Dodo's, how much will I need?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spydutch

Dodo's, how much will I need?

Post by spydutch »

Greetings you all :)

I managed to buy another NIB Black Dodo/SE from BF, so I'll have a back up for my other Dodo soon ;) :)

I intend to rotate this knife with my trusty Delica 3/SE.

Since they're rather hard to come by, how much back up Dodo's will I need? I will use my Dodo for medium to hard cutting chores.

To any of you long time Dodo users: How will the knife hold up over time? I mean in terms of lock, serrations and the such.

I hope you can help me out on this ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
thom lambert

Post by thom lambert »

Use 'em hard! Short of wearing the serrations down (I wouldn't know, I use PEs) the Dodo is going to stand up to anything you would reasonably use it for. I think that short-bladed knives are less prone to damage simply because there is less leverage against the pivot in hard use. I have been pleasantly suprised at the durability of the needle point on my 2 EDC Dodo's.
swingshot

Post by swingshot »

The only part of The Dodo that's in anyway not robust is the tip, and that will probably take a moderate amount of abuse.

As for scarcity, i think that's been a little hyped where The Dodo is concerned, they're pretty easy to get in any color or blade style.
eL_PeLaDiLLo

Post by eL_PeLaDiLLo »

Don't know how many you'll need, but the Dodo sure is a mean little knife. I think my Dodo will find a great home with you.
"Live Life, Be Happy, No Worries..."
eastr

Post by eastr »

i would say around 60$ 70$
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=spy ... lnk=prsugg
here is a froogle search
"THE ROUGH RIDER”“FAR BETTER IT IS TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS..THAN TO TAKE RANK WITH THOSE POOR. TIMID SPIRITS WHO KNOW NEITHER VICTORY NOR DEFEAT.” THEODORE ROOSEVELT 1899
spyderco making mans oldest tool mans most advanced tool:spyder:
THE GREATSET POWER IS OFTEN SIMPLE PATIENECE
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
JD Spydo

Bring back the Dodo>>> PleASE??

Post by JD Spydo »

I have 2 blue, plain edged Dodos that I use at least 2 to 4 times a week. They are a great knife to use when I do a lot of my packaging. I have taken one of them to work with me on a couple of occasions here of late. They are really handy to do precised, controlled, pull cutting jobs.

Plus the Dodo handle is one of the most comfortable that I have ever used. It still baffles me as to why it was ever discontinued. But evidently I guess the sales weren't up to expectations so I was told. Being the first ball bearing knife that Spyderco ever made it will always have a place in my heart.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that the Dodo will make it's way back into the lineup at some point because there is still a steady demand for it. Coupled with the fact that it is literally the only blade of it's kind in the production market ( at least that I am aware of) :cool:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

i've had my blue dodo SE for just under a year now, and aside from grinding away the tip during one of my early attempts at knife sharpening, the knife is in perfect condition. the lock is still rock-solid, and the serrations are sharp.

Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
FRIZ

Post by FRIZ »

I just have 13 Dodos. :D And I am waiting for a “sprint run” so I can add another 5. :) Sal do you hear me? ;)

DODO SPRINT RUN! DODO SPRINT RUN! DODO SPRINT RUN! DODO SPRINT RUN! DODO SPRINT RUN! DODO SPRINT RUN! DODO SPRINT RUN!

Regards,
FRIZ
"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''

Sir Winston Churchill
swingshot

Post by swingshot »

FRIZ wrote:I just have 13 Dodos. :D

:eek: :eek: :eek:
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

If you want back ups for a life time I would go with 5 or 6.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
bh49

Post by bh49 »

[quote="FRIZ"] I am waiting for a “sprint run” so I can add another 5. :) Sal do you hear me? ]

I am with you on Sprint run. I would love to get couple of PE any color.
G10 please.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
FRIZ

Post by FRIZ »

DODO SPRINT RUN!

????????????????????????????????????? :D

Regards,
FRIZ
"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''

Sir Winston Churchill
malice4you

Post by malice4you »

eastr wrote:i would say around 60$ 70$
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=spy ... lnk=prsugg
here is a froogle search
the four that come up when searching on froogle are at stores that do not have them in stock. Minimum I've seen any go for recently has been $90 (mine :D ) and I've seen a NIB sell for $170+ - though I pay most attention to blue PE, and that is on ebay.

Maybe getting them on BF is a different story, but I doubt you'll find any actually available at $70...

I'm personally planning to get at least one backup blue version, SE most likely. I love this knife. I'd certainly pick up one or two more from a spirit run...
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

spydutch wrote:Greetings you all :)
Since they're rather hard to come by, how much back up Dodo's will I need?
Arend, buy as many as you can find! :D :D
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Hey, funny I didn't hit this thread before, because, I just ordered one tonight that cost me $88; I would have paid a **** of alot more too. I will have 3 Dodos' when this one comes in. I would say, based on my experiance with this Awesome blade that you would only need one backup, simpley so you have time to sharpen the other.
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
JD Spydo

The Dodo should be good for 10 years plus easy

Post by JD Spydo »

I've got my one mainstay blue PE Dodo that I use here at the house mainly for packaging. I've had it since they were first released in late 2003. Mine has shown no signs at all of giving me any trouble.

However I have not had much of any trouble with Spyderco knife locks over a long period of time. I think a lot of this platter chatter you hear about certain locks failing in such a short time is a lot of jive. I've been carrying my C-44 big Dyad for very close to 3 years now and I haven't seen any clue of any lock failure at all. And keep in mind that I've used that knife a lot.

There's no argument that some locks are better than others because it's been proven in laboratory conditions. But the average knife user probably wouldn't damage one in a ten year time period.

I've had nothing but good luck with the very first Dodo I ever bought. I haven't had any signs of it possibly failing. But then again I don't do these ridiculous "spine wack" tests nor do I try to intentionally destroy the knife to be able to say that the lock was no good :rolleyes: In general usage with proper lubrication I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have that knife for 20 years. Certainly they will bring back the Dodo before then :D
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!