A Surprise For Me (Pics)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ront

A Surprise For Me (Pics)

Post by ront »

For a while now, I have been looking at the ATR's. I would really like one of the Ti models, but they are hard to find and pretty expensive. So when I saw a black ATR over on the other forums I grabbed it. It belonged to one of our own, "squad314", who I must say is a great guy. I have been saving the $$ to pay for the ATR but have not paid for it yet. I had a big surprise a couple of days ago when the knife showed up. What a great knife. It has been used, but not abused at all. It is a beast of a knife. It is bigger than I remembered it being, but that is just fine. What a smooth opener it is as well as a rock solid lock up!! I do like the all black knife.
I really wpuld like to know more about the ATR as I don't know a lot about it. What is it designed for? Several have asked about the blade shape and why it is shaped that way. I would appreciate any and all info available.
I will include some pics. I am curious who collector 102 is. I have several knives with this collector # on them.

Thanks squad314!!

Ron

A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

What a great find, Ron, you must be very pleased indeed. :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Congratulations on ATR.
Nice to see that Caly3 still on the picture.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

Great catch, Ron!

I actually just ordered a SE ATR this morning! Great minds think alike.

I'm not sure either about what the intended purpose of this knife is, or about the blade design. I did a search using "ATR*", because just "ATR" is too short, and I turned up a few good links with some nice pictures, but not very much information. From what I found, the testimony seems to be that it is a solid hard-use knife, and that was what I was looking for, so I went with it. Something to kind of fit in between the Para and the Manix.

:spyder:
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
ront

Post by ront »

I don't think that you will be disappointed Firefighter880. It is a strong knife. It is not real light, but also not real heavy. It feels very good in the hand and just feels good and solid!!
bh49, I honestly don't see the Caly3 leaving my pocket for a very long time. It is a great EDC.

Thanks, Ron
samosaurus

Post by samosaurus »

Nice score! :D

Sam :cool:
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

It always looked like a giant Jester to me. Have always wanted one but the high cost keeps me away similar to the Persian and Viele and I juust don't love the design enough to make it a "must have" like the Captain.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
spyderwa

Atr

Post by spyderwa »

The ATR is a great knife. I held off getting one until the price went down. I Froogled, ([url]http://www.froogle.com)[/url], it and found a plain-edge one for $82 n.i.b. I really enjoy the ergonomics as well as the fit and finish. This is really a fantastic underappreciated knife.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Website
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
squad314

Post by squad314 »

Hi Ron,I'm glad you're pleased....enjoy "The Beast".I like the ATR very much,and with much hesitation decided to move it.Unfortunately,at this stage of my knife collecting life,multiple knives in the same catagory are not feasable.So when I decided I wanted to try another "hard-use" knife,I had to make room.One consolation however is that the ATR is still in production and I will have another.

As far as info,all I know is that it is one of Sal's designs.In the other models,his sig mark is on the blade near the hole.For some reason it is left off the black ones.Another tidbit is that ATR stands for At The Ready.......which it clearly is. :D

I'm interested to see who the collector is as well.It's neat you have other knives with this number.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

I love my ATR but I love my Stretch too.. I don't think I could choose between the two. I have my eye on a ATR Ti PE, mine is SS SE but I like the black as well but I'm tellin' ya the SS SE is a beast to hold and look at although I do worry about it being slippery in an emergency situation.. flood or blood.. seems the black model would have a better grip. My SS opens smoother than the Ti I handled so I doubt I'll get that one.. serrated black though.. woo wee.. how does that black ATR feel in your hand? Is it slippy?

I just bought a Black Millie PE CC numbered and I think that in a pinch that would be a better tool but it just doesn't ride like ATR, ATR is comfy but that Millie makes it look like I'm real happy to see ya. Some folks complain about the clip on the ATR being obvious but I think it looks cool, it doesn't scream TACTICAL it looks more like it could be attached to an all in one tool.

"At The Ready" sounds like a brawler but it isn't high on anyone's list here for SD as far as I can tell. Doesn't seem like much of a stabber either but whatever.. it is a functional work of art.
will_77

Post by will_77 »

Nice knife. I think Collector #102 is one of New Graham's numbers they get, that's where my tasman salt with #102V came from.
ront

Post by ront »

will_77 wrote:Nice knife. I think Collector #102 is one of New Graham's numbers they get, that's where my tasman salt with #102V came from.
That thought had crossed my mind.

