A Fred Perrin Street beat pic...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ted

A Fred Perrin Street beat pic...

Post by Ted »

Hadn't had a chance to make some pics for a long time, too busy with work and study, but with the kids to the day-care centre, the wife out to work, and a full day off for myself, I thought I could make a nice one of the Fred Perrin Street Beat that I got recently..
Great blade, and lovely micarta! The bigger Perrin should have had micarta scales also!

Chucula

Post by Chucula »

oo very nice! reminds me of the lum tanto fb in terms of high quality. thanks for the pics.

we need a drooling smilie face! :D
buferoe

Post by buferoe »

Hi Ted,

why do you do that? :mad: Taking such nice pictures. :p
Now the Streetbeat is my favorite number one to get next year.

thanks for the nice pictures........as always.

kind regards,

Werner
The only good knive is my sharp Spyderco........
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I've noticed that this knife and all four of the new Hossom's have a hole near the base of the blade (I believe they call is a 'wrist lanyard' hole). Can someone diagram (or better yet, photograph) this in use??? I guess, in my mind, I'm seeing a loop lanyard with a ring through the hole and the loop around the wrist.... but to what end???

Thanks!

Ken
玉鋼
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

I don't think I'd want any :spyder: dangling around open bladed on my wrist.

Nice pics :)
elt1

Post by elt1 »

Wicked photos Ted! I was handling mine yesterday and decided to go with a different sheath option than the factory one. Already have a few scratches on it from the kydex... thinking about leather but Mike S's sheaths look really good. (I'm not affiliated with Sastre's sheaths just like the look of them ;) )
What do you think of the sheath and will your SB be a user or collector?
Hodie piaculum cras suspectus.
"Todays victim, tomorrows suspect."
munchs

Post by munchs »

I should get one of those for my poor fixed blade collection.
Thanks for the pic. It's lovely!
Ted

Post by Ted »

About the 'forward lanyard hole', I made some picture to illustrate what I know of it's usage.

With a normal lanyard, when you let go of the knife, it swings to your body.

With the forward lanyard hole, the knife "sort of" stays were it is.

Ted

Post by Ted »

[quote="elt1"]Wicked photos Ted! I was handling mine yesterday and decided to go with a different sheath option than the factory one. Already have a few scratches on it from the kydex... thinking about leather but Mike S's sheaths look really good. (I'm not affiliated with Sastre's sheaths just like the look of them ]

Hi Elt, thanks. I think I'm gonna try to make my own leather sheath for this one. I'm planning to get some stuff from http://www.brisa.fi.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Thanks Ted, that was kinda what I'd envisioned but the great photos help so much.

Ken
玉鋼
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Seems like a trademark hole to me. Will there be any more of these available to the general knife buying public or is it an elite thing? :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
ronin203

Post by ronin203 »

Thanks for the photos, thats definitely on my wish list. I love my street bowie. :spyder: :cool:
if you find yourself in a fair fight, you did'nt prepare well enough. .." Hock Hochiem"..:spyder: " An object at rest cannot be stopped". The evil bomber what bombs at midnight. ;) :spyder: :spyder:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

That's a trademark hole for sure....On certain double edged weapons, when one is sharpened for defense and the other blade for utility...a small hole would be used so a Soldier could tell in total darkness which blade was which...but this is not the case on these knives a good example of what I'm talking about would be Boker's Smatchet....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
cerulean

Post by cerulean »

Excellent pics, Ted! :)

One way to use the forward lanyard hole is to string a single line of cord through both the blade hole and the hole at the bottom of the handle. If the cord is tight enough around your hand, you can let go of the knife and it will stay in the same position, with the handle across your palm. It's a lot safer than draping the lanyard loosely around your wrist.

Another way to use a forward lanyard hole is a design called the "Osborne Safety Lanyard". There was an issue of Knives Illustrated earlier this year that talked about its use in cutting competitions. It looks similar to Ted's pic with the lanyard around your wrist, but you twist the cord to take up the slack. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well for me with the Street Beat because the hole is too far forward and the knife is handle-heavy.

I personally think that the hole in the blade is just too impractical to use with a lanyard, at least on this knife. For one thing, the hole is pretty small, but it's also difficult or impossible to resheath the knife with a lanyard through the blade. On larger fixed-blades though, the forward lanyard hole might be more appreciated, as it could provide additional security during chopping.
Native Justice

Post by Native Justice »

... it's a shame there's no wear or sharpening marks on that baby! She was born to be used man! :D

Happy holidays everyone!

NJ
Be safe.

NJ

“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai

Post by 224477 »

Thanks for sharing those wonderful pics Ted, seeing your pics is like a gallery walk everytime... :cool:
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
JaM

Post by JaM »

Very nice knife (and picture). Maybe some day in the future (next year :confused: ??) I'll get myself a Streetbeat.

Thanks for sharing.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Nice pictures and good explanation, Ted!
I hope to see you this weekend......;-) ;)
Fred's knives are in transit as we speak..... :)
Jurphaas.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Blades

Post by Blades »

I saw a StreetBeat last weekend, very, very nice. It was sitting on the store shelf, saying my name over, and over. :)
Now I want one also. :)

Blades
--Jason--
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

thanks for the great photos Ted! You're not making my waitiing for this knife any easier you know! ;) :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."