and opening out the side. Benchmade, Microtech, MOD, DKW, Dalton, Triton and others make these.

There are two types of OTF.

The first is a single action. That means a button releases the blade to open automatically, but the user must through a mechanism (all vary depending on the maker) retract the blade manually. The best known SA OTF is the Microtech HALO.

The second is a DA or Dual Action OTF. That means that a switch will both automatically fire open and pull close the blade. The best known DA OTF is the Microtech Ultratech.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Here in KY, you can carry an auto, or just about anything you want, with a CCW permit. Personally, I really like the looks of the Citadel as a standard non-Auto, especially if it could be fitted with a comp. lock.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Thanks Zac, that makes a lot of sense now. I knew I heard both definations of a DA auto, but I knew a self closing out the side knife was a rather silly idea.