Black Blade vs. Silver Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Firefighter880

Black Blade vs. Silver Blade

Post by Firefighter880 »

In the past, I was crazy about the Spyders (and most other brands for that matter) with black blades. I loved the tactical and subdued look. I pretty much only bought knives with black blades. When the Military came out, I bought a black bladed CE thinking that it would be my favorite knife ever. I ended up not carrying it much due to lock problems, but I noticed that it, along with most all of my other black bladed knives, are not a pretty sight if used regularly. As soon as they are used, the blade is marred in a way that really shows. The scratches shine through like a flashlight, whereas a scratch on a silver blade hardly shows up.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the look of the black blade, but I have stopped using these knives as EDC knives, because I want to keep them looking good. I have now switched my preference to the extreme opposite, resorting to purchasing only Spydercos and other knives with silver blades.

My question to you is: Do you feel the same way and notice the same thing? Are your black blades kept as "Safe Queens," while the silver blades go out in the field and get the hardcore use, or am I just too picky?

:spyder:
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

Went through the black blade thing early on and did not find them satisfactory in the wear dept. either. So, now I just do not buy them (unless I get a good deal ;) ). Now if I want a non-reflective surface I just bead blast them. (even blast the black ones if the finish is too far gone)
By the way safe queens are evil :eek: , all the goodness in a fine blade is sucked out if it is kept in a safe and never allowed to lead a productive life doing what it was designed to do. :rolleyes: Jim
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

I own zero black bladed knives, hope that answers your question.
"A little temperance is a good thing" -- Sal Glesser

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My black blade knives fall into two categories:

1) Old Military knives such as USN Mk II/USMC KABAR
2) Mall Ninja pieces I bought when I was a teenager

I have completely removed blade coatings from a couple of knives after they got scratched up severly. The way I use my knives, that sometimes takes up to an hour :rolleyes:
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
RLR

Post by RLR »

I only have one black blade knife, a Mel Pardue Benchmade. It is more of a gentleman's knife, but also has great lubricity. They got the coating right on this one. Flat gound, thin blade, with a slick coating. It's my annual pumpkin carving knife. But, apart from that, no black blades. And not a fan of bead blast either. I like the mirrors, those are my thing!
Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

Firefighter880 wrote: My question to you is: Do you feel the same way and notice the same thing? Are your black blades kept as "Safe Queens," while the silver blades go out in the field and get the hardcore use
:spyder:

In a word... yes
JD Spydo

Really tough to clean black/coated blades

Post by JD Spydo »

Well Firefighter I am on the very same page as you are on now. I know exactly what you are alluding to. I have a C-46 Bob Lum Tanto folder that is really near & dear to my heart and it one of my "special occasion"/bragging folders. But it has a black blade that like you when I first got it I was just blown away and you wouldn't believe all the "ooohs!! & awwhhs!!! I got from my friends concerning the looks of that knife.

But after using it a few times the black blade has gotten marred just like you say and I have tried a myriad of cleaners, polishes and polishing cloths but I can't get it to look anywhere as pretty as it was when I got it 18 months ago. It now makes me really question the long term potential collector appreciation that it may not get because of that.

If any of you know how to clean or restore these black blades I am all ears.

Now I know that not all black blades are coated with the same type of coating. Great thread. I want to know more
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

My only black blade is my Fallkniven White Whale (I know - kind of an oxymoron and one that I've never figured out - oh well :rolleyes: ). It too has the wear you're refering to but it's just me in the kitchen so..... who cares?

EDCs are all just steel.

BTW - I feel the same way about highly polished blades (some Case knifes have this finish) for the same reason. They really show even minor scratches.

Ken
玉鋼
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

JD Spydo wrote: If any of you know how to clean or restore these black blades I am all ears.
I want to know more
HAVE YOU TRIED A BLACK SHARPIE JD? :D :D :D
huugh

Post by huugh »

I have only one black coated knife - Ranger RD6 (5160 steel) and I am happy the coating is there - for carbon steel, some kind of rust protection, be it coating, blueing or passivity etch, is a really useful feature.

