What's your story?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
eL_PeLaDiLLo

What's your story?

Post by eL_PeLaDiLLo »

Hello Spydie-fans!
I haven't posted a lot on the forum, but I'm trying to be more active in it. I just wanted to make this thread for all of you to share your experience on how you first got into Spyderco. This is my story:

I first heard about Spyderco back in Summer o6'. I was introduced to it by a close friend of mine, mr.vu. He told me he had been collecting knives. I was curious so I asked him more about it. He showed me his collection and gave me some lessons on the handles and steels. One afternoon I followed Vu to go get his collector's "S" that just came in from his local dealer. When I first saw the knife I was very intrigued by it. I told him, "This knife is nice." The looks, size and all, it just amazed me. Vu wanted to get me started, so when he saw how amused I was by the "S", he gave it to me. The "S" was the first knife I handled. It was like the perfect knife. After that, I went on and purchased an Endura 4. Soon, that became a favorite. I asked Vu about the collector's club and he explained to me what it was all about. Around October I joined the collector's club and became #196. This is my collection so far:
-Waved Delica 4
-Blue Dodo, SE
-S.P.O.T. Micarta, PE
-Big Persian
-Swick
-Native 1st Generation
-Native Black Blade, PE
-Lil' Temp Leaf Point S30V, PE
-Lil' Temp Trailing Point
-R2, PE
-2006 Forum Lava
Non-Spydies:
-Emerson SOCFK A
-Ontario Abaniko 5
-Ontario Abaniko 7
-SOG Micron I

Special Thanks to Ruth and Vu!

That's my story. What's yours?
"Live Life, Be Happy, No Worries..."
Tech a Billy

Post by Tech a Billy »

I first saw a Police model in some gun magazine back in the early 80's and thought that it looked cool but my baby at that time was a Gerber Folding Sportsman II with stag scales which was my EDC and I didn't need more than one good knife, I thought.(This was subsequently stolen from my hotel room while I was scuba diving in Bimini. I like to think about it sometimes as still being there, in a tropical paradise without me. But then I think of what the savages would have done to her. Oh well...)

Fast forward to vacation in August of 2002, at the Jekll & Hyde novelty store in Bar Harbor, Maine. They had a decent selection of knives and a friendly sales person who loved his job. We had a bunch of Benchmade and Spydies out on the counter and the Police (SS VG-10 PS) came home with me.

When I got home I found the Bladeforums site and, on Sept. 9th 2002, learned of the sale at Smokey Mountain Knife Works which offered Vieles', Ayoobs and Shabarias at about $45 each, Navigators and mini Dyads for $30 each, Caly Jr's $25 and Spydercards at $17. I got em' all and was off to the races, as they say.

Now I have over 80 Spydies (plus 2 Benchmades, 2 Sebenzas) and I hardly miss my old FS II at all. I wonder what she's doing now? :(
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Back when I was still a kid who liked knives, I managed to get my hands on an ATS-55 CE Endura. Because I knew nothing about knives, I had no idea what it was, but I liked it. I strayed away from knives for a while until I bought a ZDP-189 Caly Jr. Again, I had no idea what I had until I came here. It's been over a year now, and I don't think it's going to stop any time soon.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
eastr

Post by eastr »

I would like to know a little about the colletors club??? My story is my dad gave me a 1st gen delica when i was 16 lost my spydie bought anther lost it the frn clip would strech and off it would go into the wild blue. Gave up on spydies went to BM :o for years my dad showed me a manix and back to spydieville i came. Them he got me started on the forum and it was like tnt under a trash can i've been collecting like made ever since. :D :D
:spyder: rocks :cool:
"THE ROUGH RIDER”“FAR BETTER IT IS TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS..THAN TO TAKE RANK WITH THOSE POOR. TIMID SPIRITS WHO KNOW NEITHER VICTORY NOR DEFEAT.” THEODORE ROOSEVELT 1899
spyderco making mans oldest tool mans most advanced tool:spyder:
THE GREATSET POWER IS OFTEN SIMPLE PATIENECE
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
scout

Post by scout »

I was serving active duty in the Navy during the early 90's when my work supe showed me his new fully serrated Rescue with (I think) an orange handle. The next payday I went and purchased my first spydie, a serrated delica. It now resides at the bottom of San Diego harbor (pier 7). Many spydies followed and today I edc a plain edge Stretch sans rubber insert.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Have carried a pocket knife for over 50 years, but never gave them much more thought than I'd give a pen. Back in early '03 I was reading Hannibal, and came across a reference to Spyderco knives, out of curiousity, I Googled the name, found BladeForums, and got hooked.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mr.vu

Post by mr.vu »

:eek: I've created a :spyder: monster! I say you need you need some more fixed blades. *cough*Street Beat*cough*

I started off buying cheap knives. I wasn't satisfied with them and sold them all. A good coworker of mine mentioned some high quality knife companies. Spyderco was one of them. I checked out the catalog and liked the Military and bought one online. Then the rest came. :D

Vu
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Cool topic... I migrated to Spyderco from some other high end knife companies. Started out with Gerber and Kershaw, moved up to Cold Steel and Benchmade, picked up some Ka-Bar, Busse, and a single Emerson along the way. Then one fateful day I bought a Dragonfly, lost it the same day, bought an Endura, and never looked back :D My spydie collection is somewhat sparse compared to some other members... but I currently own that old Endura, a Delica, a Police (my favorite), a Spyderfly, theoretically a Szabofly (it's paid for, it just hasn't been delivered due to those production setbacks), a scorpius, a native, a crossbill, and a harpy (my newest acquisition).
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I was interested in knives as long as I could remember, and as soon as I started looking at more "high end" catalogs, spyderco knives always seemed to catch my eye.

Just 6 months ago I thought I'd finally give them a chance and bought a used ladybug off of ebay. I actually thought it was going to be the size of a delica, but when I started using it, I was hooked.
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

When my brother was in the army, some time between '88 and '92, he brought home a serrated Delica and showed it to me. I liked knives at the time, but being a high school student, it wasn't like I had a "collection." I carried a Buck Gent (a very small stainless lockback) and had one or two other knives.

I remember feeling a sort of contempt or scorn for the silly looking Delica. I thought it was the ugliest designed knife I had ever seen or could ever imagine.

Time went by, I don't know how much. I think I finally -- inexplicably -- "came around." I think it was in '93 when I went to a local flea market that had a booth called "Genuine Issue." Annie was the owner; she sold all kinds of knives, ninja junk (blowguns, nunchucks, etc.) and related mall-ninja gear. She carried a small number of Spydercos, and so I bought a 60/40 serrated Delica.

Now I own a handful of Spydercos, perhaps 10-15, among them Military, ParaMilitary, Delicas, Swick, Salt, Walker Lightweight, Moran Featherweight... I love Spyderco now. It just took some getting used to.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

I've like knives since Jr. High school, i think my 1st folding knife purchase was a Schrade Uncle Henry Bear Paw lockback back in the day.....I scored a Delica/Rescue w/ integral FRN clip at some gun show back in the late 1980's but didn't become a spyderholic til I bought a Native3 CE back around winter 2004 and I've been hooked since! i'd say Spydies are 85% of my knife collection.... ;) :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

When I started to really collecting knives I first bought CRKT and FOX.

Back then I found Spyderco ugly knives costing way too much.

Until, out of curiosity, I bought a Salt I soon followed by a Native III/SE, Scorpious/SE, Assist II, SS Police, Military, Para Military another SS Police, FRN Delica III, FRN Endura III...... :eek:

Well, I think you get the picture here :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p