Sal - what's with Spyderco customer service department?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blacksmithtech

Sal - what's with Spyderco customer service department?

Post by blacksmithtech »

I am a long time lurker, first time poster.

I must be the only guy having issues with Spyderco customer service.

The last time I sent my old Endura in for tip repair and sharpening it came back scratched up and in worse shape than when I sent it in.

This caused me to get a Sharpmaker (maybe that was the plan!)

My big problem is getting a couple of clips for my knifes that broke off. These are the older Endura's with the molded clip. I have asked to purchase a replacement screw-on clip and since Sept 06 and not received any contact.

Is anyone else confused by customer service or is it just me?

I still love 'em and carry every day - just need some help here.

Take care - Mike
What is left when honor is lost? - Publilius Syrus, Maxims
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

Mike,

This is quite an issue for your first post; especially directed right to Sal!

I'm sorry that the W&R department is confusing you. I know that lately they have been extremely busy, but if you haven't heard anything since Sept '06, you may want to initiate contact again yourself.

One of the problems may be that breaking a molded clip is more of a "customer-initiated problem" (for lack of better words). It's not a manufacturing problem caused by Spyderco, and therefore it may not be fixable. I don't honestly know. I'm just having trouble seeing how you could replace the broken molded clip with a new one. Unless you tried to follow up with Spyderco, you may not have gotten a response for that very reason. I know you said you tried to purchase these clips, but it may not be possible.

About your Endura coming back scratched and in worse shape than when you sent it it, I just find that hard to believe. Spyderco's people know what they are doing. I have a very difficult time believing that Spyderco would send a knife back in worse shape than it was to begin with.

Personally, I am very, very pleased with Spyderco's customer service and W&R. Currently, they have my Lil Temp. Even with the recent blizzards and holidays, they have sent me several messages regarding my knife's status. Of course, it has taken longer to get back due to the blizzards and holidays, but Spyderco has still kept me informed every step of the way, and even apologized for the longer wait due to the aforementioned reasons.

I think the best course of action would be for you to get on the phone and call Spyderco, and simply ask them about the clips, and find out if they can help you. I'm sure they will be more than willing to give you the answers you need. Plus, it would be much faster then waiting for a response to your thread.

I just feel like your thread title is insinuating that Spyderco's customer service is not up to par, and I must beg to differ. I think Spyderco has the BEST customer service available in the knife world, and that is why I am a loyal Spyderco fan.

:spyder:

Enjoy your stay here. I'm not trying to come across like a jerk, but I think Spyderco does an excellent job. Maybe you didn't mean to imply what your thread title states, but that's how I took it.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
s11ews

Post by s11ews »

blacksmithtech wrote:I am a long time lurker, first time poster.

I must be the only guy having issues with Spyderco customer service.

The last time I sent my old Endura in for tip repair and sharpening it came back scratched up and in worse shape than when I sent it in.

This caused me to get a Sharpmaker (maybe that was the plan!)

My big problem is getting a couple of clips for my knifes that broke off. These are the older Endura's with the molded clip. I have asked to purchase a replacement screw-on clip and since Sept 06 and not received any contact.

Is anyone else confused by customer service or is it just me?

I still love 'em and carry every day - just need some help here.

Take care - Mike
i have to say straight away that i completly disagree with what you have just put in your post as all i have ever recieved from sal & co is the best possible customer service i could hope for, i had to send off my paramilie a few months back for a new liner to be fitted as the lock had worn out and it came back perfect, they even sharpened it and gave me a catalogue :D

if i have a problem with another :spyder: knife i would not hesitate to speak to spyderco as i know that i will recieve a warm and friendly greeting on the other end of the line speaking only helpful words. I work in a retail enviroment over here in england and i know an **** of a lot about customer service within company's, i have to say that spydies service is the best i have come across, period!!!

if your having problems with your knife i suggest phoning up warranty and repair and i am sure that they will go out of there way to help you as best they can

please keep posting as i'm sure we would all love to hear what is going on with your knife and how they see that your happy

hope this post finds you all well

sam :cool:
eL_PeLaDiLLo

Post by eL_PeLaDiLLo »

Well, back on December 15th, 2006. I requested some screws for my G-10 Cara Cara clip. On that same day they replied to me with this:
"Sir,
I just received them.
I will send them out today.

