How were you introduced to Spyderco...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rolyat1978

How were you introduced to Spyderco...

Post by rolyat1978 »

...and what was your first purchase? How many spydies do you currently own and what is your favorite?

I'll go first. A good friend of mine owned a Police model C-07. I quckily fell in love with his knife and my first purchase was a stainless steel Delica. My next purchase was a Harpy and a Civilian will definitely be my next. I really enjoy the Harpy for my standard carry as it functions well for any daily utility I might need and it would function well as a SD knife.(Although I don't entirely like the stainless steel handle, obviously the Civilian will replace it for SD as soon as I purchase it.)
eastr

Post by eastr »

I was introduct to spyderco by my dad he gave me my first delica when i was 16 it had the old frn clip . the clip streched and i lost it loved it so much bought onther same thing clip streched and it was lost was turly :( so i swore off spyderco and went to benchmade. I have a kodiak love it but then my dad showed me the manix and spyderco here i come i now have the temperance,manix,mini manix,d4,e4,d4 zdp189,and the byrds g-10 cara cara and medowlark,frn cara cara and medowlark and with the new steel they have as to the 440v i think it was i gess you can say i've gone spydie nuts collect them all they just keep getting better thinking abiut the para milly and the milly but also like the h1 salt talsi.
"THE ROUGH RIDER”“FAR BETTER IT IS TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS..THAN TO TAKE RANK WITH THOSE POOR. TIMID SPIRITS WHO KNOW NEITHER VICTORY NOR DEFEAT.” THEODORE ROOSEVELT 1899
spyderco making mans oldest tool mans most advanced tool:spyder:
THE GREATSET POWER IS OFTEN SIMPLE PATIENECE
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Zac

Post by Zac »

I broke a few Benchmades and prior to that I was carrying a Civilian for SD. Given how well it was engineered, I decided why not try a few other Spydercos so see if they follow the lead? They did and the company is quite respectable and builds on a good philosophy unlike many other manufacturers so here I am.
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i worked at a coffee shop... there was this little, lonely guy who came in every day, who always sat at the counter and would start talking about knives. i'd always listen to him... got interested in what he had to say... he used to bring a different spydie to show me every day. finally, i broke down and bought myself a chinook II -- "i just want one really good knife..." i told myself. 30-some spydies later, haaaaaaa hahahahahaha i was so young and naive!

right now, my favorite spydie is the ZDP jess horn, which i've carried nearly every day since i bought it. i'm also a fan of the salt series, the full-sized persian, the mili, my little dragonfly... oof -- better stop, or i'll just end up mentioning them all!
rolyat1978

Post by rolyat1978 »

eastr wrote:... so i swore off spyderco and went to benchmade...
I too am a fan of Benchmade, and your spyderco collection is very impressive.
rolyat1978

Post by rolyat1978 »

Zac wrote:I broke a few Benchmades and prior to that I was carrying a Civilian for SD...
Broke a few Benchmades? What were you using them for, man? Hammers? Screwdrivers? I've found my benchmade's are very tough(and they will replace them if they break, which I have yet to do) After reading your threads about Civilians, I've decided it will be my next purchase for sure.
JD Spydo

Baby Spyder steps

Post by JD Spydo »

When I started reading 2 of the better knife magazines ( BLADE and TACTICAL KNIVES) it was that same year that I went out and got 4 premium knives right away. That was back in 1995 and my first Spyderco was a stainless handled Mariner with GIN-1 blade steel and fully serrated. I had that knife up till earlier this year and I actually regret trading it.

I bought my first one from a vendor and a GUN SHOW booth here in Kansas City MO. It was a lady who told me she was a dealer from Houston TX. She had many Spyderco, Benchmade, Boker and about 4 other top notch brands. It wasn't long after that I ended up buying more knives at the next Gun Show. I will admit at the first part of my knife fanaticism that Benchmade & Boker were my 2 most bought and used blades. But when I got me a JD Smith in the late 90s along with 3 other Spyders I quickly saw my destiny unfold in front of me :cool:

I am now beyond a cure :rolleyes: ONly Felly Jr. exceeds me in my irrational knife buying :rolleyes: And only Doctor Hannibal Lecter is more obsessed than I am about Hawkbills :D
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Zac

Post by Zac »

The Presidio in 154CM has not been my friend and I am not a fan of 154 in general because it can be quite brittle. I broke a Presidio 520? (the larger drop point) by just opening it (it broke almost as the base of the blade) which I was later told was hydrocracking. I also broke a fixed blade Presidio...an awesome designed fixed blade but they harden it as much as their folders making it a bit too brittle to hack with. I found out the hard way. Now I really only use CRK hollow handles blades.
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
denn

Post by denn »

before Spyderco, i carried Al Mar and Buck. eventually i got tired of those lousy thumbstuds adn bought my first spydie, a PE Police. i was very pleased with it

a couple of months later, my brotehr asked me for knife-advice, since he was on the lookout for an SS gent's folder. he was looking at some models, like the SOG Gentleman and others, and i told him to get the Delica. he instantly liked it, but decided not to buy it, since "it was so expensive for just a knife"

so, i bought him one, and one for myself too a few weeks after that.

the rest is history........

i currently own 2 spyderco's. a cpm440v mili and a s30v mili. the latter is my fave
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

I was a Kershaw guy from back in the 80's and decided to try a Spydie in the 00's. I got hooked ... Nuff said.

Steve
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

I actually had a girlfriend get me into buying a knife (she just had some cheapies). First knife I bought was a Kershaw Leek, then picked up a Persian and a BM710 in about a week. I kind of cycle through my knives (if i'm not going to carry them, I sell them off). So far I've cycled through a D'allara drop point, Persian, Jess Horn ZDP and a lil temp (non spydie sold off a Benchmade Ares and 710 HS) and I've kept a waved Endura, Delica ZDP (blue), Cricket (on my second, first was lost with my bag), Temperance, Cara Cara G10, Caly 3, Atlantic Salt, Standard and I've got a G10 meadowlark on the way.

Cara Cara probably gets most carry time right now with the cricket and a boker Wharcom (it's almost Spyderco cause it's designed by Chad!) sharing time in the back pocket, though all the other's cycle through carry time. I guess I keep coming back to Spyderco because of the invention in their knives, the quality and the value for money. Got my eyes on a ZDP Lum (hope i can get one!!) and the magnetic folder (and possibly almite copilot, looks sweet)

Roger
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I was really into cold steel and benchmade when I was a bit younger, but CS wasn't quite up to snuff qualitywise, and BM was to pricey for what you get. Ultimately, I bought a Police. It has hung on my side ever since, and now it has a few buddies to hang out with in the knife drawer. A real love at first sight kinda deal for me.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Jim70

Post by Jim70 »

My first introduction to Spydercos was through Forums. Everywhere I went people recommended the Native so I picked one up and loved it. In truth I never really like Spydercos because all I'd seen were the Hawkbills and serrated edges which I still don't like :o After I bought my Native I started paying more attention to the rest of their line like the Para Military and Military. I really like the ZDP Jess Horn for my work knife, it's perfect for my line of work. I use it for cutting a lot paper, cardboard, plastic strapping and other packing materials.
Heres a Pic of my collection I've added a few since, and I need to learn how to take better pictures.
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

My first :spyder: was a SE Khalsa. I was attracted to the funky design. One of the things I like most about Spyderco is the creative energy. Sal creates and brings in many interesting thoughtful designs. Pleasing to the eye and to the hand.
EarthDog
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

EarthDog wrote:My first :spyder: was a SE Khalsa. I was attracted to the funky design. One of the things I like most about Spyderco is the creative energy. Sal creates and brings in many interesting thoughtful designs. Pleasing to the eye and to the hand.
Good point Earthdog. Spyderco comes up with some great new designs outside the bounds of "normal," yet they all end up being incredibly functional. As a side note, looking forward to the redesigned para.
Roger
bigkahunasix

