Big Blades: I'd like your experiences and opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
butch

Post by butch »

bout the only thing i can say is for me it would be a truck/bug out blade
i have most days a largeish and small spyder on me and i would need somethign to work as a light axe/shelter tool as any smaller task would go to the pocket knives
more like and insurance (get me back home /out of here) blade then anything i would use even every few weeks
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
Qship

Post by Qship »

You might try prying open an ammunition crate, digging a hole in the ground, opening a can of beans, and cutting through metal sheet to approximate escaping from a gunship that has gone down on the door. People in the field use what they have to do what they need done. It's a serious test of a knife.

Qship
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Ed Schempp wrote:Do you think that the traditional moist and rolled bamboo mat would be a measure of brush cutting ability?

The challenge is to be able to give many competitors an equal test....Take Care...Ed
yea -- that sounds like a good idea to me, ed...!!!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Qship wrote:You might try prying open an ammunition crate, digging a hole in the ground, opening a can of beans, and cutting through metal sheet to approximate escaping from a gunship that has gone down on the door. People in the field use what they have to do what they need done. It's a serious test of a knife.

Qship
i like this idea...

used to use my manix to open HEAVY, commercial-grade steel cans of food.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

[quote="Ed Schempp"]Candidly, flesh and bone are not really a challenge]

My real world experience with big knives (6+ inch bladelength) consists of cutting meat for 8 hrs a day on the weekend. I worked as a butcher after (high)school and college) for several years. Cutting flesh may not be a challenge in itself....but try doing it with wet (from fluids, sinews and meat particles) and frigid cold hands from working in a cooler! :D You know, a butcher type task could be something -just brainstorming here-. Dunk your hands in a bucket of ice for a minute or so, and then dissect a piece of medium-processed meat into different parts to get to the part for steaks. It's a balance of good handle ergos, controllability and fine point work to finish with broad cuts. Not much of a challenge for edgeholding though, nor is it much of a crowd pleaser.

The knives we liked best were those with synthetic handles, they were lighter and the handle material was less cold and more grippy to the touch.

Wouter

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram