knife laws for felons in Florida

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knifefan

knife laws for felons in Florida

Post by knifefan »

Hello! New to the forum and knife enthusiast since day one. My question,as you can see from the title, are the laws pertaining to ownership of a pocketknife by a felon. My felony is not one of a violent offense,but rather a trumped up burglary charge from when was 18. Anyway it's been 8 years since and while I know I've had my right to own a gun erased, I only found out recently that I could be in danger of another offense simply because I faithfully carry my Endura C-10 on my waistband on a daily basis. I'm probably the only bad seed on this forum, but would be welcome to any feedback from anyone who knows about the legal aspects of knife possesion by a felon in Florida, or any state. Is it just plain illegal, or is there guidelines(i.e. blade length,type,etc). Thanks!
Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

WELCOME! Yeah... I'm in the same boat, only in Wisconsin. I wish I could tell you, but the WI laws I look at seem to be very vague. I suppose it's got a lot to do with the officer's discretion. They decide if you pose a threat. Kind of sad really. Quite frankly though, I carry a tactical folder everyday and don't care what they think or do. Ultimately I behave, mind my own business, and get left alone. Don't give 'em a reason to!

4 Out of 5 voices recommend playing with matches; the 5th one tells me to play with sharp things. The Gatekeeper
knifefan

Post by knifefan »

Thanks man! Glad to see I'm not the only one out there. Florida's laws are vague as **** too. The only thing their clear on is "switches". I don't even know if a Fl. felon can possess a knife legally. If anybody knows any sites that break down the laws in laymans terms it would be greatly appreciated.
knifefan

Post by knifefan »

Thanks man! Glad to see I'm not the only one out there. Florida's laws are vague as **** too. The only thing their clear on is "switches". I don't even know if a Fl. felon can possess a knife legally. If anybody knows any sites that break down the laws in laymans terms it would be greatly appreciated.
knifefan

Post by knifefan »

Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

You may find someone who knows here:http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/index ... 44a7ca50c4

4 Out of 5 voices recommend playing with matches; the 5th one tells me to play with sharp things. The Gatekeeper
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Knifefan. Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Knife laws are vaugue everywhere, intentionally so. That is what AKTI is all about, trying to organize and standardize knife laws, but it is a dificult task.

sal
earthworm

Post by earthworm »

Most states have provision in their laws for
felons to apply thru the courts for restoration of their rights to vote,own arms,etc.I'd suggest y'all see a lawyer about this.It's a state-by-state,case-by-case & likely a judge-by-judge(hopefully you won't get some hardass'once a crook always a crook'fogey)situation,but it can't hurt to ask.CYA!
earthworm

Post by earthworm »

Most states have provision in their laws for
felons to apply thru the courts for restoration of their rights to vote,own arms,etc.I'd suggest y'all see a lawyer about this.It's a state-by-state,case-by-case & likely a judge-by-judge(hopefully you won't get some hardass'once a crook always a crook'fogey)situation,but it can't hurt to ask.CYA!
earthworm

Post by earthworm »

Apologies for double post.Glitch.
ftkinney

Post by ftkinney »

i'm not a felon but since first grade though highschool i was the "bad seed".

FTK
Allen E. Treat

Post by Allen E. Treat »

To : Knifefan ;
Having worked for an attorney, I can safetly say that you
should have no problem carrying your
spydie ; Police generally don't harass
citizens like yourself. However, if you
get caught in some sort of criminal
act ( i.e. burglury, rape, armed robbery, etc
) then the Police may, in addition to
charging you with the crime at hand,