Long, long ago in a not too different world

Post by bigkahunasix »

I was on a seemingly useless search for a knife that could be operated during high stress activities with one hand. I had tried autos (spotty quality,fragile), modified Bucks/Old Timers (just not satifactory) , Balisongs (to much large movement to open), several others including some small fixed blades with no luck. I needed it to work while parachuting, rappeling, rock climbing, etc...
Then at a gun show I found the Spyders (1983 Worker) bought 2 and quit looking for anything else that day. I have carried 2 spyders (at least) from that day on (I was very happy the next year when the Police model came out). I have used spydercos to the EXTREME and have never been disappointed. They are simply outstanding. 23 years and still loyal.
Bigk6
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
wec12

Post by wec12 »

Less than a year ago, I was MSN-messengering with my younger brother and he gave a link to Spyderfly; now, NO SPYDERCO, ABSOLUTELY NO WALLET BLEEDING! However, never handled a Spyderfly :p .
█ Copycat :mad: █
█ A.K.A. Mr.Dissector █
█ "Think before You Cut" --- Sal Glesser. █
cgjones

Post by cgjones »

I was in Australia in 1994 and met a guy that had a Delica. The image of that knife stayed in my mind until 1997, when I bought my first Spyderco (a Delica), for a trip to Europe. I had a nice little collection of the Rescue model for awhile, then realized I really wasn't a collector, so I sold them off one by one. I currently own two Pacific Salts, a Ladybug, three kitchen knives and a Sharpmaker.
Carson
markg

Post by markg »

I will show my age...

I think I remember seeing an ad for the then new, Delica and Endura! I think it was in "Fighting Knives Magazine" (any one remember that one? That mag rocked!) I had seen the Spyderco Clipits in another magazine (it was one of those big Guns and Ammo specials on knives). The new FRN handles (which were black and not that shiny stainless steel) really got me interested, plus they were not as expensive (and I was a student at the time, heck I am still a student!) I got my first Endura in 1991ish time frame from the long defunct knife chain, Cutlery World. It was a SE with the skinny integrated clip.

My second Spyderco came not too long after that, it was a Co-Pilot. I am sure I have had or now have well over 50+ Spyderco's.
MacTech

Post by MacTech »

I always carried a knife of some sort, in high school, various SAK's (yes, we could and did bring knives to school back then), some time in the nineties, isaw a rather unique knife with a hole in the blade and integrated pocket clip, it looked weird, to say the least, but at the time, i was a poor college student and it was too expensive

somehow, the unmistakeable profile of the Endura stuck in the back of my mind, it was just cool, and utilitarian

i went through all the NKP stages during college, i used my Vic SwissCamp to the bone, broke the main blade off, and tossed it out (i had no idea that Vics had lifetime warranties....), was knifeless for a couple years, then later on, decided i needed a "good knife".....

i went to a chain sporting goods store and purchased a Gerber EZ-Out, as the oval-ish hole reminded me of that cool knife i saw back in the nineties with the hole in the blade

amazingly enough, the EZ-Out lasted at least 5 years or so, tolerated bad sharpening attempts on benchstones, endured carbide scrapers, and generally held it's own, it didn't fall apart, but neither did it take a decent edge.....

about a year and a half or so ago, i was in my local sporting goods store, looking at the used knives, and saw a rather large 4" blade folder with a splinter-picker tip, combo edge and and a round hole in the blade, i purchased it (an Endura 3) and it's been downhill ever since, that E3 started my addiction, and even though i did sell it to fund other Spydie purchases, i kinda' wish i didn't, at the time i thought it was "too big", but now i really miss it, even though i now have a superior E4 CE to replace it

but you know what they say, you never forget your first........Spydie ;)
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....