Ron
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Congrets on your new knife, Ron! IMO the ATR black looks much better than the ATR SS. Would you use it as EDC?

The wording from Spyderco for the ATR SS:
A.T.R. is an acronym for At The Ready -- and it is. Spyderco showcases several technologically advanced features in this high-end tactical folder. The original model was released last year with a titanium handle. The new stainless handled ATR offers the same tactical features at a lower price point.
We precision machine a fistful of steel into a handle then drilled it full of holes. The holes lessen weight, doubling as indexing divots in order to rotate the folder from one grip position to another. A second set of holes machined from the contoured pocket clip line up with the handle's holes for balanced indexing. Curvy expansions on opposite ends of the handle flare outward into a choil and a pinky shelf insuring the hand remains gripped on the folder in any draw. Rated suitable for heavy or MBC-use, the Compression Lock is integrated, actually part of the handle scale. The VG-10 blade is hollow-ground with a sloping unsharpened swedge down the spine. As the tip sweeps down, the belly sweeps up to meet it, making a thick substantial tip for aggressive penetration and cutting. Seated above the Spyderco Round Hole is a Cobra Hood. While deploying the blade the thumb naturally positions itself under the overhang of the Cobra Hood properly positioning the thumb pad over the hole by feel (rapid deployment). Once opened, the textured Cobra Hood functions as a support/control seat for the thumb while cutting. Clip fastens into pre-tapped positioning holes for tip-up, left/right-hand carry
And for the ATR black:
Always ready. Spyderco’s stainless steel A.T.R (At The Ready) comes well-heeled with high-tech tactical features and is fully coated in non-reflective black Carbon Nitride. Drilled out of the stainless handle and clip are a series of holes. The holes lessen the folder’s weight and make position spots for the thumb and fingers to index the knife into different grip-holds. The integral Compression Lock, locks open the blade by using part of the handle scale using fewer moving and wearable parts. Tip to tang the VG-10 blade is 3- 7/16 inches (87mm) with a snub-nose that cants upward becoming thicker at the tip for extreme and strenuous use. The hollow-ground blade has an additional dagger-grind down its center effectively balancing both sides while simultaneously enhancing tip strength. Unlike a traditionally ground dagger, the spine is non-sharpened. Positioned above the Spyderco Round Hole, a Cobra HoodTM juts a flange of steel out, over either side of the blade, guiding the thumb into position over the hole for rapid, by-feel, deployment. While you cut, the Cobra Hood creates a textured seat where your thumb finds slip-resistant purchase. Pre-drilled clip holes create the option of left or right-handed use and position the folder tip-up in the pocket. Overall length is 8- 7/16 inches (213mm), overall weight is 4- 3/4 ounces (135 g).
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Peter1960 wrote:Congrets on your new knife, Ron! IMO the ATR black looks much better than the ATR SS.
:
I have the SS ATR, but after seeing many pics of the black, I agree Peter. :)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

Same here. I just got a SE SS ATR a few days ago, but the Black ATR does look better. I wanted the knife for heavy use though, so I went silver rather than black, plus the black SE was $20 more than the silver SE. When you're on a budget, that 87 to 107 makes a difference! :(

:spyder:
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
ront

Post by ront »

Thanks for the comments guys.
Peter, thanks for the information. I won't carry this knife a lot for EDC, just because it is a fairly good sized knife. It is a fairly thin knife though so it hides in your pocket pretty easily despite it's size. It is a very nice knife.

Ron
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

congrats on the ATR Ron....it's a great design....my SS one is definitely one of the Smoothest opening pivots of my :spyder: -stable... :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
bob7

Post by bob7 »

Hey Everybody,
I just got a black SS ATR PE about a month ago. I have been very pleased w/ the knife having had my doubts about the cobra hood and Temp. Jr. style pocket clip. The cobra hood isn't my cup of tea, but it doesn't bother me now. The knife carries flat, can be used closed to strike things w/ its pommel, and slices very well because of the relative thinness of the blade
(1/8, I think). The coating seem very durable, as well. I bought this to replace my need for a Police model. I can hold this knife in any grip and the lock will not be affected. Good job, Spyderco.

bob7