Is it safe to carry tip-down liner locks IWB?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
alguidar

Is it safe to carry tip-down liner locks IWB?

Post by alguidar »

I sometimes wear a Yojimbo (tip-up) IWB -in the small of the back- when jogging or cycling.
I wouldn't worry about a tip-down lockback like the Endura opening in this situation, but liner locks like the Yo take very little force for the blade to open the initial inch.
Should I worry about the movement when running accidentaly opening the blade and me getting stabbed in the *** by the Yo's sharp tip?
The Paramilly worries me less since it's a tip-down and also needs a little more force to open than my Yo.
swingshot

Post by swingshot »

alguidar wrote: Should I worry about the movement when running accidentaly opening the blade and me getting stabbed in the *** by the Yo's sharp tip?

How about Kydex?
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

My Yo is currently on the way, so not much help here....

However, I do recall Axlis posting a thread about something like this with a Yo coming open and slicing him pretty good when he wore it IWB. Think he had to go get stitches even.... I'll see if I can find a link, but I bet if you do a search for Axlis Yojimbo you can find it.

:spyder:
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

There have been quite a few online reported incidents of tip-up linerlocks opening by themselves. Personally, I haven't had the 'pleasure' yet, and I'm a devoted tip-up IWB carrier. Then again, there haven't been too many tip-up linerlocks in recent years.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
PSU

Post by PSU »

I often carry the Yojimbo IWB and I have never experienced a problem. Obviously, you just have to make sure that the pivot is not too loose.

Initially, the pivot of my Yojimbo was rather loose and the blade would open with little force. This was good for fast/effortless openings but I wasn't confident about keeping it closed in my pocket. I simply tightened the pivot slightly and now it feels very secure in the closed position. Find the right pivot tightness and you shouldn't have any inadvertent openings.
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I am a tip up IWB, no problems.
alguidar

Post by alguidar »

That's what I imagined. The tip-up blade, loose pivot screw and liner lock can be a bad combo. I'm gonna tighten the pivot screw on the Yo a little.
I never considered a Kydex sheat, but the concept doesn't appeal to me much.

I notice there's some resistance in the first degrees of the opening of the Yo and Paramilly, but I don't know where this resistance comes from since liner locks don't have a spring like lockbacks. I guess the blade somehow interlocks slightly with the stop pin when fully closed.

BTW, just re-read my own post and saw that I managed to completely switch the blade configurations. To correct myself:
Yo -> tip-up, no choice
Para -> tip-down, no choice
Endura -> comes tip-up from :spyder: co, but I switched mine to tip-down

Thanks for the imput, people. :)
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

hi alguidar,
mostly semantics but the Yojimbo is technically considered a Compression Lock...
the aggressive jimping on the spine of the Yo can create enough friction upon withdrawing the knife from waist or pocket (acting like a wave of sorts).....so be careful! :eek: ;)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

[quote="jaislandboy"]hi alguidar,
mostly semantics but the Yojimbo is technically considered a Compression Lock...
the aggressive jimping on the spine of the Yo can create enough friction upon withdrawing the knife from waist or pocket (acting like a wave of sorts).....so be careful! :eek: ]

What Ja said..it has happened to me in the IWB carry...now I only carry it tip up inside the right hand pocket blade facing the pocket seam...and even there it bit me a little once...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Episteme

Post by Episteme »

I own a few non-lockbacks (liner locks, axis locks, compression locks), and I would say that I would be leary of wearing any liner lock, axis lock or compression lock IWB tip-up. I have had a benchmade axis lock knife open inadvertantly while IWB, and that sort of position (tip-up) will lend itself well to stabbing the owner either in the waist or in the hand when he or she draws the knife. Personally, I would stay away from tip-up IWB carry of liner locks, axis locks, or compression locks just to be safe. If pockets are unavailable, then perhaps a kydex sheath IWB, neck carry, or even ankle carry will be the optimal and safest method of carry.
-Mike
"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me." -Immanuel Kant

"I do not worry about what will happen; only what needs to be done". -Lucious Hunt, "The Village"
bigcat

Post by bigcat »

To be safe from cutting yourself accidently........NO!!!!!

BigCat
"The Power that made the body, Heals the body."
denn

Post by denn »

i don't get it. whether IWB or ITP (in the pocket), tip-down is ALWAYS safer than tip-up, simple mechanics 101

don't worry about it

denn
Th232

Post by Th232 »

denn wrote:i don't get it. whether IWB or ITP (in the pocket), tip-down is ALWAYS safer than tip-up, simple mechanics 101

don't worry about it

denn
Sorry if this is slightly OT, but I'm a little confused. With tip up in my pocket, the spine of the blade is pushed up against the rear seam of my pocket, how is this less safe than having it tip-down?

As for carrying it IWB, on the rare occasion when I do, I carry it tip-up, but that's because I usually carry it in my pocket, and I can't be bothered to switch it :o . Bad excuse, I know.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

alguidar

Post by alguidar »

denn wrote:i don't get it. whether IWB or ITP (in the pocket), tip-down is ALWAYS safer than tip-up, simple mechanics 101

don't worry about it

denn
I guess I better edit my original post, to prevent further confusion. :o
The Yojimbo is obviously tip-UP only, and that's part of the problem. Not a tip-down like the original post and title thread said.
cdf

Post by cdf »

Most liners are being held closed with a ball detent , wear can change relationships , balls are swaged or staked in and have popped out . In liners , particularly if carried IWB , tip down is preferable . I have cut myself badly on a liner that crept open - a Benchmade/Crawford Leopard carried unclipped and tip up in a pocket . As far as I'm concerned , liners should be either tip down or jammed against the pocket seam . I regularly carry a Milie ( tip down ) IWB , without any concerns . I do monitor things like pivot tension and detent status pretty carefully .

Chris
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

don't worry about it

denn
:spyder: You opine as if you were speaking fact. I'd rather cut myself putting my hand into my pocket rather than pulling it out. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

i definitely would NOT carry a yojimbo iwb in the back of my trousers. i am very fond of these knives but have been seriously bitten on two occasions. you would be amazed at how much damage the tip of the yojimbo can cause with only light pressure.

mine rides in the right front pocket or in a "river city" neck sheath when the right front pocket is not an option.