But I guess I will never understand the purpose of coated stainless blades (especially in folders).
APS

Post by APS »

I don't like black blades in general mostly b/c of scratching issues.

I think that the BEST stainless finish is what's on the Sebenza and Benchmade Ritter Griptillians - I think it's called "stonewashed"?. I wish Spyderco put that finish on their S30 blades.

Adam
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I really don't have a preference for black or silver blades, but I usually choose silver cause of the possible scratching (and I don't want to look like a mall ninja).

Here's a crazy idea for those black blade lovers, give the black byrds a try. That coating is quite tough, I have yet to put a scratch in my raven, and it took a long time of wet sanding to take the coating off my crow.
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

i have a black-blade delica3 that i bought used. it has some scratches to the blade, but i don't safe queen my knives so it really doesn't bother me. i did try to cover up the scratches with a permanent black marker, but the results were not great -- it looked ok from a distance but close up you could still see the scratches. i like the look of them, but would probably not buy another one unless i got a really good price because of the scratching issue.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
JD Spydo

NO!! I prefer a Highlighter

Post by JD Spydo »

fellyjr wrote:HAVE YOU TRIED A BLACK SHARPIE JD? :D :D :D
Felly it's bad enough that you nailed those 2 VG-10 Zowada models :mad: But this is just about going to far :rolleyes: The audacity of what you just said. Forgivness will come very slowly for that last comment :rolleyes: :D :D

Hmm?? Why not just coat in Dark Chocolate huh? :rolleyes:
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

JD Spydo wrote: Hmm?? Why not just coat in Dark Chocolate huh? :rolleyes:
Why not?? They did it with a cell phone and it seems to be a big hit :D :D
JD Spydo

Thank you!!! STonewashed

Post by JD Spydo »

APS wrote:I don't like black blades in general mostly b/c of scratching issues.

I think that the BEST stainless finish is what's on the Sebenza and Benchmade Ritter Griptillians - I think it's called "stonewashed"?. I wish Spyderco put that finish on their S30 blades.

Adam
Now Adam you hit that one out of the park with 2 men on base. I have sang the praises of STONEWASHED blade finishes for some time now. I finally got my Swick and it just looks fabulous with it's Stonewashed finish.

IF the Great Spyder Factory does more of these Stonewashed blades then the Black Blade will quickly become extinct.

I am amazed that more isn't said about that finish :confused:
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I carried Black bladed knives while in the Army - Emerson CQC-7 & a Ontario Spec-Op Aviator Fixed blade. Simple reason was to reduce shiny stuff from being spotted at a distance and at night. Sure they got scuffed up with use, but then I don't buy safe-queens. Sometime after I got out of the Army I reverted back to standard finish on my knives. No need to pay the extra money for a finish I really don't need anymore.

Got to agree on the Stonewash finish though, I really like it best.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

Halfneck wrote: Got to agree on the Stonewash finish though, I really like it best.
i'll toss my vote in for the stonewash finish as well. i'd like to see more spydies with that finish.

did your sig halfneck! i was a DH back in the day....... :D
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

JD, Try checking with Robbie Barkmann at ROBAR Inc. on the web. He does almost all of my firearms coatings on everything from carry guns to M2 Browning .50 cal. machine guns (Yes I have some interesting toys and clients.) His work is the gun industry benchmark, it ain't cheap but it is first class. My 1911 has his Black Ti coating and after 5 years of hard use and use by myself and some of my students I can find no discernable wear except on the frame rails. Had not thought about it until this thread but should work well on knives. Jim
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

bigkahunasix wrote:By the way safe queens are evil :eek: , all the goodness in a fine blade is sucked out if it is kept in a safe and never allowed to lead a productive life doing what it was designed to do. :rolleyes: Jim
Jim, I completely agree. I've never been one for safe queens (until recently when I've been trying to save my black blades :( ) I figure if I'm gonna pay for a good knife, that knife is gonna get used!

P
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native