Jot Singh Khalsa problem, need opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
griff76

Jot Singh Khalsa problem, need opinions

Post by griff76 »

Well, here's my problem:

I have a heavily used (not abused) old SE Jot Singh Khalsa. Recently I pulled it out of my Spyderco drawer after being out of the rotation for a week or two and discovered that the blade was cracked on the hole :eek: .(See pic below). I was quite distressed to say the least. I e-mailed W & R and they told me to send it in and that they would credit me the original MSRP ($184.99, correct me if I'm wrong). They cannot fix it as it has been out of production for so long. I am on a fixed budget and any chance to get a new spyderco is very welcomed. I love this knife and will miss it dearly if I put it to rest. I have also been drooling over several new knives recently ie: Captain.
Could I have it fixed by a jewler? Has anyone fixed a similar problem before?
Should I kiss it goodbye and welcome a new replacement?
PS, sorry the pic quality is so poor. Your input is appreciated.
Attachments
100_2763.jpg
100_2763.jpg (84.04 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

The only way I know to fix it is with a TIG welder and it would still be brittle.
I would send it in and take the credit.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The big question for me would be: "Can I afford to retire it?". I don't think it can be fixed in any way, that leaves you with a Jot that's "as good as new". If you're attached to the knife, retire it with honor and save up for a new design. If you just really like how the knife performs, then go for the W&R option that might get you credit for a new knife. There's a lot of fine choices to choose from; the Mini Persian might be something for you. Like the Jot it has a Micarta handle and an outspoken ethnich design.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

There is definately no easy way to fix that. Welding stainless steel is really difficult, and you would definately need to retemper afterwards. It dosen't look like it's completely unusable though.

I would vote to take the money and go for the captain or maybe a caly 3 (it looks like it could be a similar replacement, if that's what you want).
ronin203

Post by ronin203 »

It's really a shame it happened to such a great knife, but I agree, thats not a easy fix. If you really like it that much you should just retire it. :spyder:
if you find yourself in a fair fight, you did'nt prepare well enough. .." Hock Hochiem"..:spyder: " An object at rest cannot be stopped". The evil bomber what bombs at midnight. ;) :spyder: :spyder:
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

Hi There
how about a "wave' type modification????
Phil
JD Spydo

There's more of them out there

Post by JD Spydo »

Just go ahead and send it in for what they offered you. You won't go wrong doing that.

The Khalsa does show up on Ebay on a pretty regular basis. I just bid on one a week or so ago. I think that there is a serrated version up there now. The Khalsa is one knife that I traded away regretfully. I have had either 5 or 6 of them total and they are one heck of a conversation piece.

Just be patient and wait because believe it or not there are a lot of people who don't like the Khalsa and if you get on Bladeforums you will either have a buy or trade opportunity to get another one soon.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!