Tasman Salt Longevity

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zac

Tasman Salt Longevity

Post by Zac »

Introduction
So back in July I posed a few questions on the Tasman...the most important being will when used in water will it harm fish?
The answer is no; this metal does not give off any contaminations to hurt fish.

Scenario:
In July, my good friend bought a Yellow Tasman Salt SE from me. He works at a saltwater fish shop 45+ hours a week. This become his primary work knife and the knife that would be used INSIDE the tanks. Additionally, the knife was pounded by humidity, usage by others not trained with proper knife usage, being dropped countless times and scraping.

6 Months Later:
The knife was not sharpened with a Sharpmaker during this time and when it came back, it was dull as dirt as he is not good at sharpening serrated hawkbills. The yellow handle was gray from all of the dead skin cells caked inside the FRN handle and it was discolored from the chemicals used at his store. The tip had at most 1/8th of it broken off. The knife was scratched up badly and the clip was missing at least half of its paint. The locking mechanism was still intact, blade play was minimal, and there was no rust on the blade or any other metal components.

The Refurbishment:
First an abrasive cleaner was applied and rubbed into the FRN. It became as yellow as the day it was bought. Then I freehanded the tip which took at most 15 minutes. Some Metal Glo made the scratches go away. Strokes on the SharpMaker made this sharp as can be again on a 30 degree bevel.

Overall:
This is one tough knife for about 50 bucks and is the IDEAL MARINE KNIFE! :D
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
eastr

Post by eastr »

vey cool story i've had my tasman about three weeks and it is great not used in water but in the weather i work outside used to open about all my chrismas . got my first love bite from that dude tonight ouch even did it while cleaning the blade duh!!!!! watch out for the curve. :eek:
:spyder: rocks :cool:
"THE ROUGH RIDER”“FAR BETTER IT IS TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS..THAN TO TAKE RANK WITH THOSE POOR. TIMID SPIRITS WHO KNOW NEITHER VICTORY NOR DEFEAT.” THEODORE ROOSEVELT 1899
spyderco making mans oldest tool mans most advanced tool:spyder:
THE GREATSET POWER IS OFTEN SIMPLE PATIENECE
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Zac wrote:...The yellow handle was gray from all of the dead skin cells caked inside the FRN handle ...
..... :eek: :p :eek:

heheh Good story Zac!
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Great story, I would have loved a picture or two.
But thanks anyway.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

The black Tasman/SE is my favourite working knife :cool:

When it starts to get dull during a shift, a few strokes against my jeans is enough to make it usable sharp again. Once home 5 minutes on the sharpmaker is enough to make it shaving sharp again.

Most of the time the knife is covered with my sweat :eek: and no signs of rust yet.
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Zac

Post by Zac »

I was planning to take pictures but I forgot and already cleaned her up...a picture now looks like a new Tasman with a Reeve Style Lanyard :p
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

Thanks for feedback from the field. Zac, it sounds as though your friend's knife experienced more than hard use and stood up to the test. I don't have a knife in H-1 yet, but this review is such a strong endorsement, I'll have to get one.
EarthDog
Zac

Post by Zac »

I'de definitely recommend it...especially with guys saying they can sharpen blades on porcelain coffee cups!
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

Agreed - many thx for that kind of feedback. I don't push my blades anywhere close to that hard consistently, so it's really nice to know that kind of info. I know that some of my uses with my folders doing reno work on revenue properites has bordered on, if not crossed the line on abuse, but it's not consistent use either :)

- gord
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

that is a great story. thanks for posting.

why not polish that titanium clip?
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
mr.vu

Post by mr.vu »

Man, I've been waiting to hear this update. I can't believe I missed it. Great post Zac!

Vu
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi Zac - great story, thanks for sharing. I know the H-1 steel and I trust its qualities. these knives are the best BANG for your BUCK!
If people only could forget their biased opinions and start USING their H-1 knives.....

Jurphaas :)
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Zac

Post by Zac »

Why people hold the bias may be the long standing concept that a knife cannot have a good edge retention without being a carbon based steel...H1 when made properly proves this (once fact, now myth) wrong. It is also showing to have good impact resistance as those I have distributed these to have them hit against rocks and are dropped all the time.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I have the black pe Tasman and I absolutely love it. It has hardly left my pocket since the day I opened the box several months ago.