Thank you,
Terry Trahan
Spyderco Customer Service
"
At first, I was like wow that was quick this is great, because last time I requested screws for my Lil' Temp it didn't come in till about 4 weeks. So with that in mind, I expect the screws to take about 1 week to come in. It didn't come in. Now, a month after I sent them an e-mail about it and they replied with this:
"Hello Sir,
The screws that we received were not the right
ones for your knife. We have placed an order for
the proper ones. I will check to see the staus of them.
Thank you for your patience.

Thank you,
Terry Trahan
Spyderco Customer Service
"
Now, I know Spyderco gets really busy, but they told me they sent it out. And if I didn't e-mail them I don't know when they would've told me they got the wrong screws.
"Live Life, Be Happy, No Worries..."
Terry Trahan

Post by Terry Trahan »

Sir,
Since I was the one who emailed you, I will try to explain.
As we were packing the orders, we discovered that the screws did not fit.
We placed an order, and will ship them once they get here.
I did not have your email address, since we already placed your order, I
had deleted it after filling out the request.
We try to fill orders as fast as possible, but some things can take longer.
I apologize, and we do our best, and will fill all of them as soon as we can.
Thanks, Terry

There are no Tactical Knives, just Tactical Minds.
( Fred Perrin)
eL_PeLaDiLLo

Post by eL_PeLaDiLLo »

Thanks. I understand completely. I was not mad or anything.
"Live Life, Be Happy, No Worries..."
eljay

Post by eljay »

Terry Trahan wrote:Sir,
I did not have your email address, since we already placed your order, I
had deleted it after filling out the request.
That does rather hint at a process improvement - I hope now you're filing them instead of deleting them. Disk space is a lot cheaper than a cranky customer.
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Blacksmithtech, I don't think will be able to get screw on clips for your Endura. They don't make clips designed to replace the FRN clips (though they could have at least said that. The lack of communication is confusing). If you wanted, you could attempt to make your own barrel-bolt system, but it may serve you better to just get a new knife. As for the condition of the knife you recieved, I have never heard of that happening. Did you inform the W&R department about the condition?
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
blacksmithtech

Post by blacksmithtech »

I knew I was going to get flamed for ever saying anything other than praise about Spyderco so I'm not offended or surprised.

Let me start by saying I'm a huge Syderco fan and when anybody asks me about knives I always recommend Spyderco.

I own 15 of the old Endura's - As a firefighter I am rough on them and a couple of the molded clips have broken. I sent them in and Spyderco ground off the old remaining FRN clip and used self-tapping screws to secure a metal clip. This has proven very reliable and I have had no failures in over 10 years of constant use.

On one occasion I asked if they could repair the tip and re-sharpen. It came back with streaks on the finish and a letter saying how I shouldn't let my knife get so dull. Sounded kind of cranky to me -

Looking in the drawer here I have 2 old school Police Models, 15 G2 Enduras, 2 Spydercards, 1 Harpy ATS-55, 2 Rescues, 3 Militarys, 1 with laser engraving, 5 Crickets -1 in SS, 1 Alum,

I have a few others but not Spydies -

I did try a couple of emails to cust service and had not received any word back till I resent the last one from Sept and Terry said she would forward. That was a week ago and no answer.

It is very impressive that so many rushed forward to defend Spyderco and that says a lot about the company and it's customers. Please do not take this as a personal attack.

I am trying to purchase these clips not beg for a freebie or handout.

