Military Failure

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bluntrauma

Military Failure

Post by Bluntrauma »

I just found this while looking around for Spyderco video clips. I'm wondering why the lock failed so easily. Do you think it was abused or perhaps a factory defect? It seemed to have an awful lot of play before he started whacking. Just curious.

Perhaps it was a plug for CRKT. I think the knife he tested after that one looked like an M16. Not for sure though.

Thoughts?

http://www.zippyvideos.com/7479535305996276/pict0020/
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

The problem here is that the Millie has a lot of play between the blade and the liner.
This makes it easy for the blade to push the liner aside.
I'v seen one like this before and that was an older model with a concentric pivot.
The language in the movie is Dutch so it's possibly the same.
I do not believe this is to badmouth the knife but to show the problem in order to get it fixed.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Hey thanks for weighing in. I wasn't sure if it was to promo another knife or just an honest concern. It wasn't like I could understand him. :)
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
denn

Post by denn »

Piet.S wrote:The problem here is that the Millie has a lot of play between the blade and the liner.
This makes it easy for the blade to push the liner aside.
I'v seen one like this before and that was an older model with a concentric pivot.
The language in the movie is Dutch so it's possibly the same.
I do not believe this is to badmouth the knife but to show the problem in order to get it fixed.
yup, way too much space between blade and liner. whether they screwed up the eccentric pivot setting or by a factory defect/lemon (it WAS an issue on some of the early ats34/440v-models.....) that liner come nowhere near the kick of the blade

also the liner bended way too much to the right, which a) shows that the play is indeed too much, or b) they mangled up the liner

yeah, sure that M16 ain't gonna fail the spine-whack. it's got a LAWKS lock for the liner....... :rolleyes:

bunch of dumbasses in that vid.......

denn
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

How common is this issue? I've been considering getting a Mili for my next knife, but if this is too common, I'll have to look elsewhere.
denn

Post by denn »

on the recent models (say 2001 until now: not common at all.

on the older ats-34 and cpm440v's you might find a lemon or two when it comes to the liner. i had to adjust the pivot of my 440v'er as well, but it's an easy fix, and it's rock-solid now.

don't worry about it

denn
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

had an older 440v abused for 3+ years by vampyrewolf and myself, used to throw it at trees -- HARD -- don't ever recall any problems with the lock... :D
denn

Post by denn »

my cpm440v'er only needed minor adjustment to the ecc. pivot

the one in the video is a really bad lemon :eek: . they didn't even have to 'whack' it, just tapping it did the trick. that mili was just plain bad, or tampered with. never heard nor seen it that bad

i think this video is best to be forgotten ASAP. questionable at the very least

denn
arnon

Post by arnon »

denn wrote: bunch of dumbasses in that vid.......

denn
What's up with you??? :eek:
Arnon
denn

Post by denn »

whaddaya mean? those dudes in the video are dumbasses, period.

they think they made a great video to show how "bad" the military was. but they never bothered to see the obvious: that Mili needs serious work, and that M16 in no comparison because they engaged the LAWKS liner-lock-locker

they're just dumbasses :)
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

denn wrote:whaddaya mean? those dudes in the video are dumbasses, period.

they think they made a great video to show how "bad" the military was. but they never bothered to see the obvious: that Mili needs serious work, and that M16 in no comparison because they engaged the LAWKS liner-lock-locker

Since I can't understand a word they're saying, I wouldn't be able to tell if that is their true intention. I'm sure they might be dumbasses. They may also be ignorant, but sincerely concerned knife users.

Thanks for the reassurance on the Mili Denn.
arnon

Post by arnon »

denn wrote:whaddaya mean? those dudes in the video are dumbasses, period...........
:rolleyes:
denn

Post by denn »

comparing a totally liner-crippled Millie to an M16 with Lawks-slider is just not fair, and makes no statement whatsoever. it doesn't make sense, nor does it 'prove' anything

if they'd showed only the Millie to show the 'whack'-failure, i'd understand the point of the video

they're simply comparing apples and oranges

don't mess with the Millie! :D

denn
Tom v S

Post by Tom v S »

That is my military, and it is my CRKT M16, mather of fact, its also my D4 lying on the table.
This movie was made to show the problem I had with my Military in 440V. I asked the question on http://www.weapons.be, and Piet S. asked it on this forum for me:

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23881

http://forum.weapons.be/showthread.php? ... genumber=2

They told me about the concentric pivot, and after playing with that thing, the problem was fixed. Didn't fail spinewacks since.

I did some spinewacks with the M16 to show how much force was used on the Mili, and to show that it wasn't fake or something. There was no LAWKS used when spinewacking.This movie was not made to show how bad the Mili was. In fact, the Military is my favorite knife! You can see some pics of the same one here on the forum.

So Denn, don't call me a Dumb *** if you don't know what was the problem. Would appreciate that :)
denn

Post by denn »

awww, crap. i'm so sorry i called you and Piet dumbasses.......:footin mouth smiley:.........sorry guys, i got the wrong impression :o

one of my famous oh-no-posts to add to my impulsivity-list...... :o :(

my sincere apologies guys.....

denn
redhawk44p

Post by redhawk44p »

I can understand your zeal in protecting the Mili Denn. It is one of my pets too. I know the guys understand the D.A comment being Spydie men.
denn

Post by denn »

sure hope so, feel like a total dumbass myself right now. crap! :(

i'm gonna hit the sack, nighty night everyone! ;)

denn
Zac

Post by Zac »

The tang is moving too far over on lockup.
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Glad you got it fixed Tom, bet it makes a good user.

Hey Dennis, I wasn't on the vid, no apologies needed here.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Tom v S

Post by Tom v S »

It's alright Denn :) I can understand that you want to protect the almighty Military. The people at Spyderco are just human, so sometimes it can go wrong. I never heard of the same problem, searched for others with the same problem for a while, but nobody had seen this failure on a Mili it before...

Merry Xmas guys!