Spyderco C15 Robert 'Bob" Terzuola Starmate

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you purchase a new run of a Terzuola Starmate?

Yes, I would buy it and EDC it
40%
Yes, I would buy it and not EDC it
13%
No, I would not buy it
36%
I am not sure
11%

Total votes: 45

Zac

Spyderco C15 Robert 'Bob" Terzuola Starmate

Post by Zac »

This is my all time favorite liner lock produced...not just by Spyderco but by anyone. It is also one of the most attractive G10 knives in existence. Sadly, it is not currently in production. I love the blade design and I love the Combo Edge as it is a true 50/50 knife and gives generous amounts of serrations but plenty of straight edge. It is one of my EDCs next to my Military and Chinook II despite the slightly older steel and the fact that the rarity of these make them a collector piece (who cares, knives are meant to cut, not sit on velvet).

For those of you who do not know about it, the Terzuola Starmate is a G10 folder which used CPM-440V; a steel known for corrosion resistance only second to H1, sporting excellent impact resistance and having about a 57-58 HRC and known to be the hardest modern cutlery steel to sharpen. It is also called CPM-S60V and is no longer made. The blade is an unusual hollow grind and is a modified spear point which excels in cutting. As said earlier, the lock is a nested liner that does not have the grooves like the Military. The blade has a thickness of 4mm and is about 3.75 inches long. It is exceptionally light and carry is tip down. Here are some pictures:

http://www.knifeforums.com/uploads/1159 ... te_002.jpg

http://www.knifeforums.com/uploads/1159 ... te_004.jpg

http://www.knifeforums.com/uploads/1159 ... te_001.jpg

I want to know who would buy a Starmate if it were to come back as there were at one point plans for a rerun which never happened. Consider the 'new' Starmate to have G10, the same blade design, a liner lock, and CPM-S30V steel and would retail at about $190 realistically sell at about $125. Would you buy this knife? Additionally, would you EDC it? For those not interested, please explain why! Let the debate begin!
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It is really hard for me to say, simply because I have never seen one in person, much less held one. I like the shape, but generally prefer thinner blades to thicker ones, and flat grind to saber grind. I only have one 440V blade (a Lil' Temp) and have had no trouble sharpening it. If I did buy one, I would carry it. Just like I carry my BGCF Military.

If they made another run, I would at least take a look at it, but I have to be pretty sure I'll use it before I spend that much on something I haven't handled.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I'll be one of the few, but I gotta say the Starmate does nothing for me. Does not appeal to me for any reason. :o
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

smcfalls13 wrote:I'll be one of the few, but I gotta say the Starmate does nothing for me. Does not appeal to me for any reason. :o

I have never seen a Terzuola design I like.
"A little temperance is a good thing" -- Sal Glesser

Th232

Post by Th232 »

Hmm... personally, not sure about this one. Although admittedly, there's only so much you can tell from a picture.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

spydutch

Post by spydutch »

If they make the serrated part of the knife AT LEAST 60%, I would most certainly buy and EDC it :D ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

Hi Zac,

I think that the Starmate is model C55, the C15 is the first Spydie/Terzoula collaboration. The C15 was just called the Bob Terzuola model, this design was also produced as the smaller C19 Bob Terzuola Jr.

The C15 was introduced in 1990, the C19 in about 1993 and the Starmate in 1999.*

Bruceter

*This is what happens when you are cruising the forums at the same time as flipping thru "The Spyderco Story" at the same time.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Spoke to Bob T about it at NYCKS, he'd love to do it
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

If I had hundreds of extra dollars lying around after I had purchased like 4 other knives that were higher up on the list, then yes, I would buy one. However I would have a tough time carrying it because it's a liner lock. I don't trust them anymore. So I guess actually no; I wouldn't buy it.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
dialex

Post by dialex »

Not very sure either. The knife is great and good looking, but I'd like a complock there instead of the linerlock.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.

Post by 224477 »

I dont like the way linerlock was made. I am a lefty and I dont like the linerlock there. Maybe if it was a LH linerlock /we can dream LOL!/...
There are other knives I would like more to get back to production or as a sprint run at least /C54 :D /...
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
JD Spydo

No Terzuola for me

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted NO. I had 2 of the Terzuola models at one time and now I don't. Hint: I only keep the ones I really love for the long haul.

Now I will admit that the Starmate is the better looking of the 3 but there are dozens of Spyders I like better than it.

I'm not chiming in to be a contrarian but I did think that you wanted an honest poll
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
APS

Post by APS »

I voted No for the Starmate.

Now, I would definately vote a hearty YES! to bring back the C15 G10.

Adam
cmassicotte

Post by cmassicotte »

The Starmate was my second "high end" Spydie - the first was a Military. I loved the Starmate - I carried it for almost two years, when, much to my dismay the clip broke and I lost it somewhere.

I found a second one at John Jensen, and carry it occaisionally.

So.......

Yes, I would get another.

Chuck
There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Zac

Post by Zac »

So far the results are rather disappointing but the honestly is appreciated
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
lerman

Post by lerman »

I say yes, it looks like a great user, i would buy one, if I'll find the older one in a nice price I'll buy it, but right now i have no $$$.
HoB

Post by HoB »

[quote="Zac"]
For those of you who do not know about it, the Terzuola Starmate is a G10 folder which used CPM-440V]

I really like the Starmate and would like to see a sprint run. I don't think I would like to see it made in S60V though. Where did you get that information on S60V, are you working in advertisement? The part with the "excellent impact resistance" is definitely not correct no matter what measure you take and "known for corrosion resistance only second to H1"....that is a bold claim and even though I don't know the pitting potentials, I have serious doubts.