Take care all - I enjoy this forum and the discussions
Hannibal Lecter

Thoughts...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Friend,
blacksmithtech wrote:I did try a couple of emails to cust service and had not received any word back till I resent the last one from Sept and Terry said she would forward.
Don't sweat it. Terry (a HE, by the way :p ) only recently took over the job in customer service and is continuing to improve things there. Be patient and I can personally assure you he will take the best of care of your issues.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
blacksmithtech

Post by blacksmithtech »

My apologies for assuming gender - no disrespect intended.
docboy

Post by docboy »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:Don't sweat it. Terry (a HE, by the way :p )
Is it sad that I first didn't register the word "he" and instead thought of "H-something Edge?" Is it even sadder that my second guess was "Herrated Edge?" :p :D :D
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

It is easy in the digital age to forget that a phone call, that allows real time back and forth communication, is the best choice for customer service concerns. Since a phone call may require waiting on hold, (really not that big a deal for an internet user...just surf until they pick up) many people forgo that option for the much easier email option. Often a concerned customer may even email 5-6 times a day since they don't get instant replies. Call them on the phone.

Oh and Blacksmithtech, give me a break. You haven't seen any flame. Since your first post, you had two people disagree with you...politely, then one person agree with you via opening up his own gripe. Then you had the man responsible chime in to explain to that member why he wasn't recontacted. Then that member thanked Terry for the info. After that you had someone offer some criticism to Terry on how to run his email. Following that we had a fellow offer that what you are hoping for may not work...also politely.

Now we get back to you playing the part of the innocent man who expects to be hanged. No one flamed you. Only two people disagreed with you... At first you appeared to just be someone who forgot how to use the phone, but based on your barbed comments I have to wonder what you are up to.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
blacksmithtech

Post by blacksmithtech »

Zenheretic - How fortunate for this forum to have your special insight available.

I suppose your comment is about the most inflammatory and personal so far. Thank you for your example

"What I'm up to"? I'm a guy who paid the dough for a knife and is trying to buy a part and after a couple of months of trying got frustrated. That pretty much sums it up.

Hope I am not offending anyone - Take care
Hannibal Lecter

Ahem...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Friend,
blacksmithtech wrote:My apologies for assuming gender - no disrespect intended.
That was not my implication. :D I just thought you would want to know.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
01dlx

Post by 01dlx »

Spyderco customer service is in my opinion OUTSTANDING , so good in fact I bought nine more knives :D

The customer service I received made me a customer for life .
ront

Post by ront »

Hi Mike,
Just try and contact Spyderco again. I can understand your frustration, but you are not their only customer. They will help you out if they can. Spyderco's CS is very good as I have also used it and was very happy.
BTW, your statement, "I knew I was going to get flamed for ever saying anything other than praise about Spyderco so I'm not offended or surprised", I believe is totally out of line here. We are not a bunch of Spyderco fan boys here. If we have a problem, we talk about it. Stick around a bit and you will see this.
Welcome to the boards also BTW, Ron
Slick

Post by Slick »

blacksmithtech:

Take a chill-pill and call them in the morning. If you don't get a suitable result in reasonable time feel free to say so here. My first and only contact with W/R was a useless experience. It was a minor problem and easily worked around. Many here rave about Spyderco W/R so we may be exceptions. Your problem doesn't seem so minor...

Please keep us informed.
Terry Trahan

Post by Terry Trahan »

In any case where two people are trying
to communicate, there is a possibility of miscommunication,
or misunderstanding.
We always strive to do better.
Thanks, Terry

There are no Tactical Knives, just Tactical Minds.
( Fred Perrin)
CWO

Post by CWO »

Firefighter880 wrote:Mike,

About your Endura coming back scratched and in worse shape than when you sent it it, I just find that hard to believe. Spyderco's people know what they are doing. I have a very difficult time believing that Spyderco would send a knife back in worse shape than it was to begin with.
Your conclusion that what the OP stated is false or misrepresented just because your experience differs borders on rudeness and does nothing constructive to address his concern. I haven't seen his knife or know him but I'll offer him the basic respect to listen to his concern.

I extend my thanks to those several posters that encouraged him to contact Spderco and work around these issues.

CWO